Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-05-2019, 10:46 AM   #1
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Your advice? Libra, Forma, or KA1 for lady

I'm a big fan of the KA1 for myself, but here's my question.

As an upgrade gift for a lady still using a Sony PRS T1 6", which would be the best choice? -- 7" Libra or 8" Forma or 7.8" Aura One.

Thanks.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 10:59 AM   #2
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Whichever one she wants. That’s the only right answer here. Show them to her and get her impression.

If there’s anything this forum should have shown you by now it’s that opinions on which device is best differ wildly and that there’s really not much influence from gender on this.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2019, 11:15 AM   #3
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

M, except that it is to be a surprise, wrapped gift so I can't get an opinion in advance.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:50 AM   #4
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post

As an upgrade gift for a lady still using a Sony PRS T1 6", which would be the best choice? -- 7" Libra or 8" Forma or 7.8" Aura One.

Thanks.
Any reader will be an improvement on the PRS-T1 (which was my first reader), except for the dictionaries. She will need some time to get used to a very different software, but buttons might help.

I'd say not the Aura One, which is much heavier.

Perhaps the Libra if your lady uses it a lot on the go, or her eyes allow her to read small characters.

I love my Forma: it is light but it allows me to leave a decent margin (I think it looks better), while having a similar quantity of text to a paper book. It is also better to read poetry, PDFs, books with maps or tables or such. Its only problem for me is the battery - but I do read an unconscionable number of hours at a time. I'm disappointed that the 7" Libra has almost the same weight as the 8" Forma while having the same 1200 mAh battery - I wish it had the 1500 mAh of previous models.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 11:57 AM   #5
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Maybe you can try to find out what she likes or doesn't like about her current reader? If she likes the small size because she has small hands or because it fits in a small handbag then maybe she would prefer a Clara.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2019, 12:24 PM   #6
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:

Thanks.
regarding the 7" Libra it's difficult to have an opinion on it until it's released.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 12:25 PM   #7
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
The Aura one has first gen comfort light and it looks pretty bad. Get the new "baby forma"
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 01:51 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Given that she's used to reading on a 6" screen, the 8" screen may be too large. I suggest going for the 7" screen.

I went from a T1 to an H2O (6.8" screen) and yes, I do like having a larger screen. Going from 6" to 8" is a big jump. The 7" screen is not so big a jump.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 03:13 PM   #9
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Maybe you can try to find out what she likes or doesn't like about her current reader? If she likes the small size because she has small hands or because it fits in a small handbag then maybe she would prefer a Clara.
I should have added that I am a woman who had used a Sony PRS-T1 and PRS-T3 and recently switched to a Kobo Clara. The small size was more important to me than the other features that are offered on the larger Kobo readers. Of course everyone has different priorities.

The differences I have noticed the most since switching are:

1. (This is obvious) Lack of buttons. Wish the Kobo at had at least a "home" button.

2. The dictionaries (Sony was better).

3. Search within a book. On the Sony if you highlighted a word to search you then could move backward or forward one instance at a time from your current location.

On the Kobo if you highlight a word to search it shows you a list of every instance in the book - depending on what you are searching for this list may be many pages long.

The Sony method is better if you just want to quickly go back to the most recent instance of the word. The Kobo is better if you want to quickly find the first instance, but is cumbersome if you are well into the book and just want to find the most recent instance.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:35 PM   #10
petercreasey
Wizard

Quote:
had used a Sony PRS-T1 and PRS-T3 and recently switched to a Kobo Clara. The small size was more important to me
Thanks for the good info.

Why do you prefer the small size? I've been thinking the 8" size might be a factor in favor of the Forma.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:48 PM   #11
4691mls
Wizard

Quote:
Thanks for the good info.

Why do you prefer the small size? I've been thinking the 8" size might be a factor in favor of the Forma.
1. I have small hands and don't want to hold a large device. 2. I want to be able to carry it in a not-too-big handbag. 3. I normally use a small font so I don't need a larger screen for visual purposes.

It's entirely possible that none of the above applies to the woman in your life.

Has she seen your reader and expressed interest in any of its features or size? That might be a good place to start. If she looks at your reader and says "wow, I wish I had one like that" then you'll know!
Old 09-05-2019, 05:31 PM   #12
Polarpenguin
Groupie
Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS- T3S, Kobo aura H2O Kobo aura One Kobo libra
I'm a lady with small hands & my current ereader is the KA1. I don't personally find it cumbersome to hold, in contrast to the original H2O which was heavier. I can also fit it into most of my handbags even the smaller ones.

However, I am seriously considering treating my self to the new 7" Libra for the page turn buttons, which I still miss from the Sony days, will make reading at the bus stop easier wearing gloves. I only passed on the Forma as I couldn't really justify upgrading last year.
Polarpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 06:00 PM   #13
petercreasey
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarpenguin View Post
I am seriously considering treating my self to the new 7" Libra for the page turn buttons.
Given you now are happy with the size of the KA1, why might you opt for the smaller 7" Libra rather than the larger Forma?
Old 09-05-2019, 09:12 PM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
3. Search within a book. On the Sony if you highlighted a word to search you then could move backward or forward one instance at a time from your current location.

On the Kobo if you highlight a word to search it shows you a list of every instance in the book - depending on what you are searching for this list may be many pages long.

The Sony method is better if you just want to quickly go back to the most recent instance of the word. The Kobo is better if you want to quickly find the first instance, but is cumbersome if you are well into the book and just want to find the most recent instance.
And if you select one of the instances, then there will be navigation buttons at the bottom of the screen to skip between the instances. Still not perfect for finding the last instance, but, it will get you there.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 11:36 PM   #15
4691mls
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
And if you select one of the instances, then there will be navigation buttons at the bottom of the screen to skip between the instances. Still not perfect for finding the last instance, but, it will get you there.
Yeah, I have figured out how to use it. But since I more often want to use search to find the most recent instance (typically when was the last time a particular person appeared) I prefer the Sony method. Too bad both methods aren't available on the same e-reader!