Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-18-2019, 03:07 PM   #1
skymoo
skymoo began at the beginning.

Device: none
Mounting Glo HD under Linux

I'm in the process of switching my main system over to Linux from macOS. I've moved over my Calibre library and now I'm trying to set syncing working with my Kobo Glo HD however I can't get the e-reader to be recognized by Linux. I plug it into a USB port and it just starts charging. It doesn't seem to be recognized by Linux and as such I can't mount it in order to sync my library.

Does anyone know how I can get Linux to recognize my e-reader and mount it in order to sync?
skymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 03:54 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
It should just work!
Only an iPhone or iPad needs special treatment.

Check that a USB memory stick is recognised.
Try different cable.

Which Linux?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 04:33 PM   #3
DomesticExtremis
Addict
DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: default
Are you sure you have the right USB cable (some cheap ones are charging only, not data)?
Which Distro of Linux are you using?
Depending on which distro/desktop, you might need to run a utility to see what devices are attached.
Try running lsblk and lsusb from a terminal window before and after you insert the cable. If it is recognised, the device should show up in the output.
On my Fedora machine, it just works - the device is recognised and a file manager window showing the data drive pops up.

Last edited by DomesticExtremis; 09-18-2019 at 04:35 PM.
DomesticExtremis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 05:56 PM   #4
skymoo
skymoo began at the beginning.

Device: none
Not sure why but it's suddenly started working, thanks for all the suggestions.
skymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 06:45 PM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by skymoo View Post
Glad to hear that. I've never had any problem connecting to Kobos using Linux. (Linux Mint, in my case. But it shouldn't matter which "flavor.")
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 07:21 PM   #6
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by skymoo View Post
Next time it stops working, see if dmesg has anything interesting.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:45 PM   #7
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
I've come across this situation frequently. Kobo's used with Linux seem to be very sensitive to USB cables. Sometimes even a cable that has been working fine will stop working. The solution is to replace the cable. Often the original Kobo cable will work. A slightly better quality USB cable will also usually resolve the problem.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobi, linux, sync