Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-13-2017, 12:05 PM   #1
rabbie22
rabbie22 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight
Can't Register

I am UK based and have a nook glowlight( not simple touch)model BNRV500 which I have had to reset. When I get to the registration page it now comes up with an error message because this model is UK and the resistration address for B & N no longer exists. I now have a nook which works perfectly well but I cannot use it because it fails to register. I would be grateful if anyone could advise on potential solutions.

Thanks
rabbie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 12:35 PM   #2
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbie22 View Post
I am UK based and have a nook glowlight( not simple touch)model BNRV500 which I have had to reset. When I get to the registration page it now comes up with an error message because this model is UK and the resistration address for B & N no longer exists. I now have a nook which works perfectly well but I cannot use it because it fails to register. I would be grateful if anyone could advise on potential solutions.

Thanks
I assume this would still work:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/noo...-oobe-t2858282
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2017, 04:33 PM   #3
rabbie22
rabbie22 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight
Thanks Geertm. I have already tried this but could not get it to work.
rabbie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 07:11 PM   #4
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
1. Turn on your NOOK.
2. At the welcome screen hold down the button on the top right (page turn button) and at the same time slide your finger across the top of the screen from left to right.
3. You should now see a Factory link on the top left of the screen, press this link.
4. On the factory screen hold down the same button (top right) and at the same time tap the bottom right of the screen.
5. You should now see a Skip Oobe link on the bottom right, press this link.
6. You will now be able to use the Nook Simple Touch without registration.

This worked for me just now.

If that does not work then try this:

1. This will actually restore it to the same exact way you got it from the store. It's the equivalent of restoring your computer with your installations disks.
  2. Turn off your nook completely. If you are at the "home" screen then hold power button for 3 seconds and choose "Power off" when prompted. If you are in the screen-saver mode then hold power button for 10 seconds until screen will freeze or go blank, or text "Your nook is switched off" will appear.
  3. With it off, hold the power button until the screen flickers black for a moment THEN CONTINUE to hold it for another 15 seconds. You won't see anything happen at this point - but the animated arrows will stop typically.
  4. Repeat the above step 6 times in a row. YES, Six is the magic number that tells the nook to do a restore. At the six time screen will get half white- half black and it's a good sign!
  5. Now press the Power Button once to turn on the nook. The touch screen will go black with a description of what it's doing (restoring). This may take several minutes - do NOT stop it.
  6. After you have it back to factory mode, do the following:
  7. Nook Simple Touch/Factory Mode/Skip Out of Box Experience
  8. On a virgin/factory reset Nook Simple Touch, there's a "Factory" screen that displays various bits about the device, such as model, serial number, MAC address, public key, etc.
  9. After powering on the Nook, you should be presented with a welcome screen with a Next button in the lower right. A "Factory" button will appear in the top left of the screen. Tap it to get to the Factory screen. Skip Oobe (Out-of-box Experience)
  10. While on the Factory screen, hold down the top right button and tap in the bottom right of the screen. A "Skip Oobe" button appears. Tap it to completely bypass the time zone, Wi-Fi and B&N registration process.

bernie

Last edited by gbm; 10-13-2017 at 07:16 PM.
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 05:25 PM   #5
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Did you call B&N? Do they still exist in the UK? What did they say?

If you're network-savvy, I wonder if it would register to a US-based B&N site? Maybe you could trick your Nook by hardcoding a US IP address for B&N registration into the hosts file on your router (spoof the DNS lookup that is evidently sending you to a dead UK-based B&N site). You could use a packet sniffer to determine the UK-based B&N domain name that the Nook is currently trying to connect to, so you know what you need to spoof. Finding the US-based B&N registration IP address would be tougher though.

A phone call to B&N would probably be easier. They can probably manually register it on their end, if they're willing.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert