Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-06-2014, 04:54 PM   #1
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Bookish sold to Zola books

From the WSJ:
http://online.wsj.com/news/article_e...MDAwNjEwNDYyWj

Quote:
Zola Books Inc., a fledgling e-books retailer, is buying Bookish, a book site launched last February by CBS Corp.'s Simon & Schuster, Lagardere SCA's Hachette Book Group, and Penguin Group (USA), now part of Penguin Random House. The purchase price wasn't disclosed.
Quote:
The site so far is losing money on modest revenue, which one person involved in the venture estimated to be under $5 million on annualized basis. "It's fair to say we aren't acquiring it for the revenue," said Joe Regal, Zola's chief executive. "We're a technology company and they created a valuable piece of technology. To make it fly would be great for our company."
Zola itself is a modestly funded startup so the sale price was probably low, as expected of a half-baked, poorly defined effort.

Quote:
The site's recommendation engine is built around specific book attributes as opposed to consumer purchases. For example, a reader who liked Gillian Flynn's best-selling thriller "Gone Girl" is offered four recommendations, including the late Elmore Leonard's novel "Rum Punch." But the site may need some further tinkering: one of the four recommendations for readers who liked "Gone Girl" is Michael Paterniti's "The Telling Room," a work of nonfiction.
It's going to need a lot of further work.
If they can get the recommendation engine working properly (like the music recommendation engines at Pandora. LAST.FM, etc) they can probably make more money licensing its services to the generic epub ebookstores than selling ebooks.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:38 PM   #2
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Yep, it's going to need a lot of work. I tried it out with a few books, trying to group similar type books so I didn't freak it out too much. I wasn't exactly impressed with the suggestions.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2014, 09:11 PM   #3
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
I couldn't get it to make a recommendation with Captain Vorpatril's Alliance and Redshirts (runner-up and Hugo Award winner last year), and when I looked at Catch-22, it claimed that it was available as an ebook for $1, but it wasn't available anywhere for that price. I'm not impressed.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:33 AM   #4
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
The first company that can give reliable recommendations ought to make some serious money. Heck, I'm still looking for someone who can reliably tell me when favored authors have new books available as ebooks. I've pretty much given up on trying to browse the Amazon Kindle store for new releases.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:26 AM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I hate recommendations of all kinds. More times than not, they get it wrong.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2014, 11:30 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I hate recommendations of all kinds. More times than not, they get it wrong.
Amazon's reading recommendations are scarily good. I often end up buying books they recommend to me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote