Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-19-2006, 12:48 AM   #1
kaufman
Calibre Companion Fanatic
kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kindle Voyage
Questions about updating index after adding books to Memroy card

I just purchased an Sony reader for myself and one for my father. I am setting up mine with a bunch of books, and then I am just going to copy the contents of my memory card to a second card for my father. Two questions:

1) When I add a book to the card, I have an annoying delay while the index is updated. I have a second delay when I change font sizes for the first time. I am adding about 100 files, and I would rather not have to open them one at a time. Is there a way to force the reader to update the index for all books at the same time?

2) My dad is 71, and needs the large font. Is there any way to get the reader to default to the large font for all books?

Thanks, Michael
kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 01:34 AM   #2
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
The obvious answer would be to add all the files onto your device by using the Connect software (even for books on the sd card). The index might even go with the SD card copy to your father's device.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2006, 09:50 AM   #3
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaufman
I
2) My dad is 71, and needs the large font. Is there any way to get the reader to default to the large font for all books?

Thanks, Michael
If you are using .rtf books, you can increase the font size using MS Word or Open Office (free SW), save the .rtf with the larger font and add to his reader. This is what I do for my mother but I've also started doing for myself. The general consensis is that and 18 point to 20 point font in .rtf works best for general users. I have to go to 36 or 40 point font for my mother who is nearly legally blind.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 01:24 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I think if you open the books in the Connect Software, and change them to the L font, and then xfer them to the card, they'll open in L on the reader.

Regarding the copying and the opening delay ... I haven't tried this, so it's mostly a guess, but if you copy the entire 'Sony Reader' directory (that the software makes) from the first card to the second one, the Reader may accept the cache.xml data and not re-do the indexing. I'd suggest that if you try this, you check it on your own Reader before handing the card to your dad.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote