Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 09-18-2010, 03:38 AM   #31
ragzy
ragzy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini
I don't like glossy finish on any electronic product, it just lessens the lift time since it will most likely become scratched and end up looking a lot less attractive. The matte finish on the JBL is alot better for a portable device in my opinion.

At least they could provide a free case for it so it doesn't scratch that fast.

I thought I'd go for the black one when I first saw all the colors, but I kind of like the industrial look of the yellow one. The color also makes it hard to displace. But I don't know if I'd want to read outside with it since it might attract bees=P

Does anyone know if they use the same screen (will this model also have the flicker issue)?

Have they removed the dictionary?

At 2.07 in the video, is it the camera or the devie that squeaks? I hate squeaking plastic (and glossy finish). They should also have kept the unique page turn button that it JB/JBL have on the left side. Other than that, I love the design it looks attractive.

The JBL is still an attractive alternative though, and I guess thats good for Ectaco. Why make a perfect device and sell it for a reasonable price when you can get people to buy 2 devices with the demands spread out among the two? Same with the kindle and it's limited format support.
ragzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 08:16 PM   #32
MR. Pockets
Addict
MR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch, Aluratek Libre Pro
Sort of off topic but has anyone ever used Ectaco's "bid you own price" option?
MR. Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2010, 08:21 PM   #33
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. Pockets View Post
Sort of off topic but has anyone ever used Ectaco's "bid you own price" option?
Yes, a year ago when the JBL listed for $149.99, I put in a bid for $120. I never heard back from them.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:50 PM   #34
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
yes, when Jetbooks on the Ectaco site were over 240$, but were selling at newegg for 160$, I put one in for 140$, and got a polite sorry but we can't afford to sell them for that.

Which of course I really didn't believe at the time, still don't for that matter.
Someone was selling them to Newegg, and I don't believe that Newegg was reselling them for a loss. Which means my bid had to be reasonably close to what they were wholesaling them to Newegg.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:29 AM   #35
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
In the UK I put in a bid for about £40 less than the list price, they sent me an email with a £20 off code.

So it's worth giving it a go :-)
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2010, 09:40 AM   #36
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
The biggest draw, to me personally, on the jetbook mini is the "2 years in standby" for battery life. It doesn't sound like its completely powered off, but pretty darn close to it for me.
The one drawback on the jetbook lite, is the fact that it is steadily eating away the batteries while sitting there turned "off" on the shelf. Unused, you will have completely drained batteries in about two weeks. The only way around this as far as I know is to yank the batteries out whenever you're not reading.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:18 PM   #37
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven522 View Post
The biggest draw, to me personally, on the jetbook mini is the "2 years in standby" for battery life. It doesn't sound like its completely powered off, but pretty darn close to it for me.
The one drawback on the jetbook lite, is the fact that it is steadily eating away the batteries while sitting there turned "off" on the shelf. Unused, you will have completely drained batteries in about two weeks. The only way around this as far as I know is to yank the batteries out whenever you're not reading.
Curious. The battieries in my JBL have been in the unit for at least three or four weeks now and the battery "meter" hasn't budged below three bars. It dropped to three bars shortly after I inserted the batteries because of the initial voltage drop to be expected from the low loss NiMH Eneloops I'm using. In fact, when I turned it on a couple of minutes ago, just for excrement and merriment, it showed a full battery for about 30 seconds before dropping back to three bars again which suggests it will be on three bars for some time to come. This is normal with these batteries and experience has told me it is nothing to worry about.

I got way more than two weeks on the alkaline batteries that came with my JBL
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote