Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 04-15-2023, 04:00 AM   #1
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Tom Gauld on future-proofing your novel.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/pi...-novel-cartoon

He regularly publishes in New Scientist, New Yorker and the Literary themes in the Observer / Guardian. Often republishes the strips on his Twitter account.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 04:12 AM   #2
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I enjoyed that! Thanks for the link.

It actually put me in mind - in a much smaller scale - of simply reading over my own work in progress. Indeed, even looking over some of my older writing as a future-self, and thinking, I wonder how many people would be offended by that ... and do I care? (The answer to which, again, seems to depend on my mood as much as anything else.)
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2023, 12:44 PM   #3
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I enjoyed that! Thanks for the link.

It actually put me in mind - in a much smaller scale - of simply reading over my own work in progress. Indeed, even looking over some of my older writing as a future-self, and thinking, I wonder how many people would be offended by that ... and do I care? (The answer to which, again, seems to depend on my mood as much as anything else.)
If writers really start writing "down" everything, so that they don't somehow, somewhere, some way offend SOME person, we really are all doomed. It's bad enough that it's infested comedy, TV, movies...books, too? Et tu, Books?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 01:19 PM   #4
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
If writers really start writing "down" everything, so that they don't somehow, somewhere, some way offend SOME person, we really are all doomed. It's bad enough that it's infested comedy, TV, movies...books, too? Et tu, Books?

Hitch
It's not new, though. In 1880 (or thereabouts) Henrik Ibsen rewrote the ending to A Doll's House for the German market, because he was told it would be too harsh if Nora left her husband and children.
Before that, while he was writing the play, he had planned to end the play with Nora staying with her family, but his wife Suzannah demanded that she should leave. After two weeks of quarreling, Suzannah said "Either Nora leaves, or I do!" and the rest is history

In the first half of 1800s, folklorists Asbjørnsen and Moe collected Norwegian folk tales. They then censored some of them heavily, because they didn't want to offend their readers with the sexual content of the original stories.

Molière's play Tartuffe (1664) was outlawed because it offended church officials.

I'm sure there are many, many more examples.
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 01:25 PM   #5
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildea View Post
It's not new, though. In 1880 (or thereabouts) Henrik Ibsen rewrote the ending to A Doll's House for the German market, because he was told it would be too harsh if Nora left her husband and children.
Before that, while he was writing the play, he had planned to end the play with Nora staying with her family, but his wife Suzannah demanded that she should leave. After two weeks of quarreling, Suzannah said "Either Nora leaves, or I do!" and the rest is history

In the first half of 1800s, folklorists Asbjørnsen and Moe collected Norwegian folk tales. They then censored some of them heavily, because they didn't want to offend their readers with the sexual content of the original stories.

Molière's play Tartuffe (1664) was outlawed because it offended church officials.

I'm sure there are many, many more examples.
Oh, yes, and I'm sure that there are many more examples--we've all known it to happen with trade-published books, too--but hopefully, not en masse and not as some anticipatory kowtowing to people who may not even exist YET. To my mind, it's even worse than the scrubbing happening with extant books.

As I said, it's endemic, everywhere we look. I was hoping that authors, at least, would try to stand on some integrity, but given that comedians haven't, what the hell, why would I expect them to?

Hitch
Advert
Old 04-18-2023, 02:48 PM   #6
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I was hoping that authors, at least, would try to stand on some integrity, but given that comedians haven't, what the hell, why would I expect them to?
Some do show integrity even at cost to their career, so we should make sure to support those who do. Like Tokuda-Hall, who was told, among other things, to remove the word "racism" from her book
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 02:53 PM   #7
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildea View Post
Some do show integrity even at cost to their career, so we should make sure to support those who do. Like Tokuda-Hall, who was told, among other things, to remove the word "racism" from her book
I agree with you, and I agreed with Tokuda-Hall's decision when I read about it. Good for her.

Hitch