Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 02-11-2013, 10:15 PM   #1
derangedhermit
Addict
derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
HELP! Android tablet for use mainly a reader

Specs:
- 8" display (9" is fine but weight I think is a problem, 7" if otherwise best meets specs)
- low weight - the closer to 10 oz / 280 grams the better - I read holding it it a hand for extended periods; I know the Nook HD+ is much too heavy from trying it out
- around 250 dpi or greater
- IPS or AMOLED panel (something beyond the basic LCD display)
- Current Android OS, or close to, with record of updates
- No need to root (not a Nook HD/HD+ or Amazon anything)
- enough horsepower to make page turns 10x faster than my Nook STG

Perferences, I think:
- touch screen (no physical keyboard)
- battery life doesn't need to be great

Birthday coming up, wife ready if we can find the right device

derangedhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:36 PM   #2
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
You might look at the lepan, it is a 9 inch, there are three versions of it, not sure all are available everywhere, ebay might have older one cheap - check their site for specs etc.

http://www.lepantab.com/
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:42 AM   #3
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Nexus 7 ?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:37 AM   #4
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Still using my Archos 80 G9 as my main ebook/comic reader.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #5
derangedhermit
Addict
derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Follow-up, in case it is helpful to others: I got a 2013 Nexus 7. Width, even with the larger screen, is narrower than the Nook ST by the width of one Nook bezel - makes one-hand operation noticeably easier. Screen is miles ahead than the Nook front-lit version. Weight is noticeably worse. Reading apps are more varied and sophisticated than the Adobe-based Nook reader. Reflection off the display is an issue in some lighting. Works surprisingly well at night (not too bright). On screen size, I'd say the display is "big enough" for single-column reading. Line lengths are 55-65 characters in the font sizes (not tiny, not huge) and margins (small) I am using. It's tall enough that I often scroll some, instead of reading an entire page without moving the text, which surprises me.

Speed of operation is now a non-issue, unlike the Nooks.

Overall, I'm very pleased and think it is, overall, a clear step up in reading environment.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:58 AM   #6
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Right. The only thing I'd appreciate would be a 4:3 ratio instead of 16:10. I heard rumours of a Nexus 8... The Nexus 7 in landscape mode really lacks height to accomplish much of anything, I'm afraid, apart from watching full-screen videos or playing full-screen games.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:47 AM   #7
derangedhermit
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
Right. The only thing I'd appreciate would be a 4:3 ratio instead of 16:10. I heard rumours of a Nexus 8... The Nexus 7 in landscape mode really lacks height to accomplish much of anything, I'm afraid, apart from watching full-screen videos or playing full-screen games.
I'm not sure what aspect ratio I would prefer. I think my limits are width: what I can hold comfortably and operate for a long time in one hand, and height: as tall as is comfortable to read. The N7 is a much better fit on width than the Nook, but I'm surprised to say at this point that the Nook may be tall enough. Going from an N7 to an N8 may be OK if the form factor is the same - it would probably still be narrower than the Nook - but weight is already an issue.

I always read in portrait mode. If you minimize the margins, two-column in landscape is feasible in theory @ abut 40-50 character wide columns, but I haven't gotten Moon+ to produce something satisfactory in practice. An N8 (or N10) would be a better display size for landscape use.

Landscape on the N7 is also nice for a two-panel file manager
Old 11-10-2013, 03:55 AM   #8
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Moon+ in portrait mode on Nexus 7 is great. No complaints there. (Looking forward to Android 4.4 which will make it possible to hide the 3 Android buttons in Moon+, extending the screen real estate; this now only works when flipping pages with the volume button.)

But for things other than e-books, like browsing webpages or reading PDF files, the iPad's aspect ratio of 3:4 really strikes me as more suitable.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:20 AM   #9
derangedhermit
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
Moon+ in portrait mode on Nexus 7 is great. No complaints there. (Looking forward to Android 4.4 which will make it possible to hide the 3 Android buttons in Moon+, extending the screen real estate; this now only works when flipping pages with the volume button.)
I agree. 4.4, if Moon+ uses it, will help landscape even more.

Quote:
But for things other than e-books, like browsing webpages or reading PDF files, the iPad's aspect ratio of 3:4 really strikes me as more suitable.
The Economist is 10.5x8 (inches, sorry), rather close to 4:3. But opened to 16x10.5, it becomes rather close to 3:2. I guess it comes down to what's on the market. The display technology is more important to me than the aspect ratio.

I would not complain if everyone used sqrt(2):1, like the A and B paper series in ISO 216. That, 1.414:1, would be nicely between 3:2 (1.5:1) and 4:3 (1.333:1).