Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 08-28-2012, 09:29 PM   #1
Quiss
Spits infinitives
Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony
Smashwords preview vs purchase

Hi

I recently published to Smashwords, among a few others. Smashwords has yet to send my book to anyone but iBooks but they also have a certain readership on the site itself.

What I like about Smashwords is that they show how many people viewed the preview as well as those who purchased.

After about a week there, I show 26 previews viewed and only one sold.

Does anyone know what the ratio would be of the number of people checking out previews to buyers?
I'm starting to think my preview REALLY sucks and that's not very encouraging.

Would be nice if Amazon counted preview lookers, too.
Quiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:22 AM   #2
bigjantailor
Defender of Consciousness
bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I have sold 27 book on smashwords (*most given away) and 48 previews, in threeish months. So about 55% sales* to samples. I'm certian at least 7 of the people read the book. And I'm still sure it's the best book ever!

It will take some day to get the people from the preview to the sale.

I'm begining to learn the selling is the biggest part of this gig. But I'm also learning I love writing more for the art than the adulation.

Have fun, Jan
bigjantailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:45 AM   #3
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Just looked at mine... they are about 4:1. Not sure if that is good/bad though.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:07 PM   #4
Quiss
Spits infinitives
Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Just looked at mine... they are about 4:1. Not sure if that is good/bad though.
Probably better than 26:1
Old 08-29-2012, 01:37 PM   #5
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiss View Post
Probably better than 26:1
Yeah, but you have not given it enough time... takes time for rations like this to normalize because people have to read the preview (takes time) add it to their TBR list, then get to it on their TBR list.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:53 PM   #6
Quiss
Spits infinitives

Quote:
Yeah, but you have not given it enough time... takes time for rations like this to normalize because people have to read the preview (takes time) add it to their TBR list, then get to it on their TBR list.
Thank you (really, THANK you).
I just started this whole indie-thing and it's very hard not to get discouraged. Doing a LOT of research and as much marketing as I can, but Kindle sales are sluggish, Smashword STILL hasn't sent the book to B&N, iBook hasn't replied yet, Kobo just posted it yesterday and their search engine pretty much assures that no one can find anything there. All of this should tell me that it's too soon to start worrying, but it's hard.

I've had 79 views on Best Indie Books, I guess because it's still on their front page, but I have no idea what their click-through ratio is.

So I appreciate your words
Old 08-29-2012, 02:01 PM   #7
VydorScope
Wizard

The biggest lesson I had to learn (I am working on my forth self-pub novel) is that EVERYTHING in this industry goes slowly. For ADHD types like me it is EXTREMELY frustrating.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:53 AM   #8
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
My free story has gotten steady attention. No sales, obviously, but 200 downloads and it's in 11 "libraries" at Smashwords. No feedback from any other sites, but I wasn't expecting any from a free story.

My $.99 story has gotten one sale (but a nice review!). I'm not too worried. It's a short story, and I suppose people have to think before spending on a quick read. I'm going with the theory that the ball will start rolling when I have a critical mass of work available. I hope.

Both of my stories appeared at Itunes in about 2 weeks after getting into the Premium Catalog, and were at Barnes & Noble within about 10 days of showing up on Itunes.

Good luck, BTW!

Last edited by cromag; 08-31-2012 at 06:03 AM.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:43 PM   #9
Lazybones
Groupie
Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Give it time. Once your work gets out to the other distributors, sales will increase. I've gotten 100x my Smashwords sales at B&N, Kobo, and Apple.

To answer your original question, my sales to previews ratio is about 10:1 for most of my books, but I have one that has 60 previews and 2 sales, so I've got you beat.
Lazybones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:44 PM   #10
Lazybones
Groupie
Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
The biggest lesson I had to learn (I am working on my forth self-pub novel) is that EVERYTHING in this industry goes slowly. For ADHD types like me it is EXTREMELY frustrating.
Yeah, I had to limit myself to checking my accounts at Smashwords and Amazon to once a week only. Some of my Smashwords affiliate reports are 3 months behind.
Lazybones is offline   Reply With Quote