Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-13-2009, 09:25 AM   #61
nelsonescorcio
Zealot
nelsonescorcio doesn't litternelsonescorcio doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen 3
The absolutely only thing I miss about treebooks (I like the word) is the better contrast. The contrast ratio of actual e-ink screens must improve. With good light, it's fine. But if you read at night, in bed, with a not so bright light, than you feel the diference. The paper is still superior in this regard.

I hope the next generation of e-ink devices come fast! (2010 will be the year, it seems)

I haven't read a treebook for about 16 months now! (seems like I am in some kind of therapy!)

Regards

Last edited by nelsonescorcio; 10-14-2009 at 09:32 AM.
nelsonescorcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:47 PM   #62
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Getcha, Nelson -- it's not exactly jet black on sheer white (is that the best presentation?), but the whole idea is in its infancy and things can only get better. Tell you what, though; after over half a century of reading in bed, I find an ereader -- with all its faults -- vastly superior to a treebook for many practical reasons. Like others here, I've found that the amount of recreational reading I do now that I have an e-reader has vastly increased. And -- I kid you not -- I'm a died-in-the-wool bookworm who prefers reading to (almost) anything. Hoots. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2009, 01:32 PM   #63
narbeauchamp
Groupie
narbeauchamp has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS700BC/PRS505/TZ350N/MacBook/Aspire One/iPad/iPhone/BB 9630
I still have thousands of pbooks ,and still purchase them. I often can't decide if I want to buy something electronically,that ultimately I probably want to read and swap. I do wish it were easier to share books .I think what I am going to start doing,is have a "loaner reader" (which will probably be my 505,once its fixed,or maybe even a prs 300)-so that I can have an additional device on my account-where when I want to share a book (obviously with a very close friend or relative,so I can keep track of the device)-I would simply loan them the reader like I normally loan them a book. I have for many years done swaps with friends and family,am just now starting to do so with people I don't really know.Plus,I really enjoy traditional books still. I don't really see one replacing the other,just enhancing-so that I can read more,when I'm away from home especially.
narbeauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:42 AM   #64
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Maybe I'm in an unusual situation being exclusively English-reading (as far as novels are concerned) in a quiet part of France. Originally, new books were bought from English bookshops in Cannes and Nice (count on paying up to double cover price). Then a few years ago, health problems kicked in and I became housebound and reliant on online stores with P&P charges from the UK or US again doubling the cost of books -- sometimes P&P can be several times the price of a discounted book. Maybe this makes me heavily biased in favour of ebook readers. Pay once for the device and then read what you like without fear of the poor house. I do have a strong feeling, though, that I'd be an enthusiastic ereader fan even without the local hitch. Cheers. Neil
Old 10-14-2009, 11:07 AM   #65
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & Simple & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
With ruthless dedication, I've consigned about five-hundred books to the dumpster. I doubt they'll ever be replaced by new treebooks -- who needs 'em? N
I could never throw books into a dumpster, certainly not 500 of them.

Unless you weere using a figure of speech.

Any I decide to, um, release, would go to a local charity shop or in a few instances to eBay.
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2009, 11:15 AM   #66
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I could never throw books into a dumpster, certainly not 500 of them.

Unless you weere using a figure of speech.

Any I decide to, um, release, would go to a local charity shop or in a few instances to eBay.
at least donate them to the local library or friends of the library book sale...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 04:08 AM   #67
neilmarr
neilmarr

I literally can't give English-language books away anywhere here. There used to be a local English church jumble sale years ago where I'd donate scores of books every three months, but that's defunct now. I've stacked the shelves in a couple of nearby holiday apartments where English-speaking visitors sometimes hang out, some local dentist and doctor waiting rooms now have a few titles and I've given as many as they'll accept to local hotels. I have also stored/displayed other books in good condition in the communal garage at my own place where any English-speaking visitors vacationing here can help themselves, but as for the others ... I'm afraid it's the dumpster.

Breaks my heart to see millions of heart-wrung words trashed (I've been a pro writer and editor for nearly forty-five years -- so you can imagine that it ain't easy to say bye-bye): But don't forget, major publishers see 60% of their mass print runs destroyed now. Hardbacks are usually returned by retailers if unsold, but the cost of returning paperbacks to base for pulping is such that the (ridiculous) sale-or-return deal with retailers actually means sale-or-destroy. And, as far as I've been able, I've not removed anything from my shelves that has sentimental value or isn't now available in ebook format.

Those who have thrift shops, local friends and neighbours and family nearby to keep cull their collections and keep them under control will, hopefully, never have to make the painflul decision I did to give books to the only folks who can make at least some use of them ... the local council's re-cycling garbage collectors. Examples of some of the world's best loved literature will now become grocery bags, kitchen rools and toilet paper. It's nothing less than tragic, but if you could have seen the state of my wee apartment, you'd understand why the clear-out was necessary.

Very best. Neil

Last edited by neilmarr; 10-15-2009 at 04:33 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-15-2009, 05:29 AM   #68
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Neil ... if you ever need a nick on this site, I suggest "Wee-Man"
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:58 AM   #69
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
I love the smell of a new paperback book (must be an addiction).
Can't find most of the academic books I need on ebook.
DRM issues are a mess--don't have time to research all the new readers w/their own special DRM requirements.
Want wifi so I don't have to sync with a computer.
Am always fearful that I will drop my 505 and break it.
Love the large fonts as I turned 60 this week and hate reading glasses!
Love the ability to read lots of books without having to find a place to store them.
Love the ebook sellers who let me read a few chapters of a new book before I buy a book (saves gas money driving to local bookstore).

We have a long way to go, but making progress every year!
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:57 AM   #70
neilmarr
neilmarr

***if you ever need a nick on this site, I suggest "Wee-Man"***

A dreaful wee habit, eh, Mores? There are some things about being Scottish that the world just can't drum out of you.

Peitsao: Thanks for the friendly hook up. I just beat you to the sixty line by four months, so I get what you're saying. I tend to hang out and read mostly at home or on the terrace outside, so I don't share your fear of dropping the 505 and don't fuss about linking up to a PC or laptop, so wi-fi's not a serious consideration. I understand your own feeling, though. And I sure am with you on the storage issue and the value of font sizing to suit the old eyes. The whole ebook idea, I think, is going to encourage valuable reading among younger generations ... but a few more old fogies like thee and me should discover just how much it extends their life as bookworms and just how darned comfortable and convenient it is. Hoots. Neil
Old 10-17-2009, 03:22 PM   #71
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
Neil,

I love the font size on the buggers and am even thinking of getting one for my mom! She is 80 this year and still reads a lot of books at the library. Actually, the libraries in our state are going digital, and am hopeful that they will add epub. Right now it is limited to computer reading, which is awk to carry around even on a small netbook. Once I know what format will be library standard where she lives, I will get one for her too.
Pei
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 04:26 PM   #72
Teyrnon
Groupie
Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetBook, Kindle DX, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Nook Simple Touch
I was developing an aversion to paper based on allergic sensitivities which led to my finally going for a reader. I've been happily using my readers for about 2 and 3 months respectively. I still feel an aversion to paper but I'm hoping it'll subside in time. For now, I have no desire to pick up a paper book unless I absolutely have to for reference.
Teyrnon is offline   Reply With Quote