Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-20-2014, 10:03 AM   #46
Ladyrixx
Zealot
Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro, Kobo Mini, Nook Glowlight 2, Kobo Forma
I'd suggest a Kobo Aura. (The Aura HD uses the same annoying (at least to me) IR technology as the Kobo mini)

As for bigger memory, I opened up my Mini, did a DD in Linux, and put in a 16GB card. The 2GB one that came with it (or was it 4GB?) couldn't hold all my books/manga/knitting patterns.
Ladyrixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 12:01 PM   #47
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
The Paperwhite has a much better reputation regarding speed than the Nook...
The Nook ST is kickass! Actually I played around with a PW2 the other day and I was surprised to see that it was no zippier than my aging Nook ST. Of course, I do run spreadsheets on the Nook and do word-processing on it too. Can't do that on a Kindle
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 12:02 PM   #48
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, that's correct; the internal memory on the ST is partitioned, with 75% of it reserved for B&N content.
Not on my Nook Plus you can add an SD-card. Something you can't do on a Kindle.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 12:23 PM   #49
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Of course I can check the size of any book on the PC.
Or I can check the book description on the website.
But if my Reader claims "no more space available", I'd rather see the size of the books directly on the reader, since I manually have to delete from there.
Which ereader does allow you to do that?

One thing you could do is jailbreak and install KUAL+kterm so you can list books by size and delete them in one go.

Last edited by eschwartz; 06-25-2014 at 10:19 PM. Reason: typo
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 01:37 PM   #50
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
...which they do, even after cutting down on the memory. Amazon undoubtedly discovered that few (in proportion) Kindle owners use more than 1.5 GB at any given time.

More memory is not the feature that will drive more sales why should Amazon drive up the price of all Kindles for the sake of the handful that would use the extra space?
I agree in one sense, but memory is so cheap these days, why not. In fact last week at Walmart 8 GIG USB drives were cheaper than 2. (not that I wanted either but someone must)

I wouldn't expect them to retrofit older devices, but why not design new ones with more memory?

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 03:31 PM   #51
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I guess its just another way to wall in customers. When the space on the deviceis limited but all books bought at Amazon can be to stored in the A-cloud, people can have as many Amazon bought books just a sync away. But it prevents people from buying lots of books elsewhere and loading them on the device. They can still buy books somewhere else but they can put only so many on their Kindle.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 03:46 PM   #52
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
I guess its just another way to wall in customers. When the space on the deviceis limited but all books bought at Amazon can be to stored in the A-cloud, people can have as many Amazon bought books just a sync away. But it prevents people from buying lots of books elsewhere and loading them on the device. They can still buy books somewhere else but they can put only so many on their Kindle.
You could be right. Makes no sense to me.

Most people don't want 1,000+ books on their reader, never mind a kindle with its poor collection management. I refer specifically to the collections do not stay ordered but hop around although their are other issues.

Still this is obvious even with a few hundred books so why give as much memory as they do?.

The average kindle owner probably doesn't want to buy books elsewhere but why would it prevent them? 100 books are 100 books and 1000 books are 1000 books no matter where you buy them.

Helen
Old 06-20-2014, 04:10 PM   #53
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
I can't understand why people want several Gigs of ebooks (which may translaters to hundreds, maybe thousands of books) in the same device and at the same time.

There is no human being that can read all of them in just a few weeks or days.

It would be different if we were talking about a PC or Mac with Calibre, but hey, this is a portable ereader.

I mainly read MS-SQL and IT books which are bigger in size (talking about ebooks, not PDFs) than most ebooks that people may read or buy here. And I have tons of MS-SQL books on my PW2 and I can add much more.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 04:20 PM   #54
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
I can't understand why people want several Gigs of ebooks (which may translaters to hundreds, maybe thousands of books) in the same device and at the same time.
To be able to carry one's entire library with them when they go on trips or go anywhere. Can't always access the cloud, lots of people don't have smart phones and hot spots and tethers and whatever else they use to get things from the cloud. I modified one of my Kobo Mini's to hold a 16gb card and have 5,000 books on it. Some of us read like mosquitoes, zipping around from book to book. I am currently reading 5.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 04:57 PM   #55
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:

There is no human being that can read all of them in just a few weeks or days.

It would be different if we were talking about a PC or Mac with Calibre, but hey, this is a portable ereader.

I mainly read MS-SQL and IT books which are bigger in size (talking about ebooks, not PDFs) than most ebooks that people may read or buy here. And I have tons of MS-SQL books on my PW2 and I can add much more.
Of course we can't read all of them in just weeks or days or months or even years. What has that to do with it? I like my stores to carry a variety of stuff I can't buy/use/eat all of in weeks or days. I like my library to carry more books than I can read in weeks or days or even years.

I've never read a MS-SQL book cover to cover and although I possess a few in both paper and pdf I would not read any of them on and ereader. I certainly would not have 6 or 10 etc. on an ereader, but would vigorously defend your right to do so if that is what you want to do.

I have eclectic tastes, and like the luxury of being able to pick from a variety at any hour of the day or night without having to be connected to my computer or the (mostly mythical) cloud where I live in the summer. Even if I had internet access and power full time I would still want a good variety of books on my reader. I don't see it as more greedy than going to a store and being able to buy more than one item or keeping more I can eat in a day or week in my freezer. Heck I can only sit in one place at a time and I have two sofas, 12 chairs and a recliner. Rarely need them all but occasionally I run out of seating for guests.

Nothing against minimalism, but it doesn't work for everyone on all occasions. I can't understand the reason for the thinly veiled condemnation I frequently see disguised as incredulity although I am sure that was not your intent.

Helen
Old 06-20-2014, 06:18 PM   #56
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
I can't understand why people want several Gigs of ebooks (which may translaters to hundreds, maybe thousands of books) in the same device and at the same time...
I'm one of those people.
Not just for eBooks, but all my gadgets.
At one point, I've had about 20 memory cards for my Sony PSPgo, to have all my games with me all the time.
I've bought about 950 eBooks from Amazon over the last 5 years and would like to have them all with me, all the time.
If available, I buy the 3G versions of Amazon's readers. So I can download all books instantly, even in the remotest of locations without WiFi.
Still: It's not about the getting to the content. It's about having the content available ad hoc.
After all, I'm a collector.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:00 PM   #57
thejamesongirl
thejamesongirl began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
I bought a used Kobo Touch in January and this week I confirmed that the charge port has broken loose and no longer communicates with my computer. Apparently, this is a common hardware issue with Kobos and not supported by the company. I haven't tried contacting them since I purchased it used and I got a good deal. Right now, I can charge the device and read the books that are currently on it, but since I don't know how long that will last, I purchased a Nook Touch to replace it.
thejamesongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:19 PM   #58
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I am one of those people who have eclectic tastes and are in the middle of reading about a dozen books. I like having a long list of my favorite books available at all times as well -- sometimes I want to look something up right away. I am also the most intense, always-reading-a-book reader I know (by a small margin in a few cases) although I know there are many here that can match me.

And I am fine with the Kindle's 2 to 4 GB memory, since I can hold from 1000 to 3500 books on it.

I have my 170-book TBR on it, I have all my favorites on it, and I don't need ludicrously expanded memory to do it... I wrote a scathing post about it somewhere, I will see if I can find it.

Not that it is a bad thing to have the space. I simply don't see it as a make-it-or-break-it feature.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:10 PM   #59
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
...And I am fine with the Kindle's 2 to 4 GB memory, since I can hold from 1000 to 3500 books on it...[/U][/B]
I have 623 books on my Paperwhite 2 (all bought from Amazon, no side loaded content) and 9MB left (which I need, else notes and such don't work anymore).
I can't download my other 270 books.
The ones on my reader are standard textbooks, no space consuming comics or travel companions and the likes.
From the 270, maybe 100 are "big ones", with 30MB to 100MB.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:19 PM   #60
speakingtohe
Wizard

I am okay with under 1,000 books on my reader. I had over 4Gig on my first Sony (some were audiobooks) and it was nice, but my current Sony seems to get just a little slower with the same amount and it has no speaker. My Kobo Aura HD and mini slowed down a lot and had many glitches with less than 1Gig. One of the reasons I rarely use the HD and didn't replace the mini when it broke although I loved the size.

I do have about 3.5 gig on my Sony currently (works flawlessly) and will probably never read half of them as many are public domain books I read years ago and I have discovered since then I am not a re-reader.

I see nothing wrong with anyone having only one book or 10,0000 books on their reader if that is how they like it. And I am foolish enough to wish that standard reader software and hardware on the popular eink readers worked as well as the older Sonys. But of course I get by just fine as it is.

Helen