Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 01-07-2010, 02:33 AM   #1
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
Longtime Lurker

Longtime lurker, first-time poster. Hi.

Ive been reading books a long time lol and ebooks for quite a while as well (5 years or so). I currently use my Notebook which is hooked up to my bedroom HDTV (using Calibre) or my mobile phone which is an LG VU CU920 (Bookworm). So I buy me a book and put into Calibre convert to epub if needed and then upload it to Bookworm. Though there are shortcomings to both but it works for me for now. Until I get a ereader.

Ive held off buying a ereader because of a combination of things. I think they are too expensive for one. And the tech is kinda limited. Which is understandable for infant (new) tech. I paid 500 bucks for my first bluray/hddvd combo player (LG BH200). I wouldn't have paid half that price for a bluray player if all it did was play just blurays.

I plan on buying an ereader within this first quarter (hopefully). I am not sure what I am going to end up getting though. And unless I find exactly what I want near my price point I will just wait. For me there is two options. A low end ereader that only reads and thats it (say $100 to $140). Or a high end ereader that acts like an ultra netbook (say $250 to $300). Obviously on the low end I can grab a Jetbook or the Aluratek Libre (I really like the Libre). Which is near my price point for a dedicated ereader. But I really don't see anything near my price point for the high end ultra netbook ereader (yet). But I do see some very interesting tech coming soon which should eventually lower the pricing (hopefully lol) across the spectrum (low, mid and high). Should be an interesting time for us ebook enthusiasts.

Anyway just thought I would drop by and say hi and post my thoughts.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:36 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Welcome to Mobileread!

I suspect you'll be looking at the second half of this year, or next year at those price points. It's certainly looks like there will be lots of new models of dedicated ebook readers this year. I'm looking forward to some eInk devices with non-glass screens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns4Hire View Post
For me there is two options. A low end ereader that only reads and thats it (say $100 to $140). Or a high end ereader that acts like an ultra netbook (say $250 to $300).
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2010, 05:26 AM   #3
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Hi and welcome to mobileread - longtime lurker

You will get plenty of advice here on which ereading device to buy. Seems there are lots more coming out this year to think about too. May you choose well.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:12 AM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Guns and welcome to MobileRead. Be sure and let us know what you finally decide on.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:20 AM   #5
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Guns. I have a feeling that Pdurrant is right and that prices will start to tumble for read-only readers in the second half of the year during the mid-year slump. Of course, you could hedge your bets by going for something with a high re-sale value like a Sony PRS-505. Lovely machine, now out of production but available here and there, great demand for used units in tip-top condition. Good luck. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert