Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-28-2009, 11:43 AM   #16
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
There seems the be a hidden drive, the .6 that Amazon is holding onto. I can't get to it to see what's in there (maybe I need Linux to see it?).
Possibly you can't get to it at all. It may not be exposed to the USB interface to keep people from "accidentally" playing with it which would/could brick the thing.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:47 AM   #17
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Possibly you can't get to it at all. It may not be exposed to the USB interface to keep people from "accidentally" playing with it which would/could brick the thing.

BOb
What other options are there for getting to it? Does have to be opened up and connected to a computer by some weird cable? No, I'm not going to make myself crazy over it and try. I'm just curious.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:49 AM   #18
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
What other options are there for getting to it? Does have to be opened up and connected to a computer by some weird cable? No, I'm not going to make myself crazy over it and try. I'm just curious.
I would guess that yes, there is some type of debugging port that you can connect to with a tty (serial) type connection to get shell access to the device via SSH. I think this is actually how Igorsky spelunked around in the K1.

Then again, you may be able to SSH in via the USB port... I haven't tried it. But, I doubt it would work.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:00 PM   #19
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Yep, you'd get to it via the command prompt via the TTY port like the K1. Daffy, if you haven't seen this already: http://igorsk.blogspot.com/
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:12 PM   #20
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Yep, you'd get to it via the command prompt via the TTY port like the K1. Daffy, if you haven't seen this already: http://igorsk.blogspot.com/
Yeah, I've seen it but admit I only paid attention to the results, not how he got them. I've even suggested that we take up a collection to buy a K2 for igorsk, so he can check out it's innards and tell us about any new and different Easter eggs that might be present.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:18 PM   #21
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
I decided to load up my Kindle just to see what would happen. I loaded over 2000 files but still had over 500KB left. Amazon sent me an email telling me that I was out of storage on the K2 and I needed to delete some files so that they could send content to my K2. . . So, this means that you effectively have far less than 1.4GB storage or maybe it's also limited by the total number of files.
Is this a myth that should be added to the myth/truth wiki?
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 04:16 PM   #22
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Maybe, if there is some additional corroborating evidence.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:41 PM   #23
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Again, in case anyone missed my earlier reply, you get that message when you try to write too many files to the device simultaneously. It's not actually full, and you do really get 1.4GB (although if you completely fill up Kindle 2 I suspect the indexing files would take about 200 GB of that.)
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote