Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 12:35 PM   #1
georgiworld
georgiworld began at the beginning.

Device: DX
Amazon Sucks

Really want to share my disgust with Amazon. I bought unknowingly, a DX Graphite at a fleamarket that turned out not to function. Amazon refused to help because I could not retrieve the serial number.
After SirAlex provided a method to retrieve the correct serial number, Amazon now claimed it was demo model that was not supposed to be sold but was also not reported stolen.

After an hour speaking with tier 2 support and her manager, they said they would not help me.

I hope by posting here, I can inflame readers who are appalled at Amazon's intrusive big brother control over their device and maybe also find someone knows how to put a working fw on this DX?

I'd also like to see if there are others who have been victimized by Amazon's policies.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:43 PM   #2
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
how many threads on your Demo Model Flea Market Kindle do we need?

Old 05-16-2011, 01:05 PM   #3
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
hmm this is the only one I have seen. It is in the wrong pplace but whatever.

What do you expect Amazon to do? You bought a bad reader at a flea market and Amazon is suppose to send you a new one to replace a reader that you bought for, I am assuming, a massive discount from someone who probably was clearly not an authorized vendor? Really?

If the serial number shows that the unit was not to be sold, a demo unit, or stolen there is nothing that Amazon can do about it. If the unit was within its warrenty and had not been reported stolen, Amazon would have replaced it. I have seen people post about buying broken units on EBay, getting them, calling Amazon with the serial number and having a fully functional units replace the broken one. The units were under warrenty and were not reported stolen or listed as demo units.

You take a risk when you buy something at a flea market or off ebay or off Craigs List. You got burned this time. It is entirly your fault.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:09 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You got scammed. It's unfortunate for you, but it's not Amazon's fault. I'd honestly suggest that you put the incident behind you.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:26 PM   #5
georgiworld

They should stand behind the product that states Amazon Kindle.
The device makes no mention it is a demo unit.
I offered to pay them for a repair.

If this were an Apple product, I know I would be satisfied.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:29 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Your only legal recourse is to return it to the person you bought it from and get your money back. How much did you pay for it, as a matter of interest? If you paid $50 or something like that the alarm bells should have been ringing.

Amazon are under absolutely no obligation whatsoever to give you a new Kindle DX in exchange for a demo unit that was never intended for retail sale.

I'm sorry that you've been ripped off like this, but it's not Amazon's fault in any way whatsoever.

Last edited by HarryT; 05-16-2011 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:39 PM   #7
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have to agree with Harry. You were victimized by the Flea Market scam artist who sold you a fake Kindle.

As for whether or not Apple would fix it for you, who knows? I guess they might. Go buy an iPAD and live happily then.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:43 PM   #8
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiworld View Post
Really want to share my disgust with Amazon. I bought unknowingly, a DX Graphite at a fleamarket that turned out not to function. Amazon refused to help because I could not retrieve the serial number.
After SirAlex provided a method to retrieve the correct serial number, Amazon now claimed it was demo model that was not supposed to be sold but was also not reported stolen.

After an hour speaking with tier 2 support and her manager, they said they would not help me.

I hope by posting here, I can inflame readers who are appalled at Amazon's intrusive big brother control over their device and maybe also find someone knows how to put a working fw on this DX?

I'd also like to see if there are others who have been victimized by Amazon's policies.
Personally I do not understand why you blame Amazon for something you should have know better.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:46 PM   #9
georgiworld

First off it was over 100$. The flea market guys move around so I can't find him.
The device has 4gb of space so it probably is a functioning unit.

All I'm saying is if you put your name on a product... stand behind it.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:51 PM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
All I'm saying is if you put your name on a product... stand behind it.
And they would if you bought a legitimate DX through them or an authorized reseller.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:51 PM   #11
georgiworld

It is not a fake kindle. It is genuine.

According to you guys, all used purchases are invalid.

Seems the music companies tried that years ago with CDs

How that turn out?
Old 05-16-2011, 01:54 PM   #12
georgiworld

And who are you guys to preach about authorized retailers, if you cared about authorized activity, you wouldn't be hacking the sacrosanct Amazon devices
Old 05-16-2011, 01:56 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
It is not a fake kindle. It is genuine.

According to you guys, all used purchases are invalid.

Seems the music companies tried that years ago with CDs

How that turn out?
It's a demo unit that was never supposed to have been sold. So the seller at the flea market scammed you. Amazon is not responsible for demo units being sold by a scam artist. Did you try it out before you bought it?
Old 05-16-2011, 01:56 PM   #14
abookreader
Wizard

I just don't know what else anybody here can tell you. When you turned it on it had to obvious that it was showing the demo screens. That is not a "Kindle DX" it's a demo player. Maybe fake isn't the exact right word, but it sure as heck isn't a Kindle DX. Did you ask him "Hey, where did you get your hands on a demo unit?" Did you ask the seller "Give me a serial number and let me make sure I can register this?" Because nobody should ever buy a used Kindle product without asking those questions.

Unfortunately you got burned. I'm really sorry to hear about it because I don't like to hear stories of anybody being scammed. That doesn't mean Amazon is obligated to rescue however.

You strongly feel Amazon should replace it or fix it. Amazon disagrees with you. I disagree with you. We're probably not going to change your mind though.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:19 PM   #15
mdovell
Zealot
mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle DX
Without opening this up like a can of worms keep in mind you don't need to register the kindle to do everything.

First off you can use calibre to download free web content and convert book formats (epub, lit, pdf, pdb etc)

If you can't use calibre well maybe this might work...

Just put Doukan on it

You'll be able to read epubs and there's a fair amount of them around as that's what other readers use.

Around 16 years ago I found a half broken Coleco Adam at a recycling center and tried to use it. It could load..kinda..graphics were all screwed up but eventually I realized it was a lost cause.

A company usually isn't going to support a product if it went though a 3rd party that might have been a discounter. I worked for a box retailer for years and old "resets" (it means old displays and material often times new product is the same but different packaging) would be sold to discounters. Should this product be able to be returned back? Probably not.. ever read the policies for returning items at a store these days? it goes on for nearly a page...
Closed Thread