Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-29-2012, 04:07 PM   #1
pwright2
Connoisseur
pwright2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Apps override WiFi On/Off

So, in investigating my interest in using maps on my Fire2, I added the Mapquest app. Works nicely. Had it do some routes for me. But what I am really interested in is whether I can use it when I am on the road and away from my wifi. So, to test what it would do when I was out, I turned off the WiFi. I have one of the on/off apps. Then I checked out the maps for the route previously plotted.

I was amazed. I could look at the maps and zoom in and out all around and even far away from the planned route. Fantastic!

Then I notieced that, up in the corner, there was a wifi icon. Hmmm, I was sure I turned that off. So I went to my on/off app. Which showed it ON ... no, wait, it switched to off. So I went back to mapquest, which showed no wifi icon ... oh, wait, there it is again. So I went to the main wifi control page, which showed it on ..., ,no, wait, it jumped to off.

Asbestos I can tell, the Mapquest app overrides the wifi control when it needs data. I suspect other apps do so also, which may explain some peoples battery problems.

BTW, to test the issue, I turned off my wifi hotspot. Without the connection, Mapquest can zoom the graphic but has no map data to show more details.

-----Paul-----
pwright2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:16 PM   #2
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Try airplane mode. It should override the WiFi setting.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2012, 05:50 PM   #3
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Actually Wifi will operate under Airplane mode. I have a FireHD 8.9" with the 4G LTE - so I turned on Airplane mode to prevent apps from using up my data plan - but I can still use Wifi just fine.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apps, fire2, mappiing, wifi