Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 09-09-2019, 11:44 AM   #691
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Boox max 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracey1 View Post
Thanks for responding. What I meant by that is simply whether it does a good and sufficient job at things like browsing, researching and writing while used as a monitor. Reading your posts, I get the feeling that it certainly does those things well enough ? For example, I have an E ink phone and I find its performance more than sufficient for any task while others may find it unsatisfying.

Regarding the battery, is it possible to simply use the Max 2 with the battery being charged, just like you would use a laptop ?
The only big problem when using it as a monitor, is that the native app doesn't use the full screen resolution, so you are forced to use better alternatives like spacedesk, but those ones have a worse refresh rate, so you suffer if you try to scroll fast or use the mouse like a normal computer.

If you want to use a browser on the max, read and not move much between things with fast scrolling, and you use page up page down to do it, will work fine, If you are going to use it to edit text or similar things, also fine, otherwise, it's a hit and miss.

Last edited by whopper; 09-09-2019 at 01:41 PM.
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 03:46 PM   #692
tracey1
Addict
tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by whopper View Post
The only big problem when using it as a monitor, is that the native app doesn't use the full screen resolution, so you are forced to use better alternatives like spacedesk, but those ones have a worse refresh rate, so you suffer if you try to scroll fast or use the mouse like a normal computer.

If you want to use a browser on the max, read and not move much between things with fast scrolling, and you use page up page down to do it, will work fine, If you are going to use it to edit text or similar things, also fine, otherwise, it's a hit and miss.
Interesting. Can you define 'otherwise'?
I certainly would use it to do some research on the web and for writing essays for instance so being able to use a program like Word would be of great help.
tracey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 06:54 PM   #693
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Boox max 2
Quote:
Interesting. Can you define 'otherwise'?
I certainly would use it to do some research on the web and for writing essays for instance so being able to use a program like Word would be of great help.
using it as a normal desktop monitor. Moving windows, fast content like scrolling, multiple color palettes, switching constantly between apps, trying to use the mouse a lot, etc.

Last edited by whopper; 09-10-2019 at 12:08 AM.
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 01:51 PM   #694
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Device: Wexler Flex One, NookST, n96ml+
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
I don't know what you would do with it, but the most important thing in the past history was to overcome the SoloLite, with something fast /and normally featureful/ (do not forget that plenty of software does not work on the "Lite" CPU, e.g. in the context of "Monitor", standard proprietary Desktop Remote software) - which was done - and, achieved that, where would be the advantage of an Intel Core i9-9900K on an EPD based tablet?
If what you suggest is true, I am wrong to expect a performance increase. I suppose we'll find out (by seeing with our own eyes when watching videos of it) in the next few weeks.

It was said of "eewrite epad" that it has more responsive touch input than other devices. So I thought that there may be room for improvement there. Perhaps it's inconsequential.

I agree with your other points. I'm not a promoter I was just lazy in copying and pasting without comment.
Waiting4somethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 07:43 AM   #695
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Device: Wexler Flex One, NookST, n96ml+
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrrrun6L68s

Video of Max3 monitor mode.

Last edited by Waiting4somethin; 09-27-2019 at 07:47 AM.
Waiting4somethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 11:24 AM   #696
newnu
newnu can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternewnu can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternewnu can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternewnu can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternewnu can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternewnu can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternewnu can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternewnu can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternewnu can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternewnu can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternewnu can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: waveshare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting4somethin View Post
Look like the default contrast in text mode is a bit too extreme, insofar as it ruins the icons. But in a full-screen Terminal screen or MS Word screen that contrast level that could be fine.
newnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 02:44 PM   #697
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newnu View Post
Look like the default contrast in text mode is a bit too extreme, insofar as it ruins the icons. But in a full-screen Terminal screen or MS Word screen that contrast level that could be fine.
That is called A2. B/W - no 16 shades - to the advantage of speed.

