Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 07-13-2012, 06:25 AM   #1
RhialtoFalu
RhialtoFalu will become famous soon enoughRhialtoFalu will become famous soon enoughRhialtoFalu will become famous soon enoughRhialtoFalu will become famous soon enoughRhialtoFalu will become famous soon enoughRhialtoFalu will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-T1
Enormous battery drain [pastlog, pastlog_thread, past_wake_lock, FIXED]

First, the context:

About a week ago something weird happened with my T1. It had been rooted with Porkupan's sets. I have never installed any firmware updates so it was still the 1.0.00.09720 version.
I was just turning a page in CoolReader when I got stuck in a reboot loop. A few seconds the rotating arrows, then a blank screen for a few seconds, and repeating.
After a forced reset with a paperclip, the T1 restarted a bit better, but many programs "accidentally terminated": at least BarTab, Keyboard, ADW Launcher... but the original Sony programs seemed to be still working.
I have been reading books in this situation for a day or 2.

Since this appeared to be more or less a software problem (although it was worrying that this started so suddenly) I thought to do a restore and firmware update. I started out with the official Sony firmware update to 1.0.04 updater, but it didn't want to do anything. (No "updating" appeared on the screen and the firmware version wasn't changed).
So, I tried a SD rescue set of Rupor to go to 1.00.04 that way. That also wasn't a 100% success; it was supposed to take 20 minutes but after a few hours I gave up and I reset. It turned out it had reverted to an apparently clean and unrooted version of 1.00.00.
Ok, so I tried the Sony updater again and this time it worked, giving me a clean 1.00.04.
As I understand it, this update replaces ALL firmware, the kernel, ramdisk, the recovery environment and the Android environment, right? So whatever had been corrupted would have been replaced by now.
After that I installed Rupor's AMR and his pack to enable ADB/Apps2SD.
All this seemed to work fine. I re-installed CoolReader.

However, and now we get to the problem:

the battery lasts barely more than overnight now! Even when the reader is in sleep mode, after a few hours more than overnight, it shuts down. The last thing it does is put up a warning screen that the battery has low power, and that it is disabling the network (which wasn't enabled in the first place).

Would this be a software problem (some software that keeps running and eating power), or some hardware problem after all? If I try to get a warranty repair/replacement it would be annoying if it was some software issue which I could have fixed myself.

Looking at the software angle, here are the first few lines from the output of top in the adb shell.
This "pastlog_thread" seems to be running all the time, and 23% system CPU time seems rather high... the reader was supposed to be idle at the time apart from running top and adb over usb.

Code:
User 0%, System 23%, IOW 0%, IRQ 0%
User 2 + Nice 0 + Sys 74 + Idle 234 + IOW 0 + IRQ 0 + SIRQ 0 = 310

PID CPU% S  #THR     VSS     RSS PCY UID      Name
 1110  13% D     1      0K      0K  fg root     pastlog_thread
  310   8% S     1      0K      0K  fg root     esdhc_wq/0
 2626   3% R     1    948K    388K  fg root     top
 2137   0% S    47 278676K  41256K  fg system   system_server
    5   0% S     1      0K      0K  fg root     khelper
    8   0% S     1      0K      0K  fg root     async/mgr
    9   0% S     1      0K      0K  fg root     pm
   12   0% S     1      0K      0K  fg root     suspend
   76   0% S     1      0K      0K unk root     usb_wakeup thre
Edit: I also tried the battery recalibration by removing the file /data/system/batterystats.bin. It made no difference.

Last edited by RhialtoFalu; 07-22-2012 at 06:36 PM. Reason: update title
RhialtoFalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:12 PM   #2
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kobo Mini, Tolino Epos 2
what about this one: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=181673
uboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:31 AM   #3
RhialtoFalu
RhialtoFalu will become famous soon enoughRhialtoFalu will become famous soon enoughRhialtoFalu will become famous soon enoughRhialtoFalu will become famous soon enoughRhialtoFalu will become famous soon enoughRhialtoFalu will become famous soon enough

uboot: thanks for that lead. I have been poking at my T1 for the last week or so, and it seems that the problem has resolved "itself". Or at least, I have some idea of what might have fixed it but I'm not 100% sure about that. (I am still in the dark about how the problem started in the first place).

Here is the narrative (for the benefit of people having similar problems who might now find this through google):

I poked around with BetterBatteryStats (BBS), both while the reader was connected to USB (and charging), and when disconnected. However BBS had a tendency to stop responding as soon as I disconnected the USB cable, so that wasn't terribly useful. Also it managed to write a log file only twice out of many many attempts.

BBS showed active kernel wake locks for pretty much most of the time: past_wake_lock for over 90%... that's what apparently kept the reader awake. As already shown above, there was also a "pastlog_thread" being relatively active. "past_wake_lock" was not known by google!

Only after several days I thought to look at the linux system log (through the dmesg command). It turned out to contain only lines like this:
Code:
<3>[PASTLOG Err:past_search_reader(459)]Payload size error : offset=5213917 2776
It doesn't show any date stamps so you can't see how often these messages are logged, but I'm guessing there would be one at least every few seconds - maybe even many messages per second.

Searching for a file named pastlog, I found that it is a command, and a device:

Code:
./system/bin:
-rwxr-xr-x root     shell        9824 2011-12-21 07:01 pastlog

./sys/devices/virtual/misc/pastlog:
-rw-r--r-- root     root         4096 2012-07-20 19:43 uevent
-r--r--r-- root     root         4096 2012-07-22 11:52 dev
lrwxrwxrwx root     root              2012-07-22 11:52 subsystem -> ../../../../class/misc
drwxr-xr-x root     root              2012-07-20 19:43 power

./sys/devices/virtual/misc/pastlog/power:
-rw-r--r-- root     root         4096 2012-07-22 11:52 control
-rw-r--r-- root     root         4096 2012-07-22 11:52 wakeup

./sys/dev/char:
lrwxrwxrwx root     root              2012-07-22 11:52 10:46 -> ../../devices/virtual/misc/pastlog

./sys/module:
drwxr-xr-x root     root              2012-07-22 11:52 pastlog

./sys/module/pastlog:
drwxr-xr-x root     root              2012-07-22 11:52 parameters

./sys/module/pastlog/parameters:
-r--r--r-- root     root         4096 2012-07-22 11:52 pastlog_h
-r--r--r-- root     root         4096 2012-07-22 11:52 pastlog_emmc
-r--r--r-- root     root         4096 2012-07-22 11:52 pastlog_state

./dev:
crw-rw-rw- root     root      10,  46 2012-07-20 19:43 pastlog
I tried the "pastlog" command, and was presented with a long log output from Android (apparently this is an Android-level log file, like the syslog is the Linux-level log).

I suspect that this caused the following 2 lines in the syslog and ended the problem:

Code:
<3>[PASTLOG Err:past_read_cache(218)]read error : pos=3177588 size=4096 offset=3176960
<4>[PASTLOG Info:past_search_reader(464)]cannot read -> log buffer reset

Last edited by RhialtoFalu; 07-22-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:42 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You really should install the latest firmware from Sony as Sony has fixed some serious bugs that the earlier firmware (like the one you have) have. These bugs have to do with the touch. You can expect problems when using a know very buggy firmware.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:34 PM   #5
RhialtoFalu

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You really should install the latest firmware from Sony as Sony has fixed some serious bugs that the earlier firmware (like the one you have) have. These bugs have to do with the touch. You can expect problems when using a know very buggy firmware.
I did install 1.00.04, as I explained in the original post. And I hardly had any of the reported problems with locking up the touch screen anyway.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:49 PM   #6
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

i never had issues with the logging system but I guess your file system might be corrupted. this may occur on improper shutdown, i.e. reset or device crash.

I would try a statically linked e2fsck in recovery console, just in case. you'll find a link in this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=166723
Old 07-27-2012, 08:03 AM   #7
RhialtoFalu

Quote:
Originally Posted by uboot View Post
I would try a statically linked e2fsck in recovery console, just in case. you'll find a link in this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=166723
That is a good idea. I do see a message in the syslog about mmcblk2p10 being unchecked when mounted. From post #25 I got the proper statically linked version, and it checked the partition. Fortunately it had no complaints.

I wonder if anything changed between firmware 1.00.00 and 1.00.04, since I vaguely seem to recall that I was able to run a dynamically linked e2fsck before (with 1.00.00), the one linked from post #1. (But maybe I remember wrong)
Old 07-30-2012, 06:27 AM   #8
uboot
Evangelist

A dynamical linked e2fsck must match the ext2 lib on the device. but I can't remember that I was ever able to run a non-static e2fsck...
Old 08-10-2012, 09:11 PM   #9
altruizine
Senior Altruist
altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox C67ML, Onyx Boox Note Pro
I have run into the exact same problem as described in the original posting. But unlike RhialtoFalu, I cannot seem to resolve it.

Flushing the log doesn't seem to work for me. Neither running "logcat" nor the "pastlog" command work: Instead, both commands hang hard and and cannot be killed; I have to close the terminal after running them. :-(

Maybe it's possible to clear out the log manually... Any idea where it is kept? The debug messages appear in a source code file linux-2.6.35.3/drivers/staging/pastlog/mmc_past.c, so it's perhaps a static flash partition?
altruizine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:05 PM   #10
altruizine
Senior Altruist
altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox C67ML, Onyx Boox Note Pro
The fix

OK, apparently I managed to fix this.

My guess was right, the pastlog (whatever it is; perhaps a copy of the logcat output made persistent across boots?) is saved to a hidden area on the internal flash storage. I was able to find the internal partition table (“raw data table”) on the flash device by looking for its magic value (taken from the kernel source code distributed by Sony), and to find the pastlog area in this table by looking for the “LOG” label (also found in the source code). The referenced pastlog area did indeed contain the pastlog header (replicated two times) with the right magic values.

I fixed the problem by resetting the pastlog headers on disk with all zeros and then rebooting:
Code:
cd /dev/block/ 
dd if=mmcblk2 bs=1 skip=19922944 count=8192 | od -t x4 -t c
Before proceeding, please make sure you are looking at the pastlog header: The magic value 0x4c4b5045 (ASCII “EPKL”) should appear twice in the output.

Now let's clean out the headers and reboot:
Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=mmcblk2 bs=1 seek=19922944 count=8192 
reboot
(One symptom of the pastlog problem is that reboots often hang. I had to unplug the USB cable and hit the power button once for it to work.)
altruizine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:37 PM   #11
RhialtoFalu

I'm adding to this thread because of a variation on the battery drain issue. In this case, I suddenly found that the battery would be empty after about 3 days or so. "Have you tried turning it off an on again?" Yes, and it made no difference.

When I finally looked with adb, and used the pastlog command from the shell, I found that the pastlog was full of messages like this, one per about 10 seconds:

log_radio opening data channel device - /dev/ttyUSB0. retrying...

Some googling taught me that this is from the "RIL", radio interface library. This url tells about that: http://afewe.wordpress.com/android-a...il-in-android/ .

I was thinking about drastic things like killing the RIL daemon, but it turned out that the poor thing was probably confused about whether the WiFi (or phone?!) was on or not: it was trying to open the device to the modem emulation.

Simply turning the WiFi on and off again made problem disappear.

Let's hope it stays unconfused for a while, since I don't know how it got into that state.