Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 07-14-2010, 05:32 PM   #16
AB9239
Edge User

Ah I used to think so too (even tried to find cheapo Android phones to buy).

But then, as a result of a discussion here, I looked around and found a way to run the Market on the Android emulator and then get (free) apps off of it on the EE. The feeling is awesome - that's why I have been making a pest of myself here on these forums to spread the message so that we all can get liberated . In the past 24 hours, I have posted more here than I have in the 6-7 months previously so it should give you an idea of how excited I am that this works .

Last edited by AB9239; 07-14-2010 at 05:35 PM.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:42 PM   #17
aidren
Edge User

Easy Root

I came across this while looking for a Nook apk. Thought some may be interested.

http://www.hdmp4.com/aggregator/sources/3

http://www.unstableapps.com/?p=35

Advert
Old 08-18-2010, 09:37 PM   #18
canezila
Edge User

The beauty of the EE is that they have users from all over the world. The bad part for this post is that I will be asking something that most might now care about. Hope this doesn't anger anyone.
I am a huge south Florida sports fan and see they hae come out with a free Miami Dolphins apk at the android store. And a University of Miami apk. Dose anyone have market access and already have IT?

Thanks

Brian

**edit: got it through the excellent post about setting up an emulator here... but the apk doesnt work. I got a few apks to try and they either didnt work well or didnt work at all. But it was an interesting case study....

Last edited by canezila; 08-29-2010 at 01:14 PM. Reason: update

Old 08-30-2010, 03:42 PM   #19
kdonisi
Edge User

Does anyone know anything about a skype app? I tried fring, which is supposed to let me connect to skype people, but I can't figure out how for the life of me. Any advice or help, or a link to the adk for skype?

Old 09-06-2010, 05:23 PM   #20
sarah11918
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdonisi View Post
Does anyone know anything about a skype app? I tried fring, which is supposed to let me connect to skype people, but I can't figure out how for the life of me. Any advice or help, or a link to the adk for skype?
Just saw this question now. There's a thread about Fring and Skype - basically Fring doesn't support Skype anymore. Nimbuzz does, though, so I've switched to it from Fring. I haven't tried a voice call on Nimbuzz, but I can confirm that the chat feature with Skype contacts works fine.

As for some new Apps I've tried installing:

Google Maps - requires a working data connection
TripIt - could not be installed on your edge
HotelsByMe - could not be installed on your edge
AndWeather - works!
G.Docs - the version I downloaded had expired, and so I was being forced to update and taken to a browser page with the android bar code square thingy. So no go. **UPDATE** The AndApp store version does the same thing.
Period and Ovulation Tracker - works! (Sorry guys!)
Photobucket - works!
Piano Play - shows small screen version overtop of large screen version. Only small screen version works. Only plays 1 note at a time.
Real Calc - works! huge full screen (I think boris mentioned this one already)
Solitaire - works!
TED app - works! (video of TED opening stuttered at first, so I was worried, but video played fine)
TV listings - works! Only accepts US zip codes, though. (It says zip/postal code, but will only let you enter numbers)

Last edited by sarah11918; 09-06-2010 at 05:36 PM.

Advert
Old 09-07-2010, 12:33 AM   #21
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Nimbuzz voice chat freezes the edge every time, as does the voip call option. The text chats work fine.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:30 PM   #22
Snepscheut
Edge User

Sarah,

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah11918 View Post

Period and Ovulation Tracker - works! (Sorry guys!)
Good to know!

;-)

Jos.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:30 PM   #23
Ben
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah11918 View Post
Not yet sure whether anything here is useful, but I found the sticky app thread on slatedroid for the Pandigital Novel (now that they are hacking it into an Android tablet).

http://www.slatedroid.com/vbulletin/...-useful-.apks&

I'm assuming if they can get those apps working on a 7inch tablet, we should be able to do the same? (Not sure which version of Android they're running, though.) Just thought it might be worth a look.

Hey I just joined today and saw this post and had to comment...

I have a Pandigital Novel and it is quite easy to convert to a droid tablet, however, being October and I have tried a few version of the updates, I ended up reverting back to the OEM version for the time being, there were quite a few stability issues that i noticed when I chenged out the flash to the tablet version, however, it seems that over time this may be a nice little reader to mod into a mini tab.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:24 PM   #24
canezila
Edge User

http://getandroidstuff.com/adobe-pho...download-v131/

here is adobe photoshop lite.... it works on the eDGe..at least it opens

Old 11-01-2010, 11:22 AM   #25
R-T
Edge User

Hey eveyone, is there a known error in reading mp4 files? I cannot get them to play via the standard player or the mplayer from the app store. My avi files play just fine in both. Oh I do get audio, just no video... thanks for any help.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:52 AM   #26
borisb
Edge User

MP4 files are problematic on Android devices in general. For best results, transcode the MP4 (or any video) to "iPod MP4" (not iPhone or iPad) as the results seem to work well on the eDGe.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:26 PM   #27
kenjennings
Edge User

As with most other small, embedded devices the eDGe is finicky about video file content. If the video content/dimensions do not fall within a limited range of possibilities the eDGe (and many other devices) may not play it. I thought there was another thread around here with size/encoding/audio suggestions , but couldn't find it.

(FYI: Getting my blackberry to play videos correctly was a bear. If the video isn't a specific width, nothing happens. However, a Sharp CL860 PDA runs almost everything I've tried.)

Old 11-05-2010, 07:59 AM   #28
Dr. T
Edge User

Okay, I have a(nother) really dumb question:

Do I need to be concerned about any sort of malware when I download an app? I've found some interesting apps, but I have no way of validating their safety. Has anyone used places like appbrain.com, andolib.com, appstorehq.com? The only ones I've seen posted here are slideme.org and andappstore.com. Any information would be much appreciated, and, again, I apologize for my naivete!

Old 11-05-2010, 08:30 AM   #29
OncTech
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. T View Post
Okay, I have a(nother) really dumb question:

Do I need to be concerned about any sort of malware when I download an app? I've found some interesting apps, but I have no way of validating their safety. Has anyone used places like appbrain.com, andolib.com, appstorehq.com? The only ones I've seen posted here are slideme.org and andappstore.com. Any information would be much appreciated, and, again, I apologize for my naivete!
Many of those actually are not app stores, but rather are listing sites that simply link to the actual google market if you attempt to download anything. AppBrain works different than the others in that you install an app on your edge and it simply keeps a backup list of all your install apps. Though again if you want to download new apps, it requires market access.

slideme.org and andappstore.com, as well as m.getjar.com are one that allow you to actually download the apk files. While malware (and even legit apps with dishonest hidden features) are might an issue, I'm not aware of any serious problems (so if others users know of precautions, please say something). The upside is that the eDGe is not as vulnerable as phone is because it has no GPS and can only communicate through user-controlled wifi.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:08 AM   #30
borisb
Edge User

Unlike iPhone/iPad apps that are individually vetted by Apple, Android apps are basically unregulated, even the ones on the official Google Android Market. I'm not sure to what extent enTourage screens apps they offer via the enTourage App Store.

I don't think you have to worry about viruses in the way you have to worry about them on PCs (via email, or web pages), however, as OncTech says Android apps can do stuff that they don't advertise, such as reading other information (shared by other apps on your device) and possibly feeding them back to a server that collects the information. Which apps do this is a bit hard to know, although from time to time a site will publish a list of Android apps they've found to be doing this. There are a number of apps that you'll see being highly recommended on these forums, but I don't think any of us know for sure if these apps are completely honest or not.

If you're worried about security on your eDGe, perhaps don't store financial or other confidential information on it, or access web banking sites, for example, as this information could possibly be leaked by a bad app. Your personal schedule, or the books your reading, or your notes, or the apps you're using probably aren't of interest to hackers looking for money.

Such is my understanding, based on my experience with Android and reading of Android news since the start of the year.