Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-31-2013, 05:06 PM   #1
arspr
Dead account. Bye
arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Question Automatic hyphenation in epubs?

Hello I am completely newbie to Kobo world and while playing about this bug (1st post & 2nd post) I've just noticed that within epub renderer (but not in kepub renderer), I'm getting automatic hyphenation.

I'm not mad, am I?

Is it possible to disable this "intelligent" (and, of course, not asked for) "feature" in any way?

Sorry if this issue has been asked before, but I hasn't been able to find anything about it? (Just info about improved hyphenation dictionaries)
arspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:24 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
You might want to wait for better suggestions in case this causes you to have to factory reset, but maybe try making a backup of the hyphenation dictionary then deleting it (back it up in case this doesn't work). Alternatively if you put a "dummy" empty hyphenation dictionary in might also work. There are no stock functions for turning hyphenation on/off.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:42 PM   #3
arspr
Dead account. Bye
arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
You might want to wait for better suggestions in case this causes you to have to factory reset, but maybe try making a backup of the hyphenation dictionary then deleting it (back it up in case this doesn't work). Alternatively if you put a "dummy" empty hyphenation dictionary in might also work. There are no stock functions for turning hyphenation on/off.
Thanks for your reply.

Where is that hyphenation dictionary located? Is it the same as the normal dictionary?

More over. Calibre KoboTouchExtended driver has an option for hyphenating or not but in kepubs. Do you know why kepubs are not hyphenated by default but epubs are?
Old 11-01-2013, 06:10 PM   #4
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:
Originally Posted by arspr View Post
Thanks for your reply.

Where is that hyphenation dictionary located? Is it the same as the normal dictionary?

More over. Calibre KoboTouchExtended driver has an option for hyphenating or not but in kepubs. Do you know why kepubs are not hyphenated by default but epubs are?
I had this problem on the Touch (I think, though it may have been the JetBook before). Auto-hyphenation was driving me mad! I think the answer was to use Calibre to change settings (I can't quite remember how - somewhere in the options there is a switch, as I recall). However, I'm sure the information is out there on the intertubes.

I also seem to recall that converting the books to kepub.epub worked (I think it forces use of the kepub engine), but I've never tried that.
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:48 AM   #5
arspr
Dead account. Bye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakcrew View Post
I also seem to recall that converting the books to kepub.epub worked (I think it forces use of the kepub engine), but I've never tried that.
Yep, that's what I previously tried to explain.

I haven't yet spent a lot of time with the Aura HD but I haven't seen a single hyphen in either official kepubs (I have some English ebooks which I have quickly browsed through) or "kepubized" epubs through KoboTouchExtended Calibre driver (where there's an explicit option to enable hyphens if you prefer).

I hate hyphens but I'm currently reading a Spanish book and because of the bug with dashes (you can go to the Bug Thread through the links in my first post), I still prefer epub renderer... but by a really small margin over kepub when I consider pros and cons of both options:
  • EPUB. Undesired: hyphens and white-space:nowrap bug. On the bright side: there's no header.
  • KEPUB. The extremely horrible dash bug although I have no hyphens and white-space:nowrap works as it should. And it also seems that the long paragraph bug is gone (this one was present in my PRS-650 too, so I suppose it's a fully Adobe issue).
Old 11-02-2013, 10:48 AM   #6
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Quote:
Yep, that's what I previously tried to explain.

I haven't yet spent a lot of time with the Aura HD but I haven't seen a single hyphen in either official kepubs (I have some English ebooks which I have quickly browsed through) or "kepubized" epubs through KoboTouchExtended Calibre driver (where there's an explicit option to enable hyphens if you prefer).

I hate hyphens but I'm currently reading a Spanish book and because of the bug with dashes (you can go to the Bug Thread through the links in my first post), I still prefer epub renderer... but by a really small margin over kepub when I consider pros and cons of both options:
  • EPUB. Undesired: hyphens and white-space:nowrap bug. On the bright side: there's no header.
  • KEPUB. The extremely horrible dash bug although I have no hyphens and white-space:nowrap works as it should. And it also seems that the long paragraph bug is gone (this one was present in my PRS-650 too, so I suppose it's a fully Adobe issue).
I'm trying to remember what I did to stop it. All my books are sideloaded epubs (I don't use any other format), some of which started life as Kindle format, and I don't have any difficulty with unwanted hyphenation now. Unless I was lucky with my semi-random messing with settings, I must have found the answer on the internet (probably these forums), but I can't find it now. I'll keep looking.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:10 AM   #7
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Whilst this isn't what I did, Google found me this https://github.com/jgoguen/calibre-kobo-driver - what seems to be the latest Kobo driver for Calibre. Scrolling some way down the page shows a way to improve the hyphenation dictionary by using the OpenOffice version.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:25 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Have you tried changing the reading to not be justified? I use left as I don't think the automatic renderers get the spacing correct and this reduces the number of split words.

