Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-05-2009, 03:34 AM   #16
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
I use my Xbox 360. Access to netflix, I can stream other video from my computer (hulu, youtube, amazon unbox, itunes music, pictures, etc). More expensive, clearly, but also has a lot more access and other abilities - like video games (which, admitted, I don't play a lot of but still...)

In my bedroom I actually use a MacMini that is used only as a media machine - it streams to the xbox, and I have a monitor hooked up onto it and just use it as my TV in here (when I move I'm going to plug cable into it, could do it now but its not worth the effort.)
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 04:13 AM   #17
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
I use my Xbox 360. Access to netflix, I can stream other video from my computer (hulu, youtube, amazon unbox, itunes music, pictures, etc). More expensive, clearly, but also has a lot more access and other abilities - like video games (which, admitted, I don't play a lot of but still...)
Hey Gideon, what do you use for streaming hulu and youtube? I'd like to be able to do that myself, especially hulu.

Carl
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2009, 04:19 AM   #18
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

I use a program called "PlayOn." It's Windows only, unfortunately, but it works in emulation so I can use it with Parallels.

Netflix actually runs through it as well... you can access it all on a PS3 as well.

And I believe TVersity is another option and also works with Wii.

I'm very happy with my setup.. took a lot and time to research, but I've set it up so that I can turn off cable (and hook up HD antenna to the mac) and just use the internet. Some of this stuff is a bit pricey up front, but pays for itself in a few months of not paying for cable.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:43 AM   #19
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Hey Gideon, what do you use for streaming hulu and youtube? I'd like to be able to do that myself, especially hulu.

Carl
I have a license to PlayOn also.. although it isn't running right now.

But, Hulu released Hulu Desktop which you can run in Media Center. You can integrate it so it will be available on your XBox via Media Center Extender feature.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:15 PM   #20
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
kind of amazing the choices we have no since the original release of the Roku. And clearly Roku is well behind the curve now.

I did have a box setup as a media center/server for a number of years and used remote access options to control it. But at the time there were no remote controls. So, I used a couple VNC apps to enable use of my PDA and N800 to essentially act as remote controls for the PC's beside each TV in the house. I used old laptops which were still good enough for the purpose. But now most of them simply cannot maintain the video processing. And I don't feel like building new PC's (I have up that part of the biz a loooong time ago, after building your first 2k systems, like pulling miles of cable or using a manual transmission, I got tired of it...hehehehe).

Gideon, I have read so many folks LOVE their Xbox as a media device. It does interest me a lot, but not enough to pop for the price. My original purpose with the Roku & Netflix was to save that just under $130/mo expense for DirecTV figuring I already keep the fastest internet connection offered in my area and change every time an faster connection is offered, why not use it...I know that is immaterial to the device, but for me the Roku made sense last year. This year, might have gone the Xbox route...

I thin, just like reading devices, we are going to see a lot more options soon.

Has anyone tried Boxee? It's another interesting option at which I've only recently looked more closely. My biggest frustration with Netflix/Roku streaming is the lack of a playlist feature as well as the worlds worst organization of media queue content I have ever seen...I mean, cripes, unless one wants to keep just 30 or so items in the list it's just unwieldy, that said, I typically have over 300 items in my Instant Watch queue...I KNOOOW, that is just, well, my fault. In my defence, the reason is, I do not always want to use a PC to access the site, find the content I want, add it to the queue then go watch it. So, I keep a lot of TV series, especially BBC shows which I LOVE but also US shows like CSI and I forget the other one or two. I just would love to see sort of a subscription style playlist not too different from Hulu but also the ability to create playlist/groups of content. Last to filter the list, on the box by genre or topic or ?? would be ideal. I'm sure it's coming "real soon now".

Great reads on the other options we have these days.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2009, 07:18 PM   #21
Gideon
Wearer of Pants

I use Plex, which is similar to Boxee, on my MacMini to manage things. Works BEAUTIFULLY. I used Boxee for a while, but I switched to Plex because it seemed to be a bit more stable.

But that's how I interface with the Mac... just about everything runs through it (and honestly, it's Hulu support is better than the official app for me. I tried to watch Burn Notice last night and it was just terrible on the official app, went to Plex and it worked great.)
Old 06-05-2009, 07:19 PM   #22
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I have a license to PlayOn also.. although it isn't running right now.

But, Hulu released Hulu Desktop which you can run in Media Center. You can integrate it so it will be available on your XBox via Media Center Extender feature.

BOb
I like the look of Hulu Desktop...for now, I have not tried it though. I have my main system on no new apps until I solve a very random and annoying prob which causes the inability to process encrypted pages. And is not repeatable. It also happens in IE8 (when it first begun happening) FF, Opera and other apps that use the Windows Crypto Service.

But that will get Hulu more time to shake out the cobwebs I suppose.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:23 PM   #23
brecklundin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
I use Plex, which is similar to Boxee, on my MacMini to manage things. Works BEAUTIFULLY. I used Boxee for a while, but I switched to Plex because it seemed to be a bit more stable.

But that's how I interface with the Mac... just about everything runs through it (and honestly, it's Hulu support is better than the official app for me. I tried to watch Burn Notice last night and it was just terrible on the official app, went to Plex and it worked great.)
Oh, cool, more Burn Notice fans...dunno why, but I really get a kick outta that show, guess it's because I love anything with Bruce Campbell.

I will have to check out Plex, thanks! I am not a big fan of the Hulu browser based player, but for the most part it works for me.

Anyone else had enough of the University of Phoenix commercial? I swear some days it play 500x...
Old 06-05-2009, 08:07 PM   #24
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
The nice thing about watching Hulu in Firefox is that I can block the ads. Do the software viewers let you do that?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:28 PM   #25
brecklundin
Banned

yeah, Nate, but I use a Hosts file to block the servers and Hulu does not like that...I might have to try FF instead. I know there is AD-block but I never cared for it on my N800. Is that what you are using? Or do you recommend something different...anything is worth it to get those smug creatures in the U Of Phoenix off my screen and out of my ears! hehehe....

Oh, and to answer your question...yes, you should be able to block most of the ad servers in the viewer using a customized HOSTS file. But know as I mentioned above, that Hulu detects when the ad will not load and splats up a message that they are displeased...hehehe...

Last edited by brecklundin; 06-05-2009 at 09:31 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:31 PM   #26
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I use Adblock in Firefox on WinXP. It doesn't get all the adds, but it gets most. I'm surprised the software viewers don't block the ads.

What's the experience like on your N800? I hadn't thought of trying it.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:34 PM   #27
brecklundin
Banned

Thing that happens on my N800 is Adblock slows down an already slow browser. I have not tried to see if there have been improvements in quite a while. BTW, I also move my HOSTS file from my PC over to my N800 to block ads as well. No need to make changes just have to put it in the correct directory, and not being a Linux guy, I pretty much always need to look that up when moving over a new version. d'oh!!
Old 06-05-2009, 10:38 PM   #28
exvaxman
Connoisseur
exvaxman began at the beginning.

pre-ordered a roku box and have loved it for a long time. Starz was a great addition.
exvaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:42 PM   #29
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I've had my Roku for several months now. You can also download Netflix video through some Blu-ray players. I don't think they're wireless though.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 12:42 AM   #30
brecklundin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
I've had my Roku for several months now. You can also download Netflix video through some Blu-ray players. I don't think they're wireless though.
You know...I am not sure what connectivity options exist for the blu-ray/STB Streaming devices. I only know there are more devices coming out every day. So far the simplest to use that I have come across is a Roku but I only read the box on a Blu-ray/streaming combo box once and that was a number of months back, so much must have changed since.

Nice to see there are still folks happy with the service. We live by it anymore.