Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-03-2009, 07:45 PM   #1
Billjr13
Addict
Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 700 & 650
Charging Problems

Hi guys I'm new to the forum and I just received a Sony 700 for Christmas. I am not able to turn on my reader while it is conected to my computer for charging. I also don't see any type of confirmation that charging is complete. There are no lights or messeges on the screen? Is this the same for everyone else or is there something wrong with my machine?
Thanks for any help
Billjr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 08:17 PM   #2
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
There's a red light at the top of the reader. When the 700 is charging this light will be on. When it's through charging, the light will go off.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2009, 08:45 PM   #3
Billjr13
Addict
Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok Thanks, no red light so there must be something wrong with mine. It came on and flashed, but went out when the USB logo came on the screen.
What about being able to turn the reader on while charging? The manual makes it sound like I should be able to.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:50 PM   #4
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billjr13 View Post
Ok Thanks, no red light so there must be something wrong with mine. It came on and flashed, but went out when the USB logo came on the screen.
What about being able to turn the reader on while charging? The manual makes it sound like I should be able to.
Make sure you are usign the USB cable that came with the device.

you can not use the device while pluged into the USB.

and i dobut there is somethign wrong with your device. its possible, but much more likely your just not doing it right.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 08:59 PM   #5
Server
Anti-Narcissist
Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: SØNY6
Its definitely the cable. People just assume a MiniUSB cable is a MiniUSB
cable. WRONG. As previously mentioned, there are (thus far) two types.
Sync/Connect and Sync/Connect/Charge. Don't ask me for the pin-outs
but its slightly different as I confirmed a while back. The issue of not being
able to use the reader why USB charging is a bit odd. While I understand
that if a file is loaded in read mode and then sync'd, there could be corruption
to the data. But all sony had to do was lock the file in use and allow all others
to be viewed if opened in explorer. Perhaps the next ROM image will address
this, as I too would like the option to use the reader while charging.
Server is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2009, 09:07 PM   #6
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
I've been frustrated with the charging, too! It just takes some patience (of which I usually have a lot until I am waiting to use a new gadget). The light will flash for a short time when you first plug in the device to the USB and it does take a lot longer than you think to fully charge the battery. I ordered and just received the AC adapter. Hopefully, that will cut the charge time. My device's battery seems to deplete a lot more quickly than I thought it would, though.
kaz
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:18 PM   #7
Billjr13
Addict

Thanks again, I was not using the Sony USB cable. I made the switch but I think I was already fully charged. I will read some with light on full power to help drain it then try to charge again, and see if I get the red charging light. So can you read while using the Sony wall charger? From some of the other links on charging it looks like you can.
I do appreciate your quick responses, Thanks again
Old 01-03-2009, 09:27 PM   #8
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
As I just received the adapter in the mail today, I hadn't tried it yet. I just plugged it in. It works well and you can definitely read while charging!
kaz
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:40 PM   #9
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

you can read while using the A/c Charger

though ive used my device for over 300 pages since my last charge and its still on 3/4 and i had used the light a fair amount too.

the PRS Charger is 5.2 volts, but hte 5.0 Volt PSP chargers are reported to work just fine (and these are ussually pretty cheap)
Old 01-03-2009, 09:44 PM   #10
Billjr13
Addict

Thanks, I love my Sony. I even got 9 free books from Random House when I signed in with Sony ebook store. The add is still on there web page right now 1/3/09.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:42 AM   #11
Andybaby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billjr13 View Post
Thanks, I love my Sony. I even got 9 free books from Random House when I signed in with Sony ebook store. The add is still on there web page right now 1/3/09.
I see that too. Promotion runs till the End of February
Old 03-23-2009, 07:29 PM   #12
avid_reader
avid_reader began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
Could someone elaborate on the proper way to go about charging Sony (prs700)? Should I:

1. Turn on the reader, connect via USB cable, wait until fully charged?
2. Turn off the reader, connect via USB cable, wait until fully charged?

Thanks!
avid_reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:36 PM   #13
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid_reader View Post
Could someone elaborate on the proper way to go about charging Sony (prs700)? Should I:

1. Turn on the reader, connect via USB cable, wait until fully charged?
2. Turn off the reader, connect via USB cable, wait until fully charged?

Thanks!
I usually plug mine in when it is off. I don't think it matters though.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:56 PM   #14
Server
Anti-Narcissist
Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: SØNY6
**USER MANUAL INFO**

I think the problem/confusion about charging is surrounded by two issues:

1. When charging, use ONLY the OEM Sony USB Cable - (sync/charge simultaneous)
2. When charging a FLAT battery, it takes 5MINS before there is enough juice to
power up and enter USB Charge mode via USB charging.
Server is offline   Reply With Quote