Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 09-20-2019, 12:54 PM   #76
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2018 iPad Pro 12.9", KO2, Paperwhite 2019
Search isn't working at all correctly for me either.

Not going to register at another forum. Keep the info here, where knowledgeable members already are, and can interact. There is a basis of trust here already
Deskisamess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 01:46 PM   #77
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, iPad 9.7, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
Yeah, I already found that, but 116 pages is intimidating and it still doesn't say what OPDS or COPS stands for. Thanks anyway.
OPDS = Open Publication Distribution System

It's basically an RSS feed designed specifically for ebook distribution. It got its roots from Stanza catalogs, iirc.

For example, here's the OPDS catalog for Project Gutenberg.
http://m.gutenberg.org/ebooks.opds/

Calibre's built-in server has its own OPDS feed (I think it's at http://<your-ip>:<port>/opds).

For folks wanting something more lightweight than Calibre or easy to deploy on run-of-the-mill Apache/PHP online web hosting, there's COPS.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 01:51 PM   #78
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcohen View Post
Hi everyone,

Sorry you are so upset. This is a serious mistake that we are currently working on fixing. I'm doing my best. This new update was to get the codebase up to swift standards. I did not anticipate the issues with it deleting everything in everyone's library.

As for the crazy difference in prices. We were just running different pricing models to check out the differences in conversion rates.

The subscription model is best for the business as a whole and will incentivize the team to work on a lot of updates. Unfortunately, our first update was crap so I'm sure that left a bad taste in your mouth. If you do not wish to continue with the updates I completely understand. The change is going to be to $.99 per month. We have had a lot of community members add lots of great suggestions to the trello board which we plan to immplement. Hope you all stick around to see all the new (much better) updates.
One comment restore the old app as-is without any fixes for people who have already paid and release the new subscription version as a completely separate app (similar to what Infuse does).
Old 09-20-2019, 01:54 PM   #79
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
I'm new to IOS, but not CC on Android. Too bad a fine piece of software has been ruined by someone's greed. Obviously IOS CC is no longer an option to me - can someone direct me to where I can find out how to get ebooks from Calibre to Marvin?
I don't know what OPDS means.

Found out how, in case anyone else needs to know:
https://www.wikihow.com/Set-Up-Calib...nc-with-Marvin
Note, this hasn't worked since iOS 8 or 9, I believe.
Old 09-20-2019, 01:57 PM   #80
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2018 iPad Pro 12.9", KO2, Paperwhite 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
One comment restore the old app as-is without any fixes for people who have already paid and release the new subscription version as a completely separate app (similar to what Infuse does).
Good idea. The reviews aren't great to begin with in the Apple store, there are a few new 1 star reviews since this happened.

I rarely pay more than a couple of bucks for apps. $10 was a splurge...no way I'm paying more, especially considering this debacle.
Deskisamess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 03:05 PM   #81
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I rarely pay more than a couple of bucks for apps. $10 was a splurge...no way I'm paying more, especially considering this debacle.
I'm fine paying for apps. However, I prefer one-time expenditures and fixed fee upgrades/unlocks instead of recurring subscriptions to keep existing app usable. Still, I understand how the subscription model supports continued development.

I paid for CC on both Android and iOS. With the built-in OPDS, Dropbox and metadata support on Moon+ Reader Pro and Marvin, though, I've never really used CC. I'd be more inclined to pay a sub for Marvin if that means bug fixes/minor enhancements and support for newer devices (e.g. models with FaceID).
Old 09-20-2019, 03:45 PM   #82
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Good idea. The reviews aren't great to begin with in the Apple store, there are a few new 1 star reviews since this happened.

Yes, I understand that a lot of people feel that way, but that is an unsustainable business model for app developers who write apps that have a limited audience, such as CC or Marvin. So the choice becomes do you want abandonware because the developer doesn't make enough money to justify the effort, or do you want to pay for the app to be maintained and enhanced?

There are a handful of apps that I use regularly, such as CC and Marvin that I really want to see maintained. Other apps I'm not willing to do that with. It's a choice that consumers face.

Apple introduced the subscription model a few years ago because of this dynamic. Apps with larger audiences can go the ad supported route. Personally, for apps I use every day, I would rather go the subscription route rather than the ad route. Some apps offer an ad free subscription for that reason.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 05:52 AM   #83
smoke2002
smoke2002 began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7.0
Sam,

I am thoroughly disappointed in how this update was handled. The fact that you knew people’s libraries would be wiped out & still allowed the update to be released is inexcusable. You need to man up & take the blame...not pass it off on your team. I personally have no trust in anything you say now..

I wouldn’t mind paying a one-time fee for an upgrade, but I definitely will not pay a subscription for an app that I already paid for....especially considering how this fiasco was handled. I will find another way to handle my library now.

I might only be one customer, but from the looks of the App Store reviews There are others who are very upset with the way this was handled.

I wish you good luck in trying to earn back your customers trust...so far you haven’t done such a good job.
smoke2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:09 AM   #84
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Thank you all you iOS folks for the heads up. I will make a note not to update my Android app as it works quite well for me and I use it daily.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 09:07 AM   #85
samcohen
samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
If anyone is interested in testing the next test flight for IOS please send me your email in PM. I made a big mistake. Just trying to do right now.
samcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 09:33 AM   #86
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro 2018, Lg 8.3, Ipad Mini 5, Nexus7.2, Note 8, Kobo Aura 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
OPDS = Open Publication Distribution System

It's basically an RSS feed designed specifically for ebook distribution. It got its roots from Stanza catalogs, iirc.

For example, here's the OPDS catalog for Project Gutenberg.
http://m.gutenberg.org/ebooks.opds/

Calibre's built-in server has its own OPDS feed (I think it's at http://<your-ip>:<port>/opds).

For folks wanting something more lightweight than Calibre or easy to deploy on run-of-the-mill Apache/PHP online web hosting, there's COPS.
ilovejedd, again you come through! Thanks so much.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 10:43 AM   #87
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
ilovejedd
I have disabled auto update for that Android app (I also don't auto-update others that I rarely use. Why burn bandwidth )
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 07:51 PM   #88
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Yeah, I already found that, but 116 pages is intimidating and it still doesn't say what OPDS or COPS stands for. Thanks anyway.
COPS is Calibre OPDS (and HTML) PHP Server...
https://blog.slucas.fr/projects/cali...ds-php-server/

Looks like ilovejedd covered OPDS.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 09:08 AM   #89
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro 2018, Lg 8.3, Ipad Mini 5, Nexus7.2, Note 8, Kobo Aura 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
COPS is Calibre OPDS (and HTML) PHP Server...
https://blog.slucas.fr/projects/cali...ds-php-server/

Looks like ilovejedd covered OPDS.
Thanks so much to you both! Now I can research to my hearts content!
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 04:55 AM   #90
svenlind
Addict
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Mini 5, Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Thanks so much to you both! Now I can research to my hearts content!
Calibre's content server is actually quite easy to use. I use it to import books to Marvin and other readers.
It may not be so well suited if you want to import really many books at a time.

Look at this from the Calibre manual: https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/server.html
Marvin has a "Get Books" part where you can specify among other things "OPDS auto or Calibre Server". If the content server is set up as described in the link then you can directly and very conveniently access your books in Calibre.

I stopped using CC when I discovered this.

Last edited by svenlind; 09-24-2019 at 05:06 AM. Reason: More info:
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote