Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-13-2010, 10:53 AM   #1
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
are you prepared?

in my neck of the woods we are being told to expect the worst winter in 55 years. winters here can be very whacky indeed. a couple of years after I first moved out here we had a truly wild storm on christmas eve that knocked out power all over the area (we were without power for 8 or 9 days), literally made trees explode from freezing, and ended up with my entire family sleeping in one bed for warmth. the house was completely electric and had no fireplaces. the next year we bought the farm that I am on now. even though the house is still a disaster from a contractor gone bad, it is a survivable house.

when I had kids at home I always had a couple of crates that were kept in the garage with our disaster supplies. in addition to crazy storms, this is also the land of not "if" but "when" the BIG ONE (earthquake) comes, are you prepared? I have rudimentary supplies in place, nothing like when I had kids at home, but now with all of these dire warnings, I'm thinking maybe I need to take inventory and stock up again.

how about everyone else? how do you stay prepared?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 11:42 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Being a native of California,....we were always prepared.

Earthquakes happen, and when they do....you can't count on running to the local 7-11 for a quart of milk, water lines can be broken, no power, etc.

Then we moved to north central Arkansas, and took our 'be prepared' attitude with us.

Had the worst ice storm in years the first year we were there.....we were 15 miles out of town, on 20 acres, no one near. EVERYTHING went down. No one was going anywhere, except the poor workers trying to get power back on

We had a camp stove, propane heater,oil lanterns, canned food, water, blankets, puzzles and books

Melted the snow over the heater to flush the toilet (Water came from electric well which was out)

Had a wonderful, comfortable 3 days until power was restored.

Many others whined because work didn't progress faster. They were cold, hungry, and their TV didn't work.

Here, in the desert, you keep water around.....not much else you can do if the power goes out in the middle of summer....
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:31 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
in my neck of the woods we are being told to expect the worst winter in 55 years.
The Met Office in the UK has stopped issuing long-range (ie seasonal) weather forecasts, because they have proved to be so extremely unreliable. I wouldn't get too worked up about it until it happens.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:50 PM   #4
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Met Office in the UK has stopped issuing long-range (ie seasonal) weather forecasts, because they have proved to be so extremely unreliable. I wouldn't get too worked up about it until it happens.
they're basing this on the La Nina/El Nino currents. I've been teaching skiing in the northwest since 1997. every year they have predicted nina, nino or null have been absoultely spot on. the ocean current that they use to test the water temperature to determine the predictions hasn't been this cold this early since 1955. they have a REALLY good record at predicting the long range aspects here.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:13 PM   #5
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
In Hawai`i (O`ahu) we have hurricane and tsunami preparedness kits. Of course on the Big Island, where Grace is they also have to worry about earthquakes and erupting volcanoes.

If you are in an inundation zone (water or lava) the only preparedness possible is a full gas tank and a place to go.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:10 PM   #6
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
In Hawai`i (O`ahu) we have hurricane and tsunami preparedness kits. Of course on the Big Island, where Grace is they also have to worry about earthquakes and erupting volcanoes.

If you are in an inundation zone (water or lava) the only preparedness possible is a full gas tank and a place to go.
I understand a hefty supply of toilet paper is advised as well
Old 10-13-2010, 09:53 PM   #7
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Does this mean that the polar bears are going to be ok?

------------------------

I am usually always ready. Bring on the cold!!!
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:53 PM   #8
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Harry, maybe you could tell them about our (US) long range weather forecasting solution. Very accurate indeed.

SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 11:15 PM   #9
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Seriously though, I've kept several levels of emergency preparedness kits stocked.

First there is the "get out of town kit". Just what it says. I can walk out, or drive out, in about 5 or 10 minutes. If I don't have that much time, I'm probably going to die anyway.

Loss of utilities, whether from storm or other cause is taken care of with bottled water and a power generator. Before I had an ereader I used to worry about the loss of entertainment.

Disaster! OK, disaster isn't always that dramatic. Sure, the world may revert back to barbarous times with millions dying. But more often than not "disaster" just means inconvenience. You lose you job or something.

For disasters I have about 6 months of food. It's all stuff we eat every day. All bought when on sale and then marked with a purchase date and stored. The oldest dated food is used first and the new purchases are packed away.

Done slowly you never miss the money, unlike buying "SURVIVAL RATIONS".
Old 10-13-2010, 11:24 PM   #10
SameOldStory
My True Self

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_terd View Post
Does this mean that the polar bears are going to be ok?

------------------------

I am usually always ready. Bring on the cold!!!
I swear H_T! don't you listen to Al Gore and Michael Moore?

The polar bears are going to die. But so are we when the 900 foot tidal waves strike us. So it all balances out.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:03 AM   #11
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post

yep, I live in fear of a simultaneous eruption (other than the continuous one, that one doesn't count) and tsunami. Where would we go? Throw in an Earthquake and a Hurricane (can you have a hurricane at the same times as a tsunami?) and maybe a wildfire or two (we get a lot of those) and we're set in party mode!

Maybe I should move...

(oh, and KUDOS to you, ku'u hoa, for using the proper 'okina in O'ahu and Hawai'i! )
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:40 AM   #12
recluse
Banned
recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
I always try to stay prepared for weather emergencies.
Despite the fact that Hurricane Earl was a dud.
The first major nor'easter hits tomorrow and Long Island tends to get slammed pretty hard.
I have supplies on hand at all times.
Food, water, flashlight, candles, home defense kit.
Safe transport for my dog.
I know the coastal evacuation routes.
Learned my lesson after the big ice storm we had in the '70s.
The only thing you really can't prepare for is when everyone around you turns into idiots.
recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:42 AM   #13
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

I guess I'm asking what everyone's preparations are? what do you have/have you done that makes you feel just a little bit better if you are potentially facing day 5 or 6 of not moving from your home (or possibly work)
Old 10-14-2010, 01:51 AM   #14
recluse
Banned
recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Food.
Water.
Liquor.
Candles.
Flashlights. The hand crank kind.
Lanterns. Ditto.
Radio.
Home defense kit. Not telling.
Books.
recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:05 AM   #15
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by recluse View Post
I always try to stay prepared for weather emergencies.
Despite the fact that Hurricane Earl was a dud.
The first major nor'easter hits tomorrow and Long Island tends to get slammed pretty hard.
I have supplies on hand at all times.
Food, water, flashlight, candles, home defense kit.
Safe transport for my dog.
I know the coastal evacuation routes.
Learned my lesson after the big ice storm we had in the '70s.
The only thing you really can't prepare for is when everyone around you turns into idiots.
Hmm... I have to rethink my vision of you. I was thinking of you as being at an age where you wouldn't remember much, if any, of the 70s.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote