Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-21-2009, 02:17 PM   #1
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Thumbs down Youtubes stink!

Any one knows why a series of youtubes in a thread page makes my computers freeze and crash?

Both my XP and my Linux stutter and freeze, only the XP crashes.

Whatever site, any page I go to will do that. I'm getting tired of this...
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:29 PM   #2
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
That's weird... YT is usually pretty stable for me. Especially in FF 3.5.

Umm, what kind of specs are you running on? How up to date are your video drivers?
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2009, 07:01 AM   #3
Kostas
Still wondering why
Kostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-books

Device: PRS 505, (BlackBerry Bold ?)
If you're using Firefox, I remember that I had crash problems too with youtube because of some addons. Don't remember which one.
Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:14 AM   #4
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Ack! You're still having this problem? How can you see all the YouTubes of doggies driving cars to get bacon? And doggies laughing at the silly cat who thinks it's a squirrel? You gotta fix this, man.

What browser are you using? I can only tell you that with Windows 2000 and Windows XP running Internet Explorer, my browser always hangs momentarily when I get to a page in MR that has the imbedded YouTubes. But it only does so for less than 10 seconds. Why? I haven't a clue. Is it related to your problem? Only the great freaking gods of IT know the answer (and they really don't know, or else they refuse to tell).
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:22 AM   #5
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm using Firefox on the Linux and IE on the XP.

If there's only one youtube in a page, I can vew it with no problem unless it's a long one. Then the cursor starts jittering but that's ok. If there are a few short ones in a page, it can handle them although some times it can freeze.

The worst is a page with as few as 5 imbedded movies, then just scrolling down the page is virtually impossible. It'll jam. I have to shut down IE with a control/alt/delete sometimes and at others the cursor freezes and the computer will not respond to any type of input, and at other times, Click! Everything shuts off!

On Linux and Firefox when things jam, I can't shut Firefox because I don't know if there are keyboard shortcuts to do so. When the cursor is frozen I can't navigate in the computer so I have to uses the on/off button. If I'm lucky the Off dialog box will show up and I can use it with the arrow and enter keys. If not, even closing the lid will not shut the computer down. When I open the lid, the frozen display comes back up. So then, I must unplug the machine, take out the battery, insert it back in, replug and reboot.

The whole shmuck is really annoying, since the PC takes 13 minutes to boot up(Norton's fault). So I avoid pages with youtubes as much as I can.

If you know workarounds I'd be grateful. The PC is old, I know but the Linux is an AsusEEE 1 1/2 years old and I know nothing as how to install anything other than what it tells me to. God knows how I tried.

Anyway, soon I'm going back to slavery so I won't have the time to use a computer...
Advert
Old 07-22-2009, 08:37 AM   #6
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
My husband can hardly watch youtube at home. It will play for about a minute, then grind to a halt. And it's not our internet connection, because when I watch that same video, I've no problems at all.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:47 AM   #7
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Never had that problem once I switched to Verizon FiOS. Back in cable and satellite days I had major problems with YouTube. It may have more to do with your ISP's connection to YouTube than anything else.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:14 PM   #8
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Thank you Wood, it hadn't occured to me that my connection could be the culprit.

I'll bring my EEE somewhere else and do some trials.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:31 PM   #9
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
I would suggest you switch to firefox on your Windows computer*. Then install the Flashblock plug-in on both. This will stop the YouTube windows from loading unless you want them to.

*At the very least this should stop XP from crashing.

Last edited by Dylrob; 07-22-2009 at 04:57 PM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 05:13 PM   #10
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
I'm using XP and Firefox on my Asus, and I've never had a problem. It is a high speed cable connection, and I suppose that could make a difference.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 05:36 PM   #11
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

I have a high speed connection through a phone line. It works fast enough but apparently not reliably...
Old 07-23-2009, 01:02 PM   #12
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
I have a high speed connection through a phone line. It works fast enough but apparently not reliably...
Could be, my phone and internet are separate, and I have heard of people having problems with phone and DSL interrupting each other's signal flow. Don't know where I heard it, but it was recently.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 01:21 PM   #13
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I have a really good computer, but if I play one of the embedded utubes, it freezes. And don't get me started on how posts with the dragons slow down my comoputer!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 01:59 PM   #14
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I have a really good computer, but if I play one of the embedded utubes, it freezes. And don't get me started on how posts with the dragons slow down my comoputer!
I think you can addblock those by entering the dragoncave link as an add. You'll get the posts but not their sig.
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:43 PM   #15
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I'll try that - thanks!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote