Notices

Old 05-23-2020, 10:51 PM   #1
RWTS
Enthusiast
RWTS began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Nook App for Windows Unavailable?

Long time forum reader de-lurking.

I followed the link on Barnes & Noble's website to download the Nook App for Windows and met with this message:

"NOOK – Books, Magazines, Newspapers, Comics is currently not available."

It's been like that for a few days now. I understand no one here can provide answers as to what B&N is doing, but I was curious about a couple of things. 1) Any idea how long the app has been unavailable? 2) Does B&N have a history of removing the app for download before a new version is released?

Thank you.
RWTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 07:53 AM   #2
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Barnes and Nobles has been doing some things lately with no announcements. I checked the app I have installed and it seems to still work, at least for now. Their Android app is still available, so maybe the have abandoned windows.
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2020, 08:54 AM   #3
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
You're trying from here? What version of Windows are you running? Looks like it has to be 8.1 or newer.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/no...ot:overviewtab
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:13 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWTS View Post
Long time forum reader de-lurking.

I followed the link on Barnes & Noble's website to download the Nook App for Windows and met with this message:

"NOOK – Books, Magazines, Newspapers, Comics is currently not available."

It's been like that for a few days now. I understand no one here can provide answers as to what B&N is doing, but I was curious about a couple of things. 1) Any idea how long the app has been unavailable? 2) Does B&N have a history of removing the app for download before a new version is released?

Thank you.
If you are looking for the desktop app, even if you find it someplace, it no longer works.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:02 AM   #5
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
You're trying from here? What version of Windows are you running? Looks like it has to be 8.1 or newer.

That link to the app shows that it is not available.
Advert
Old 05-24-2020, 10:04 AM   #6
Musicman
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you are looking for the desktop app, even if you find it someplace, it no longer works.
The app for Windows 10 that I have installed does still work (at least for now). The app Nook for PC is the one that no longer works.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:52 PM   #7
RWTS
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post

Yes, that is the app I was hoping to download.

I had installed the app a while back on my Windows 8.1 machine. It still loaded and I was able to browse the store, but I couldn't download any of my new book purchases to my PC. I logged out, logged back in, no go. I tried to download them a few different times in case B&N's servers were down for maintenance or whatever.

Then I made the mistake of uninstalling it. The Windows 8.1 store shows the Nook app in my list of apps, but when I try to reinstall it I get a message that it's no longer available.

I figured B&N had phased out support for Windows 8.1 and went to download it on my Windows 10 laptop. That's when I learned the app is MIA. I became curious as to how long it's been gone and if there's any history of the app being taken down and put up again. Looks like the disappearance is new.

Thanks for all the replies!
Old 05-25-2020, 11:45 AM   #8
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
So Barnes and Noble discontinued their Nook app for Windows right as their physical stores are closed and ebooks are on a bit of an upswing.

That brilliant timing is what got them to where they are today.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 10:25 AM   #9
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
Well, that's just great. I try to keep giving BN the benefit of the doubt, but they seem determined to alienate everyone using ebooks. I still have a couple of magazine subscriptions with them for magazines not carried in Zinio. I guess I had better cancel them and go with pdf subscriptions.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 05:11 PM   #10
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsmom View Post
Well, that's just great. I try to keep giving BN the benefit of the doubt, but they seem determined to alienate everyone using ebooks. I still have a couple of magazine subscriptions with them for magazines not carried in Zinio. I guess I had better cancel them and go with pdf subscriptions.
I still like B&N's hardware a lot. If a new Nook came out that looked nice hardware-wise, I'd still buy it, knowing I can sideload.

But their business decisions...
Old 05-30-2020, 05:31 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I still like B&N's hardware a lot. If a new Nook came out that looked nice hardware-wise, I'd still buy it, knowing I can sideload.

But their business decisions...
If a new nook came out looking anything like the current nook, I'd tell everyone not to buy it.
Old 05-30-2020, 08:09 PM   #12
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If a new nook came out looking anything like the current nook, I'd tell everyone not to buy it.
Not a savvy social media influencer like you! They're doomed!

Talk smack all you want. You don't own a Glowlight 3 and you don't know what you are talking about.
Old 05-31-2020, 05:25 AM   #13
RWTS
Enthusiast

I can only speak for myself: I love my Nooks.

I purchased a Simple Touch eight years ago and it has gotten a lot of use and is still going strong. I upgraded to the GlowLight 3 about two years ago for the built-in light. For me, the light is one of its best features. The warmer tones are very easy on my eyes.

I also like the physical devices themselves, especially the wider bezels which make them easier to hold. My Nooks are lightweight and don't get hot like a tablet and the softer finish feels good in my hands. I've looked at Kindles and Kobos, and I'm sure they are nice devices and I'd adapt, but the Nooks fit my needs perfectly.

I use mine almost exclusively with my library's eBook offerings. When libraries here closed down, I gave my dad my Simple Touch. He is not computer or technology savvy, but he took to it right away, something that surprised me.

This was the first time I purchased Nook books (had a gift card and I don't read paper books anymore) and while I'm disappointed I can't back them up to my computer, I plan on buying the GlowLight Plus if/when it reaches a certain price point.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:21 AM   #14
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
Quote:

Talk smack all you want. You don't own a Glowlight 3 and you don't know what you are talking about.
I think anyone who hangs around the forums for more than a week figures that out pretty quickly!
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 12:12 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

I do know what I am talking about. The bezel is too big and too rubbery feeling.