The other thing is that there is a CSS option for hyphenation. But, I don't know the epub reader respects it. I feel like there has been discussion of it here, but I'm not sure.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:22 AM   #9
arspr
Dead account. Bye

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Have you tried changing the reading to not be justified? I use left as I don't think the automatic renderers get the spacing correct and this reduces the number of split words.
Nope, I leave Kobo interface option in off and more over I always edit my epubs adding {text-align:justify} if they happen to be without full justification (I hate left alignment...).

Quote:
The other thing is that there is a CSS option for hyphenation. But, I don't know the epub reader respects it. I feel like there has been discussion of it here, but I'm not sure.
Good hint!!!

I've searched a bit and CSS3 has hyphens property: Here you have an example link to its explanation.

I'll test ASAP if it works within epubs (I'm not currently at home). Epubs are CSS2 but I feel that there won't probably be any trouble adding some kind of CSS3 properties...

More over I'm reading this thread Loading a custom CSS on kepub opening where there's a lot of interesting info. And also about your driver for Calibre and how it can automatically add CSS styles to the uploaded epubs.

I feel I'm on the right track. And more over I also have a feeling that the white-space:nowrap; issue is also going to be fixed when hyphenation is disabled (I mean I feel that epub render is considering dashes as wraping points because hyphenation is active, even with greater priority than the span style setting).

I'll post my conclusions ASAP.

Last edited by arspr; 11-03-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:12 PM   #10
arspr
Dead account. Bye

Got it. Thanks to this thread More Hyphenation After 1.2 Update?

In epub renderer (RMSDK), the hyphenation is controlled through adobe-hyphenate property. So, if you add/modify the CSS inside the ebook with:

Code:
body { adobe-hyphenate: none; }
hyphenation is killed.

Nevertheless, the "bug" with white-span: nowrap is still active. I sadly made a bad guess... (I'll continue investigating but in the Bug Thread).

I want to thank every one of you (davidfor, Peakcrew and robko) for the hints you've given me.

PD. hyphens, -webkit-hyphens, or even -adobe-hyphenate or other similar properties DON'T seem to work in RMSDK. The correct one is just adobe-hyphenate.

PDD. The full options for adobe-hyphenate seem to be: none | explicit | auto (see this post) but the author doesn't explicit what each of them does. I suppose explicit only breaks words on shy;* but I haven't tested.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:45 PM   #11
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:

In epub renderer (RMSDK), the hyphenation is controlled through adobe-hyphenate property. So, if you add/modify the CSS inside the ebook with:

Code:
hyphenation is killed.

Nevertheless, the "bug" with white-span: nowrap is still active. I sadly made a bad guess... (I'll continue investigating but in the Bug Thread).

I want to thank every one of you (davidfor, Peakcrew and robko) for the hints you've given me.

PD. hyphens, -webkit-hyphens, or even -adobe-hyphenate or other similar properties DON'T seem to work in RMSDK. The correct one is just adobe-hyphenate.

PDD. The full options for adobe-hyphenate seem to be: none | explicit | auto (see this post) but the author doesn't explicit what each of them does. I suppose explicit only breaks words on shy;* but I haven't tested.
Thanks for that. It is so good when people explain how they solved things. What you have written is not entirely unfamiliar, so I must have read something about it when I was having the same frustration...
Old 11-04-2013, 11:15 PM   #12
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Does anyone know if I can add "adobe-hyphenate: none;" to the kobo_extra.css file to kill hyphenation? I use kobo_extra.css to kill widows and orphans, and it works like a charm. I'd love to get rid of hyphens too.

[QUOTE=arspr;2676227]

Code:
hyphenation is killed.

QUOTE]
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:25 AM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by icallaci View Post
Does anyone know if I can add "adobe-hyphenate: none;" to the kobo_extra.css file to kill hyphenation? I use kobo_extra.css to kill widows and orphans, and it works like a charm. I'd love to get rid of hyphens too.

Quote:

Code:
hyphenation is killed.
Yes, it should work. And this is exactly the sort of thing that file and driver option were intended for.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:31 AM   #14
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Yes, it should work. And this is exactly the sort of thing that file and driver option were intended for.
Perfect. Thanks.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:15 PM   #15
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Thanks for the info! Now I'll know how to kill it when I want to proofread something.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote