Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 11-28-2021, 05:13 PM   #1
Buhaj47
Zealot
Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra 2
Fixing ToC

Have two questions on ToC:
  • I'm tweaking some books' ToC so that there's 1:1 correspondence between xhtml files and ToC entries - think this is necessary for Kobo chapter page count to work correctly in KEPUBs. Is there any way to merge files so that their content is still divided by a page break?
  • Once I modified ToC of some ebooks, right now in the details window for those books there's entry "ToC fixed: Yes". What does it mean?
Buhaj47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 09:40 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/edi...#merging-files

No idea, calibre certainly does add ToC fixed.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2021, 11:28 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buhaj47 View Post
Have two questions on ToC:
  • I'm tweaking some books' ToC so that there's 1:1 correspondence between xhtml files and ToC entries - think this is necessary for Kobo chapter page count to work correctly in KEPUBs. Is there any way to merge files so that their content is still divided by a page break?
As I stated elsewhere, I do not believe there are any real problems with the chapter page count and kepubs that do not have a one-to-one relationship between the ToC and the files. I really think you should test and see before potentially wasting your time doing this.

And I'm not sure what the point of the question about page breaks is. The primary way to do a page break in ebook is to start a new file. The CSS to do this isn't guaranteed to work in all ereaders, and I have no idea if it works on Kobo's for kepubs. But, if you think there is an issue with the ToC, why are you merging files?
Quote:
  • Once I modified ToC of some ebooks, right now in the details window for those books there's entry "ToC fixed: Yes". What does it mean?
That sounds like a custom column that you have added and then set. As Kovid set, it isn't something that is a standard part of calibre.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 06:12 AM   #4
Buhaj47
Zealot
Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
As I stated elsewhere, I do not believe there are any real problems with the chapter page count and kepubs that do not have a one-to-one relationship between the ToC and the files. I really think you should test and see before potentially wasting your time doing this.
A few years ago when I had an Aura H2O the chapter page count was blocking on a number unless there was a 1:1 correspondence. Are you saying now page count for an xhtml is shown even if it doesn't have the relating ToC entry? That would be neat.

Quote:
And I'm not sure what the point of the question about page breaks is.
This is linked to the chapter page count. I was creating ToC entries for html files like an editorial page so that there's 1:1 correspondence. Would be good to create one ToC entry for those initial pages along with a single html file, but still would like for the text to be divided by a page break (within a single html).

Quote:
That sounds like a custom column that you have added and then set.
Yeah, that was my braindead moment - I forgot I set up a column to mark ebooks where I modified ToC.
Buhaj47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 08:08 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buhaj47 View Post
A few years ago when I had an Aura H2O the chapter page count was blocking on a number unless there was a 1:1 correspondence. Are you saying now page count for an xhtml is shown even if it doesn't have the relating ToC entry? That would be neat.
Well, yes, that is what I said.
Quote:
This is linked to the chapter page count. I was creating ToC entries for html files like an editorial page so that there's 1:1 correspondence. Would be good to create one ToC entry for those initial pages along with a single html file, but still would like for the text to be divided by a page break (within a single html).
There are ways to trigger a page break via CSS. But, it is not guaranteed that the reader will not ignore them. I've never bothered to test.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert