Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-24-2022, 02:43 PM   #61
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetBest View Post
I got also one advertisement...pretty shocking. I want to decide myself if I want advertisrments This is my own paid hardware!!
Suppose you buy a car with navigation and the nav.screen is interrupted with those stupid advertisements. Grrr.I DO NOT WANT THAT!!
Have you bought a TV lately? Ads on UI. Of course they're called "suggestions" for what to rent/buy on, conveniently, their platform

80% of fire tv's home screen is a glorified ad for Amazon prime video. Even if the majority of the "suggestions" are for other networks' and studios' shows and movies, they prompt you to subscribe or buy through prime video so they get a cut. There's one small row for your actual apps, like 5 (6?) of them

And then there's the subscription model. BMW is trying out a program where for like $18 a month they turn on the steering wheel's hand warmer for you. Mind you, the hardware is built into every car already; you just have to pay for them to flip a switch in the car software
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 02:53 PM   #62
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Updated Elipsa from 4.32 to this. Not seeing the PDF zoom lock working, the page won't turn if Zoomed.

Advanced Notebooks seem OK.

Edit: the Zoom maintained on PDF only works if you gesture to zoom in. If you use the menu the page won't turn, but gesture pinch / open is too big a jump. Useless.

Edit: actually that often sticks on one page too.

Edit 3.
Only turns page at all with no zoom. Also - + steps on zoom or pinch are HUGE, you have to jiggle the slider.

Edit 4.
Page turns with any zoom only work with taps. Normally I have it set to swipe. Swipe of course Pans the page, which gave me the clue.
You can also only turn off pinch to change font on ebooks; you can't turn off gesture to zoom.

is there a patch to make - and + or pinch to zoom go in smaller steps?

Last edited by Quoth; 07-24-2022 at 03:23 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2022, 04:12 PM   #63
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I did find one bug with the pinch to change the font size. When I tried it, the slider for margins ended up all the way to the right even though on screen the margins did not change.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 06:36 PM   #64
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Now all that's needed on the new PDF zoom & and page feature:
1) Option to disable panning so swipe can work to change pages. Really unless I can read without panning, I won't. I'll use the zoom purely to crop margins.
2) Save the settings to the database per PDF. Currently forgets if you leave the book.
3) Make GUI have fine adjustment mode so if simply cropping margin it's easier to do. The Gesture and - + buttons are useless to crop off margins only. You can only do it with a careful jiggle of the slider. Or an auto-crop mode.

Anyway, now I don't need KOReader on the Elipsa. It broke again anyway due to FW update so I removed the three folders in .add or .adds and then it needed a power cycle to remove the extra menu. The epubs would be unusable on the Mars without KOReader, but unless there is ever an option on kobo to open PDF (only) in KOReader via the usual Kobo My Books and Search, it's poor even using Calibre metadata. I'm just not interested in finding books via a file browser when there are 1000s.
Old 07-24-2022, 09:30 PM   #65
gforgiraffe39935
Enthusiast
gforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Nook, Kobo, Kindle

Kobo Sage Problems:
1. Touches are not registered properly. I touch the "Battery" icon, but the "More" menu opens. While reading a book, I touch the top of the page to bring up the "Back to My Books" option in the top left, when I select it, I go to the "More" menu instead.
2. Advanced Notebook writing is still awful. Paragraphs and whole sentences disappear when I write quickly. Now, this also causes the Advanced menu options at the top left to disappear temporarily and lots of ghosting.
3. Extreme ghosting when reading a book and using the Highlight or Search or Dictionary Look-up functions. Multiple lines look darkened/selected until I force a page refresh.
4. Battery life not improved from previous version; possibly worse.
Brightness at 37%: Advanced Notebook writing for 2 minutes: lost 4% battery.
Brightness at 37%: Reading manga and then ebook for 6 minutes: lost 1% battery.
5. System navigation and page turns are still slower than Kindle Paperwhite 11th gen and Nook GL4. I have almost 1000 books on the Nook GL4 and it snaps through them quite quickly. I have about 600 on the PW. The Kobo Sage only has about 250 and I wouldn't want to add anymore. No scroll bar when there are multiple pages in my Collections is also a poor design choice in my opinion.
6. Graphic novel page turns still take 1 second+ to register, either by button or finger tap. It sounds very petty, but it's noticeable when you compare to 11th gen PW or GL4, which feel like less than 0.33 second to turn. Even the Nook GLP 2015 has faster manga page turns than the Kobo Sage; yes, the screen is only 6 inches, but processor is older gen, right? Something is not optimized in the Kobo Sage.

I just give up. I await the 8-inch Kindle that Amazon will undoubtedly release in a year or two.

Last edited by gforgiraffe39935; 07-25-2022 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Typo
gforgiraffe39935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2022, 09:58 PM   #66
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have installed the 4.3319759 earlier today and then the patches, So far, I've not seen this advert. I did not edit the config to turn off the advert. I do have WiFi off if that matters.
I suspect that in the release firmware only people in countries where KoboPlus is supported will be seeing that ad.

Last edited by DNSB; 07-25-2022 at 02:03 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 10:03 PM   #67
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
And then there's the subscription model. BMW is trying out a program where for like $18 a month they turn on the steering wheel's hand warmer for you. Mind you, the hardware is built into every car already; you just have to pay for them to flip a switch in the car software
Might I suggest that a touch of fact checking? That rumour was related to seat warmers not steering wheel warming. The BMW response is a bit confusing but if you ordered that option when purchasing the car, there is no subscription required. The rest of the response seems to get a bit confused so I'm not even sure if BMW owners in the UK and South Korea are going to have to pay a monthly subscription to keep their butts warm.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 10:36 PM   #68
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by gforgiraffe39935 View Post

Kobo Sage Problems:
1. Touches are not registered properly. I touch the "Battery" icon, but the "More" menu opens. While reading a book, I touch the top of the page to bring up the "Back to My Books" option in the top left, when I select it, I go to the "More" menu instead.
Just to check, but the '"More" menu', do you mean the page that should be accessed by tapping "More" in the button bar on the home screen and book lists? If so, it is definitely not happening here. Both of the examples given are working as expected. Do you have patches, NickelMenu or any other hack installed?
Quote:
3. Extreme ghosting when reading a book and using the Highlight or Search or Dictionary Look-up functions. Multiple lines look darkened/selected until I force a page refresh.
I see this occasionally, but, not most of the times I use these functions. What do you have for the screen refresh option? And it is one of those fun things where people complained about the refresh being triggered aggressively after a look up.
Quote:
5. System navigation and page turns are still slower than Kindle Paperwhite 11th gen and Nook GL4. I have almost 1000 books on the Nook GL4 and it snaps through them quite quickly. I have about 600 on the PW. The Kobo Sage only has about 250 and I wouldn't want to add anymore.
I don't have any non-Kobo devices to compare to, but, with 1163 books on my Sage, I don't see any issues. It is not as fast as my laptop or my iPad, but, I also don't expect it to be. I can scroll through the book list as fast as I can swipe the pages as fast as I can swipe. There is lag for the cover display the first time, but, that goes away once the cover has been generated. Page turning in epubs or kepubs are faster than I can move my eye from the end of the page to the start, so that is fast enough. I don't read comics except when experimenting, so, I can't comment on that.
Quote:
No scroll bar when there are multiple pages in my Collections is also a poor design choice in my opinion.
Exactly where is the scrollbar missing? I can see it on the Collections tab and when I open a collection that has more than one page of books.

A couple of you problems make me wonder if the update did not install properly. Try manually installing the update and see if that solves things. Or if there is a difference between behaviour just after restarting the device and later.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 02:29 AM   #69
Burblebup
Enthusiast
Burblebup began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage
I updated my Sage manually. I am thrilled to have the PDF zoom lock (something I have been waiting for). However, it doesn't seem to work properly. I flip it to landscape view, zoom in to remove the margins and enlarge the text, and it stays in position when I push the page button. However, the problem is that it goes to the top of the next page, rather than scrolling down the current page. Does anyone else have this bug?
Burblebup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 03:05 AM   #70
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burblebup View Post
I updated my Sage manually. I am thrilled to have the PDF zoom lock (something I have been waiting for). However, it doesn't seem to work properly. I flip it to landscape view, zoom in to remove the margins and enlarge the text, and it stays in position when I push the page button. However, the problem is that it goes to the top of the next page, rather than scrolling down the current page. Does anyone else have this bug?
That is not a bug. That is how it works. You zoom in on the page, and when you turn the page, it shows the same section of the next page. It is intended to let you zoom in to hide the margins and retain that zoom level and position as you turn the page.

But, I do agree, the mode you describe would be good. Fill the screen and then page through each section of the page and then the top of the next and so on.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 03:22 AM   #71
Burblebup
Enthusiast
Burblebup began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That is not a bug. That is how it works. You zoom in on the page, and when you turn the page, it shows the same section of the next page. It is intended to let you zoom in to hide the margins and retain that zoom level and position as you turn the page.

But, I do agree, the mode you describe would be good. Fill the screen and then page through each section of the page and then the top of the next and so on.
Ah. Thanks for the clarification. I can see that now. Still, it's a bit of a letdown, as in portrait mode it doesn't really magnify the text much by cropping out the margins (better just to stick it in landscape). If they made it so that you could crop out the margins in landscape and be able to scroll down the page and on to the next, it would be perfect. The reader software I installed on my smartphone can do this... Sounds like I need to get on to Kobo again!
Burblebup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 05:36 AM   #72
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I suspect that in the release firmware only people in countries where KoboPlus is supported will be seeing that ad.
That sounds logical. Right now, Kobo Plus is only available in Canada, Belgium, and The Netherlands.
Old 07-25-2022, 05:45 AM   #73
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Might I suggest that a touch of fact checking? That rumour was related to seat warmers not steering wheel warming. The BMW response is a bit confusing but if you ordered that option when purchasing the car, there is no subscription required. The rest of the response seems to get a bit confused so I'm not even sure if BMW owners in the UK and South Korea are going to have to pay a monthly subscription to keep their butts warm.
It's true. Here's a lot pf what's on offer for the subscription service straight from BMW.

https://www.bmw.co.uk/en/shop/ls/cp/connected-drive
Old 07-25-2022, 06:00 AM   #74
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gforgiraffe39935 View Post

Kobo Sage Problems:
2. Advanced Notebook writing is still awful. Paragraphs and whole sentences disappear when I write quickly. Now, this also causes the Advanced menu options at the top left to disappear temporarily and lots of ghosting.
<snip>
The 4.22.x is OK on Advanced Notebook and everything else on my Sage. I've not tried this 4.33.19759 on the Sage, but it's OK on the Elipsa.
I'll not rush to update my Sage as I don't use it for PDFs, but do use epubs and Advanced notebooks.
Old 07-25-2022, 06:49 AM   #75
PetBest
PetBest began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Have you bought a TV lately? Ads on UI. Of course they're called "suggestions" for what to rent/buy on, conveniently, their platform

80% of fire tv's home screen is a glorified ad for Amazon prime video. Even if the majority of the "suggestions" are for other networks' and studios' shows and movies, they prompt you to subscribe or buy through prime video so they get a cut. There's one small row for your actual apps, like 5 (6?) of them

Good point. That's why we record movies to skip the ads. We do not or hardly
watch commercial TV as most is crap anyhow. More reading nowadays.
PetBest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware release