Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-14-2013, 03:28 AM   #46
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
When you create a new VL you can click on a link to help construct a search from authors, tags, etc. I am considering adding saved searches to that list.
Sounds good. I recreated one VL by pulling up a saved search first then going into the Create VL menu and just adding a VL name.

Quote:
Question 1: is it worth the trouble? Probably, but every choice adds just that much more complexity.
I think it is. My current default VL that I created using the Create VL option uses a saved search in part of the string.

Quote:
Question 2: if added, then should the search text be populated with a reference to the saved search (search:"foo") or with the search that "foo" contains (e.g., author:bar or author:mumble)?
I would vote for the bare bones search. In case it makes a difference I have one saved search that contains a previous saved search. I tripped over converting the whole thing back to its original pieces.

Finished Library: not tags:"=working" and search:"=Main Library"
Main Library: not tags:"=Adult" or not tags:"=Non-Fiction"

Quote:
Populating with the search preserves the indirection, is both a good and bad thing. The good: the VL will follow changes to the search, which the user might expect when changing the search. The bad: the VL will follow changes to the search, which might confuse things if the user has forgotten that the search is referenced in the VL. Deleting the search will break the VL.
It never occurred to me that if I deleted or changed a saved search I might be breaking a VL. I vote for removing the coupling.

Quote:
I tend toward copying the underlying search string in order to avoid future mysteries if the saved search is changed or deleted, but can be easily convinced to do it the other way. Thoughts?
As long as the search within a search can be properly parsed (even though this basic thing kicked my ass I have to believe it is easy) then I'm all for decoupling Saved searches from VLs.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:12 AM   #47
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I vote for using Saved Search names. But is it possible to have a Balloon Help with the actual saved term? (I know how to see it using the long way )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2013, 11:06 AM   #48
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
But is it possible to have a Balloon Help with the actual saved term? (I know how to see it using the long way )
Not in any of the popup menus. Tool tips aren't supported there. That leaves the edit/create dialog, which would imply detecting that the mouse pointer is over a reference to a saved search. I don't know if there is a way to see a "hover" and parsing the text to identify referencing a saved search at exactly that point in the text would be"interesting". So unless I misunderstood you, it isn't likely.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #49
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Not in any of the popup menus. Tool tips aren't supported there. That leaves the edit/create dialog, which would imply detecting that the mouse pointer is over a reference to a saved search. I don't know if there is a way to see a "hover" and parsing the text to identify referencing a saved search at exactly that point in the text would be"interesting". So unless I misunderstood you, it isn't likely.
Thanks,
it was just an idea.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:17 PM   #50
Kirtai
Addict
Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-650, iPad, Samsung Galaxy SII (JB), Google Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
I tend toward copying the underlying search string in order to avoid future mysteries if the saved search is changed or deleted, but can be easily convinced to do it the other way. Thoughts?
I'd suggest copying the string to preserve the principle of least surprise. Changing something in one part of calibre shouldn't change or break things in a seemingly unconnected part. Also, you want to change the search and VL separately. e.g. start a VL with a saved search then tweak it.
Kirtai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2013, 10:23 PM   #51
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirtai View Post
I'd suggest copying the string to preserve the principle of least surprise. Changing something in one part of calibre shouldn't change or break things in a seemingly unconnected part.
I agree, copying the underlying search string is the way to go. If you don't do that then weeks or months later when a user decides to alter or clean up their saved searches they can easily break the VL which as you say is a "seemingly unconnected part."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirtai View Post
Also, you want to change the search and VL separately. e.g. start a VL with a saved search then tweak it.
Agreed, you should be able to tweak one without effecting the other.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:52 AM   #52
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
But is it possible to have a Balloon Help with the actual saved term? (I know how to see it using the long way )
I found a way to track the mouse cursor in the text widget, and also realized that a quick-and-dirty parse would be sufficient. The result: what is shown in the dialog below.

If you hover the mouse pointer over the "s" of "search:", it will fill in the box below with the search expression. This is independent of the position of the editing cursor. That saved search expression will remain in the box until you hover over a different search. This lets you hover to get the search expression then copy and do whatever you want with it.

This stuff may not end up in the final release. When playing at this level we sometimes run into problems with gui artifacts on one system or another. Kovid checks for this when he reviews the code and builds the various versions. If it happens here, then the changes will be removed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	104398  
Old 04-15-2013, 09:00 AM   #53
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
I found a way to track the mouse cursor in the text widget, and also realized that a quick-and-dirty parse would be sufficient. The result: what is shown in the dialog below.

If you hover the mouse pointer over the "s" of "search:", it will fill in the box below with the search expression. This is independent of the position of the editing cursor. That saved search expression will remain in the box until you hover over a different search. This lets you hover to get the search expression then copy and do whatever you want with it.

This stuff may not end up in the final release. When playing at this level we sometimes run into problems with gui artifacts on one system or another. Kovid checks for this when he reviews the code and builds the various versions. If it happens here, then the changes will be removed.
Chaley
You never cease to amaze me
Old 04-15-2013, 12:52 PM   #54
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Kovid wanted me to do the display of saved searches differently.

The first image is what you see if there aren't any saved searches in the expression:

Name:	Clipboard02.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	104440
As you can see, it is not different from what it was before.

The next one is what you see if there are (recognizable) saved searches in the expression:

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	104441
The saved search text can be selected with the mouse and copied to the clipboard. You would do this if you want to convert the saved search reference to the associated search expression.

This code is in trunk for those of you who run from source.