Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-06-2009, 09:37 PM   #31
SCTrojans83
SCTrojans83 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Looks nice. I wonder if you can still open it?
SCTrojans83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:41 PM   #32
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCTrojans83 View Post
Good question. We've heard that they took out the SD card slot. I wonder if the user-replaceable battery is still there or if it's a sealed unit?
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2009, 09:41 PM   #33
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCTrojans83 View Post
I'm wondering that, too. I hope it still has the user-replaceable battery and a slot for a memory card. I can't wait to see how the new UI works. All-in-all the design doesn't thrill me and I'll probably wait to upgrade but from people's reactions, it seems like this design has more widespread appeal.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:42 PM   #34
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Are the previous reports true though. It has not SD card slot and a non-removable battery? If so, I think those are steps backwards.

Is there still a "back" button, I don't see one.

As far as the looks... meh. The frame around the screen does look awful big. But, then again, the pics of the 1st gen looks very exaggerated too. When I got my Kindle it looked so much smaller and sleek than the pics made it look.

I think they take these pics with some fisheye lens or something to make it look more elongated than it was before.

My biggest question... this is supposed to "skip gens" if I recall 1 article? Any reports on new features?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:46 PM   #35
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I'm wondering that, too. I hope it still has the user-replaceable battery and a slot for a memory card. I can't wait to see how the new UI works. All-in-all the design doesn't thrill me and I'll probably wait to upgrade but from people's reactions, it seems like this design has more widespread appeal.
Maybe I can get a good deal on a used Gen1 to have as a backup/second device for my wife/kids.

BOb
Advert
Old 02-06-2009, 09:47 PM   #36
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Are the previous reports true though. It has not SD card slot and a non-removable battery? If so, I think those are steps backwards.
It was a speculation based on the fact that the back isn't obviously removable.

Quote:
Is there still a "back" button, I don't see one.
It's on the right below the joystick thingie.

Quote:
As far as the looks... meh. The frame around the screen does look awful big. But, then again, the pics of the 1st gen looks very exaggerated too. When I got my Kindle it looked so much smaller and sleek than the pics made it look.
I agree. I really didn't like the looks of K1 in pictures but I liked it much better in the video and in person. I do wish they'd dump the white, though. I think the contrast of the text would be better with a different case color.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:50 PM   #37
LenEdgerly
LenEdgerly began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
What's the control above the joy stick?

I can clearly see "Back" under the joy stick but even zooming the photo can't tell what the control is above it. Can any one else figure it out? Possibly a "Forward" control?
Len Edgerly
http://theKindleChronicles.com
LenEdgerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:56 PM   #38
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenEdgerly View Post
I can clearly see "Back" under the joy stick but even zooming the photo can't tell what the control is above it. Can any one else figure it out? Possibly a "Forward" control?
Len Edgerly
I think (and my eyesight is terrible) that it's most likely "MENU" or possibly "VIEW", but I'd bet on the former.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:57 PM   #39
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenEdgerly View Post
Len Edgerly
Doh... yes I see it. And it looks like maybe the upper button says "menu"? Which would make sense since there is no LCD cursor which sits on the "menu" selection.

BOb
Old 02-06-2009, 10:39 PM   #40
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
I will try and buy one the second that it is available. If it is anything like the last launch it will sell out fast. I did send Jeff an email asking him if I ordered the old Kindle today would he send me the new one instead. When he gets back to me I will let you know the 411.

Well Jeff (or one of his staff) just got back to me and said that they suspect that I will be happy.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:45 PM   #41
jakeluck
Groupie
jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

although feature, button placement, connectivity are nice to haves. for me, the quality of the eink screen is one of the more important purchasing considerations, e.g. the 505 screen is a significant improvement over the 500, when I saw the 2 models side by side in the sonystyle store, it didn't take much convincing to walk over to the cashier with the credit card. (i think this is probably one of the reasons why the PRS700 backfired as they made the screen _worse_), so IMO, they need significantly better technology or more competitive pricing or both to draw away the early adopters.

Last edited by jakeluck; 02-06-2009 at 10:47 PM.
jakeluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:46 PM   #42
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I like the thinness quite a bit, but I don't see myself upgrading to another device that only has a six inch screen. I'll hold out until they have a bigger screen.

I'm not a big fan of the inch wide whitespace around the screen. Also, that dude in the picture must have some huge hands.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:48 PM   #43
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faenad View Post
What is the size of the screen? Still 6"? The screen looks very small compared to the size of the whole unit.
That's my thoughts exactly. It looks nice and stylish(finally!) rather than the back end of a bus but it appears way too big for the screen size. I would be happy about the size if you got a longer screen and the price was comparable to others on the market
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:23 PM   #44
LenEdgerly
LenEdgerly began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Yup. That button above the joy stick must be labeled "menu." I think it's an improvement that they eliminated the separate long, thin window where the silver bar used to be. I suppose something like that will appear on the right side of the window?
LenEdgerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:25 PM   #45
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Currently Active Users: 741 (36 members and 705 guests)
Most users ever online was 1,413, 01-23-2005 at 01:03 PM.

We're over half-way there! This Kindle 2 News Alert seems to be drawing in a lot of Guests...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle 2 News Alert.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	22778  

Last edited by nrapallo; 02-06-2009 at 11:27 PM.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote