Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-10-2012, 09:31 AM   #241
rpmazur
Connoisseur
rpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheese

Device: Calibre (for MAC), MoonReader (Android)
Update!!! Finally finished Dune and according to goodreads.com, a little over 600 pages. Good start, however, it took me a little longer than I would have liked to read that book, but I also don't have as much "down time" now that I'm not deployed. I will keep the 14,000 pages as a goal, but I'm not gonna loose any sleep if I don't make it. I want to accomplish the goals of reading the series that I have listed as a "primary" goal.

Rob
rpmazur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:01 PM   #242
tponzo
Addict
tponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 900(gave it to my sister); Sony PRS-T1; onyx book note air
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDaneel54 View Post
I'm almost 1/3 of the way to my reading goal due to an addiction to 2 new (for me) series: Anne Perry's Charlotte and Thomas Pitt and Ed Mcbain's 87th precinct. This is starting as a mystery year. I do hope to get into my biographies and histories later on.

Dean
How are you liking Anne Perry? She's one of my favs, and has an interesting life story also. She spent time in prison for murder as a teenager. I love the Charlotte and Thomas Pitt books but like the William Monk series even better. The main characters are more flawed but trying to do their best. Hm, I haven't read the last couple of Charlotte/Thomas Pitt books, I'll have to add them to my list.
tponzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2012, 08:32 PM   #243
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Knocked off two books today, though admitedly one of them was short. But more to the point, one was a classic -- Hemingway's The Old Man and the Sea. (K to Terminator for uploading it.) The other book, Bruno, Chief of Police, was an impulse buy that I shouldn't have been making, but I did end up with a new author to enjoy. I've put the next two in the series on my wish list, and when I get a bit of my TBR down, or they go on sale, I'll buy them.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:24 AM   #244
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
My reading rate is fine, 23 books completed so far this year. My problem is my buying rate. I've bought 17 and added two freebies to my TBR pile so far. I did wellin January, but a couple of special offers in February have my stats looking very poor.

1.21:1 removed:added, when I need to be at 2:1 to meet my 2012 target.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:14 AM   #245
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Knocked off two books today, though admitedly one of them was short. But more to the point, one was a classic -- Hemingway's The Old Man and the Sea. (K to Terminator for uploading it.) The other book, Bruno, Chief of Police, was an impulse buy that I shouldn't have been making, but I did end up with a new author to enjoy. I've put the next two in the series on my wish list, and when I get a bit of my TBR down, or they go on sale, I'll buy them.
Ah, so Bruno has made it across the pond! My German friend sent me Bruno, Chief of Police and said it was very popular in Berlin, where she lives. (In English or in German, I have no idea.) I don't usually go in for murder mysteries and was wondering what ever possessed her to send me that one.

Read it and thoroughly enjoyed it. Have loaned it out to a couple of folks living here in France and they really liked it, too. (OK, one of them wasn't happy with the way it ended - but she admitted she'd be interested in reading the next one in the series.)
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2012, 03:17 PM   #246
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmazur View Post
Update!!! Finally finished Dune and according to goodreads.com, a little over 600 pages. Good start, however, it took me a little longer than I would have liked to read that book, but I also don't have as much "down time" now that I'm not deployed. I will keep the 14,000 pages as a goal, but I'm not gonna loose any sleep if I don't make it. I want to accomplish the goals of reading the series that I have listed as a "primary" goal.

Rob
I read dune some years ago when I needed to read a sci-fi book for my high school class. It was very action packed and I was impressed by the author's writing ability.

Just polished off another outlands book, I love those post-apocalyptic novels and the author Rick Hoskins is one of the best writers alive today, IMHO.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:29 PM   #247
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by tponzo View Post
How are you liking Anne Perry? She's one of my favs, and has an interesting life story also. She spent time in prison for murder as a teenager. I love the Charlotte and Thomas Pitt books but like the William Monk series even better. The main characters are more flawed but trying to do their best. Hm, I haven't read the last couple of Charlotte/Thomas Pitt books, I'll have to add them to my list.
I'm fascinated with the period and Anne Perry captures the atmosphere, issues and people so well. Good writer.

Her history with the murder is weird.

I'll probably do the William Monk series next, but since I read these using the library Overdrive system it takes awhile. I put a hold on them at 2 libraries simultaneously and cancel at the one I don't get it at. But it can be weeks between books then all the sudden I get three at once.
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:33 AM   #248
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do you really think that you can get anything at overdrive? My local library's slogan should be - What ever you want we don't have it - What ever you don't want we got.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:50 AM   #249
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Only 2 months in and....

I've officially blown my challenge, book club wise.

1. Try as I might, I have little to no intrest in Tender is the Night, the MR Book Club nomination for February. I only supported and downloaded it, because of the two options, it was free. I've read a whopping 18 pages. If I go back to it, it won't be soon.

2. Only two books even made it out of the nomination process of the Literary book club, with The Remains of the Day, winning for February. Unfortunately, it is too expensive for my tastes; I am not willing to pay over $10 for either format (especially for a book I have only a little interest in reading), and my library is a bust.

3. My new found work scedule has greatly inturupted my reading...but I do think I can get that back on track.

Last edited by Nyssa; 02-16-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:55 AM   #250
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
1. Try as I might, I have little to no intrest in Tender is the Night, the MR Book Club nomination for February. I only supported and downloaded it, because of the two options, it was free. I've read a whopping 18 pages. If I go back to it, it won't be soon.
Sadly, I have to wholeheartedly agree.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:00 AM   #251
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^Lol at orlok and Nyssa. I didn't even vote for either of the two runoffs. It was just a wasted book club opportunity to me. Opinions and mileage will vary.

I'm halfway through Gao Xingjian's Soul Mountain. I was worried about this one. One of the bigger ones on my list from an author I've never read with some mixed feelings from reviewers on if it was Nobel Prize worthy. It's been very good. a sort of Chinese folktale book intermixed with the narrator's journey.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:47 AM   #252
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
I've stepped up my reading but I'm still pretty moody. I've decided to stop letting it bother me so much. :-)
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:19 PM   #253
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
My solution for moody and reading? I pull out the real trash in my TBR. I'm sure we all have a few "guilty pleasures" in that list. Mine are things like Georgette Heyer. Total fluff, little if any redeeming social virtue. And a complete break from the stuff I usually read. Or, even trashier -- some of the "urban fantasy" stuff that I have.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:54 AM   #254
jbcohen
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquabel View Post
Goal for 2012: To read 50 books

Last year I didn't reach my goal of 50, only read 39, so again my goal is to read 50 books this year.

No particular books or series, just whatever interests me at the time.

Books read in 2012:

1. Callsign: Knight by Jeremy Robinson
2. The Apprentice by Tess Gerritsen
3. Scarecrow Returns by Matthew Reilly
4. The Chronicles of Anaedor by Kristina Schram
5. Billy The Kid and the Vampyres of Vegas by Michael Scott
6. The Vampire with the Dragon Tattoo by J.R. Rain
7. The Strain by Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan
8. Library of the Dead by Glenn Cooper
9. Beneath the Dark Ice by Greig Beck
10. Callsign: King - Underworld by Jeremy Robinson
11. Callsign: Deep Blue - by Jeremy Robinson
Only author of yours that I have read is Mathew Rielly and he was quite good, enjoy the journey.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:28 AM   #255
tponzo
Addict
tponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 900(gave it to my sister); Sony PRS-T1; onyx book note air
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
My solution for moody and reading? I pull out the real trash in my TBR. I'm sure we all have a few "guilty pleasures" in that list. Mine are things like Georgette Heyer. Total fluff, little if any redeeming social virtue. And a complete break from the stuff I usually read. Or, even trashier -- some of the "urban fantasy" stuff that I have.

Ms. Heyer trash, 'gasp'. them's fighting words!
tponzo is offline   Reply With Quote