Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 01-03-2009, 01:21 PM   #1
fabiocbr75
fabiocbr75 began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
PDF & password

Hi,
In some post, I read that the dr1000s can open the pdf protected with password.

Before I buy a ebook, I try to open this pdf:
http://www.apress.com/info/faq

but my dr1000s don't open this ebook.

Please help me

Thanks
fabiocbr75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:41 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
There are several programs all called PdfCrypt (so probably related) that can produce a password-free version of a PDF if you know the password.

A password probably counts as DRM, so stripping the password for personal use may not be legal where you live.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2009, 08:26 PM   #3
fxn
fxn began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR 1000S
On the Mac I use PDFLab.
fxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:39 PM   #4
timezone
Addict
timezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Windows Phone7, Kindle Fire
I do believe password PDF files are a royal pain on the reader making them almost useless. I still have the illiad. I am waiting for the wireless version. I was able to open the Apress book on the illiad by entering the password they gave for the test. I would hope the Digital Reader can handle anything the iLiad handles. Besides the pain of passwords I am not sure why you cannot open the book. Maybe you already did this but I would first test on the PC. If you can't open it on the PC then it must have been a failed file transfer.
timezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:33 AM   #5
keng2000
Researcher and Consultant
keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: MACBOOKPRO17" HP2400TX SONYUX27
If it is not DRM, based on reverse engineering algorithm from Russian hacker several years ago.I remember he got caught in Las Vegas and released in Christmas eve. You can always remove password from PDF files.
keng2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2009, 06:57 AM   #6
fxn
fxn began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR 1000S
There's an article in the knowledge database that says passwords are supported with some exceptions.

But as of this writing that does not apply to the DR 1000S (I opened a ticket about this, they will probably reword that entry). The DRs at this moment have *no* support for passwords.

That being said, if you know the password you can just generate a copy that has no password protection. I use PDFLab on the Mac and worked for some Apress books I bought.
fxn is offline   Reply With Quote