Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 12-29-2016, 07:22 PM   #16
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
When someone tells me that people will lose their eyes [sic], then I'm going to the closet to get my tin foil hat AND my Santa Claus hat.
As of the topic at hand there were no academic source from you except some 'tin foil hat' reference.

I told you that you cannot 'lose your eyes' but you can get a problem with farsightedness. So it can harm your eyes in some ways.

Except for the objective facts it is still a very unfriendly reaction. There is no reason to be insulting to other forum members just because they have a different level of knowledge. And it's not forum policy to attack other people by claiming they irrational and 'crazy' in some manner.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 05:46 AM   #17
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
As of the topic at hand there were no academic source from you except some 'tin foil hat' reference.

I told you that you cannot 'lose your eyes' but you can get a problem with farsightedness. So it can harm your eyes in some ways.

Except for the objective facts it is still a very unfriendly reaction. There is no reason to be insulting to other forum members just because they have a different level of knowledge. And it's not forum policy to attack other people by claiming they irrational and 'crazy' in some manner.
I meant that pochopsp said this and my comment referred to his ridiculous statement that one can lose one's eyes. He very clearly wrote that. See his post #4. -- His quote on that issue is absolute bull. This is misinformation and it should be addressed, which is exactly what I did.

However, studies have indicated that some individuals can have irritated eyes by prolonged reading on a back-lit device. And, of course, additional studies have shown circadian rhythms can be interrupted. Yes, prolonged reading - as you indicate - (especially from developing children) may result in eye issues. I've done the research, just like you.

But losing one's eyes. BS.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 12-30-2016 at 06:04 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 07:36 AM   #18
azw409
Connoisseur
azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.

Device: Solar powered Kobo Touch running Android, Onyx M96C, Likebook Mars
I guess losing your eyes is an exaggeration. My mother used to tell me that my eyes would go square watching TV but they haven't yet

There is definitely a comfort factor, I work on computers all day so I prefer eInk when I get home to get some rest from the glare especially shortly before retiring to bed.

Now my grandmother used to tell my father that reading in low light would make you blind, so take your pick - blindness or square eyes !
azw409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 02:07 PM   #19
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
Quote:
Originally Posted by billsmith008 View Post
It took a few months from my first purchase of the Onxy N96, that I ended up returning, to buy the Ipad Pro 12".

First, I have to say that initially I thought the Ipad Pro was WAY TOO BIG. I saw it at the store and thought it was bulky and HEAVY. But after getting it and using for a week I really like it. What sold me was watching various YouTube videos of people actually reading PDFs on one side of the screen and taking notes on the other size. Also you can watch video lecture on a floating window and take notes at the same time.

-You can surf the web at full size and its fast
-You can multi task from viewing PDFs on one side and taking notes on the other side.
-Reading books/PDFs is AWESOME!!! It's freak'n fast compared to the Onxy. Pages turn instantly. You can highlight with the apple pencil and it actually works with out any effort. You can book mark. The pdf files are organized and all the files are synced across devices.
-When you take notes with the apple pencil it actually works. When I was using the built in app with the Onxy it was like going back in time to the Palm Pilot. You can actually take notes on the Ipad and record the lecture at the same time so you never miss anything. It works great.
-You don't have to mess with all that stupid zoom in crap. You take notes at full size and it syncs up to all my devices. Just works. It also converts my handwriting to searchable text.
-You can actually touch type on the thing.
-Sound quality is pretty good.

I have no idea why the big pro is not taking off like hotcakes. Finally found the perfect PDF reading machine/note taking machine. Took me a year to RE-find it. LOL
I've pretty much similar experience but ended up with Google's Pixel Slate.
Main reason there's no large screen EInk device which is secure.

Edit: Forgot to mention I've considered Sony's Digital Paper but can't stand its limitations.

Last edited by fgdas; 09-21-2019 at 02:11 PM.
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 12:44 PM   #20
Faeryink
Zealot
Faeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmos

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2
I agree with Dr Drib's input to this discussion.
I read a few research papers on e-ink vs LCD screens on eye health and the opinion is divided. One of the larger studies undertaken in 2010 was sponsored and funded by LCD manufacturers.
My personal view is that the influence of both backlit LCD screens and frontlit e-ink screens (e-readers with this optional feature) needs a thorough investigation. Its a very complicated subject, but there are other elements that also come into play.
I had a lot of issues with LCD screens for a number of years and so I bought an Onyx Max 2 Pro which did help me. Then i had to sell my onyx e-reader to replace my broken macbook with a new imac. I have been ok with my Ipad Pro 12.9 inch with a higher refresh rate. I have been using the Ipad for reading and frankly its not too bad with the apple pencil. I haven't suffered from eye strain and headaches so far. But yes both ipad pro (with the higher refresh rate) and the Onyx e-ink reader are lovely devices.

Last edited by Faeryink; 09-22-2019 at 12:49 PM.
Faeryink is offline   Reply With Quote