Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-10-2010, 03:54 AM   #1
Kindle Addict
kindict
Kindle Addict doesn't litterKindle Addict doesn't litterKindle Addict doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2, Kobo, iPad, Nook
10,000 Books on a Kindle 2?

I've been enjoying the mobileread forums since my co-worker won a Kindle 2. I received one as a gift shortly after that and have been disassembling it ever since!

I've heard of a few people with over 1,000 books on their Kindle, but I wanted to know just how many books the Kindle 2 could handle. I attempted to load 10,000 books and posted the results on my kindicted site. Turns out that 10,000 books is a bit too much for the Kindle 2!

Does anyone else have any experience with a large number of books? My goal was to convert and load journal articles for the last 10 years, but the search is useless with that many documents. It seems that the Kindle won't be handling a large number of books without a hardware refresh.

Kindicted
Kindle Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:18 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindle Addict View Post
I've heard of a few people with over 1,000 books on their Kindle, but I wanted to know just how many books the Kindle 2 could handle. I attempted to load 10,000 books and posted the results on my kindicted site. Turns out that 10,000 books is a bit too much for the Kindle 2!
An interesting experiment. I'd like to know how the iPad will cope with a large number of books. After all, even the small model has 16GB memory, and the large one has 64GB!

I have just over 2000 ebooks at the moment, taking up just under 1.5GB. So in 16GB I should be able to fit 20,000 ebooks, and in 64GB about 80,000!

:-)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2010, 05:15 AM   #3
Jonas777
Groupie
Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2 Intl
Could it be the indexing that chokes on such an amount of books loaded at once? Maybe if you try to load a few 100's of books and then wait a day for the next batch you will be able to load more books in total?
Jonas777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:19 AM   #4
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
How the heck do you find a book with so many on the reader! Ugh! I only keep about 100 on the K2 and the rest on the computer lol
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:13 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
How the heck do you find a book with so many on the reader! Ugh! I only keep about 100 on the K2 and the rest on the computer lol
Ah - I don't have my entire collection on my K2. I would like to, but as you say, the organisation on the Kindle and speed of selection makes it impractical.
Advert
Old 02-10-2010, 11:16 AM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
How do you even have 10,000 books? That's quite a collection.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:11 PM   #7
Kindle Addict
kindict
Kindle Addict doesn't litterKindle Addict doesn't litterKindle Addict doesn't litter

Thanks for the comments! As a general comment, 10,000 books is not unreasonable for a researcher on the go. If I wanted to call up all the journal articles on 'surface plasmon', I should be able to do so. I would think that medical, engineering, sales, etc. individuals would love to have a searchable reference library at their fingertips.

pdurrant: The number of books per GB is exactly my line of thinking - I thought Amazon's book limits per device were based on available memory, but it would appear that there are other software factors at play as well.

I'll repeat the experiment on my iPad (as soon as I have one). By the way, how does 2,000 books behave for you?

jonas777: On the detail of the process on my site, I kind of incrementally load the books (5,000 at a time), but each time you eject the Kindle it appears to have to re-index the entire lot, so 100 at a time is rather painful.

lilac_jive: I don't own 10,000 books, but as part of my job, I have a large collection of electronic journal articles, but they are in PDF format and won't fit in the 1.4GB of available memory. For the test, I used a bash script (available on my site) to create 10,000 copies of a one-character book I wrote, since I was really testing if the Kindle could even handle that many 'books'.

Kindict
Old 02-10-2010, 01:08 PM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
I'll repeat the experiment on my iPad (as soon as I have one). By the way, how does 2,000 books behave for you?
I only have around 400 on my Kindle. It seems to handle that number well.

I did used to have 1800 or so on my CyBook Gen3 - that wasn't do good, as this was with the old firmware, and navigating 1800 books at 20 per page wasn't practical. (& it made start-up times much too long.)

I would like my next reader to be able to manage a large collection. If I include the various PD books I've actually downloaded and oragnised, I have just over 2400 books in my collection.

It will be interesting to see how the iPad handles large numbers of ebooks.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:17 PM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
I've been enjoying the mobileread forums since my co-worker won a Kindle 2. I received one as a gift shortly after that and have been disassembling it ever since!

Does anyone else have any experience with a large number of books? My goal was to convert and load journal articles for the last 10 years, but the search is useless with that many documents. It seems that the Kindle won't be handling a large number of books without a hardware refresh.

Kindicted
Unlike the Kindle1, you are limited to the space Amazon decided you should have.

The K1 had an SD card slot.......so i can have as many books as I want by either changing out cards, or using a larger one.

Right now I only have just over 800 books loaded......by author. The only thing I've noticed, is that it takes a little longer to come out of its 'sleep' mode.

According to the Kindle page on Amazon, you can

Carry Your Library: Holds up to 1,500 books

The Kindle DX can hold up to 3500 books.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:23 PM   #10
Kindle Addict
kindict

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Unlike the Kindle1, you are limited to the space Amazon decided you should have.

The K1 had an SD card slot.......so i can have as many books as I want by either changing out cards, or using a larger one.

Right now I only have just over 800 books loaded......by author. The only thing I've noticed, is that it takes a little longer to come out of its 'sleep' mode.

According to the Kindle page on Amazon, you can

Carry Your Library: Holds up to 1,500 books

The Kindle DX can hold up to 3500 books.
I assumed that Amazon's specs were limited by available memory based on an average size book. If a Kindle 2 can do 1,500, and a Kindle DX 3,500, then why not more with more memory? The processors are the same (Freescale 532 MHz, ARM-11), so it's not a question a processing ability. Maybe Amazon will provide a PC-based index function to speed this process up?

I also have a guide to expanding the Kindle 2's memory on my site, but specialized tools (and skills) are required.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:56 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
For devices that have a hierarchical folder system and a memory card slot, it's no problem at all to have 10,000 books. Assuming a typical 300k for an eBook (and that's probably an over-estimate), it would only require 3GB of storage space. The limiting factor on a Kindle at present is the "flat" library structure, I think, rather than the storage space.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 03:08 PM   #12
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The limiting factor on a Kindle at present is the "flat" library structure, I think, rather than the storage space.
The indexing of all Kindle content also is a factor.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 04:51 PM   #13
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Is it the processor which is lacking when trying to search so many documents? Or does it get to the point where you use so much Kindle space that there isn't enough left to store the search index?

I like the idea of storing a huge amount of journals or something. Storing every national geographic or Time on a Kindle would also be cool!
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:47 AM   #14
Kindle Addict
kindict

I don't think it's a space issue; the 10,000 files only took up 27.3MB (as detailed here). The processor is a bit pokey, but it shouldn't be that slow. My gut feeling is that the indexing system is written in Java, which is interpreted and can be slow, and it is more than likely sub-optimized for indexing a large number of books. Maybe subsequent updates will help. I'm certainly going to re-create this test on the iPad to see how it fares.

I saw the DVD set for every National Georgraphic at Costco for something like $69.00. It would be pretty cool to have all of that searchable. Although for now, PDFs are only searchable one at a time. See my latest article on Kindle search here.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:51 PM   #15
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
As far as the actual search functionality the iPad will be incredible. Because the system is OS X based, they have spotlight search throughout the device (like the iPhone does). When I search on my iPhone for a phrase, it checks the meta data/titles of names/locations in address book, application names, music, movies, pdfs, docs. So it indexes pretty much everything.

On my mac I search for the word 'test' for example and have every PDF that contains the word, every file/mp3 with the word in it's meta data, tag or title pop up in 1-2 seconds. Microsoft finally copied spotlight in Windows 7 and it's nearly as good (similar functionality, just slower).
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindicted, kindle 2, large library