With that mode you cannot get (e.g. font) smoothing.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 02:53 PM   #698
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Regarding the battery, is it possible to simply use the Max 2 with the battery being charged, just like you would use a laptop ?
Cable-wise, yes - but you would have to be near a power outlet. In mobility, you do not normally have those around. If you powered the tablet through the laptop, you would of course drain the laptop and wear its battery.

The lack of battery consumption optimization means that one would overdo device recharging, wearing it.
Old 09-29-2019, 02:59 PM   #699
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
The only big problem when using it as a monitor, is that the native app doesn't use the full [EPD display] screen resolution
That is the one problem that does not impact text editing and web browsing (or, only very minimally in comparison).

Quote:
better alternatives like spacedesk, but those ones have a worse refresh rate
Dramatically worse, also as people may be using Wi-Fi. Desktop remote should be done through cable. Which brings us to other lackings (tethering option, "do-not-charge-battery-while-USB-connected option" etc.)
Old 09-30-2019, 11:51 PM   #700
M4H35H
Connoisseur
M4H35H doesn't litterM4H35H doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-950, Hanvon E920, Onyx Boox Note Lite, Boox Max2
Quote:
"do-not-charge-battery-while-USB-connected option"
Why not use a "data only" USB cable?
M4H35H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 05:50 AM   #701
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4H35H View Post
Why not use a "data only" USB cable?
Preliminarly: finding them on the market. Could you please post some information about where to buy them data-only USB cables?

And in speculation: USB cables in which the "VCC", power (+5 volt) cable is disconnected (the rightmost when the four pins of the "flat" USB-A plug are facing upwards: in sequence they are "Ground, Data+, Data-, Power"), do not necessarily work - according to specifications, they easily may not.

But Android does have a flag which would disable battery charging (I think, along the lines of `echo 0 > /sys/class/power_supply/usb/device/charge` - not to be confused with other flags that only simulate power disconnection). But that is unavailable.

I think that, while there was discussion here about such cables in the past, nobody has tried them and posted results.

Last edited by mdp; 10-03-2019 at 05:53 AM.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:07 PM   #702
diabl0w
Connoisseur
diabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enough

Device: Max3
Quote:
Preliminarly: finding them on the market. Could you please post some information about where to buy them data-only USB cables?

And in speculation: USB cables in which the "VCC", power (+5 volt) cable is disconnected (the rightmost when the four pins of the "flat" USB-A plug are facing upwards: in sequence they are "Ground, Data+, Data-, Power"), do not necessarily work - according to specifications, they easily may not.

But Android does have a flag which would disable battery charging (I think, along the lines of `echo 0 > /sys/class/power_supply/usb/device/charge` - not to be confused with other flags that only simulate power disconnection). But that is unavailable.

I think that, while there was discussion here about such cables in the past, nobody has tried them and posted results.
I am a little confused, but it seems like you may know the answer to this question:

Is it possible to use USB peripherals via OTG while simultaneously charging the Max 3? I asked Onyx and they said yes, but I purchased this https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07J9...b_b_asin_title and OTG mode worked but doesn't charge the Max3 at the same time
diabl0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 12:53 AM   #703
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabl0w View Post
I am a little confused, but it seems like you may know the answer to this question:

Is it possible to use USB peripherals via OTG while simultaneously charging the Max 3? I asked Onyx and they said yes, but I purchased this https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07J9...b_b_asin_title and OTG mode worked but doesn't charge the Max3 at the same time
This charges the connected devices, not the Max.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 05:27 AM   #704
diabl0w
Connoisseur
diabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
This charges the connected devices, not the Max.
Isn't that what I indicated in my post? ... Anyway, the pass-through charging of it works when I use my my Galaxy Note 8 as the host, so I know its not an issue with the adapter. Still looking for something that does the same for the Max 3
Old 10-04-2019, 06:42 AM   #705
diabl0w
Connoisseur

Sorry for the OT, but I did figure out a little trick. If you plug in the hub and power supply into Max3 without anything else attached and then reboot, it will be charging upon boot. Then if you insert the keyboard and mouse, it still wont work, only still charging... but if you are rooted you can "echo '1' > /sys/class/power_supply/usb/usb_otg" anddddd... viola! You have charging + OTG!