Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-24-2012, 12:16 PM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
iPod touch 5th Gen Rumors

Rumors are starting to pop for the 5th gen iPod touch. It's been nearly two years since Apple refreshed the line. There was no upgrade last year and the 4th gen carried on into its second year as the latest model.

iPod touch Release History
  • Sep 07 -- 1st Gen
  • Sep 08 -- 2nd Gen
  • Sep 09 -- 3rd Gen
  • Sep 10 -- 4th Gen
  • Sep 11 -- 4th Gen (no new release)
  • Sep 12 -- 5th Gen ???
Talk has the new iPod touch sporting a larger 4" display and the same size and shape as the iPhone 5. The CPU is supposed to be upgraded from the A4 to the A5 (same as iPhone 4S).

What features would you like to see added? For me, the two most important features I require in a traveling PMP are a card slot and GPS; neither of which will ever see the light of day in an iPod. So, I really don't care what they add.

Currently I have a Galaxy Player 4 for traveling and an iPod touch 4 for home audio use. The iPt4 is a great audio device and serves its role well. I doubt I'll upgrade.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:37 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Rumors are starting to pop for the 5th gen iPod touch. It's been nearly two years since Apple refreshed the line. There was no upgrade last year and the 4th gen carried on into its second year as the latest model.

iPod touch Release History
  • Sep 07 -- 1st Gen
  • Sep 08 -- 2nd Gen
  • Sep 09 -- 3rd Gen
  • Sep 10 -- 4th Gen
  • Sep 11 -- 4th Gen (no new release)
  • Sep 12 -- 5th Gen ???
Talk has the new iPod touch sporting a larger 4" display and the same size and shape as the iPhone 5. The CPU is supposed to be upgraded from the A4 to the A5 (same as iPhone 4S).

What features would you like to see added? For me, the two most important features I require in a traveling PMP are a card slot and GPS; neither of which will ever see the light of day in an iPod. So, I really don't care what they add.

Currently I have a Galaxy Player 4 for traveling and an iPod touch 4 for home audio use. The iPt4 is a great audio device and serves its role well. I doubt I'll upgrade.
Actually I think they introduced the White model last year, but that was all. No hardware update.

I would like to see at least a 4" screen, preferably larger. Most important though is that they need a damn battery that won't deplete in 3 hours. The battery should last 6 to 8 hours. Every darn iPod touch I've owned (Gen 1, 2.5, 4) have had lousy batteries! I'm really sick and tired of Apple's dumba$$ design guru sacrificing battery capacity for a thin look. The touch is way too thin to comfortably hold and operate with medium to large sized hands. A bit of thickness would be a welcomed addition.

Last edited by jswinden; 07-24-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:52 PM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Actually I think they introduced the White model last year, but that was all. No hardware update.

I would like to see at least a 4" screen, preferably larger. Most important though is that they need a damn battery that won't deplete in 3 hours. The battery should last 6 to 8 hours. Every darn iPod touch I've owned (Gen 1, 2.5, 4) have had lousy batteries! I'm really sick and tired of Apple's dumba$$ design guru sacrificing battery capacity for a thin look. The touch is way too thin to comfortably hold and operate with medium to large sized hands. A bit of thickness would be a welcomed addition.
They did add white to the lineup last year. I was so underwhelmed.

I hate the Twiggy look too. I believe it was one of the reasons an AF 3MP cam wasn't added. The module was too thick.

The battery life is weak; but since I always have my iPt4 docked, it's a non-issue for me. Still, a larger battery is in order for those who use it as a portable device.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:21 PM   #4
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
I've always felt that an IPT refresh was much more likely than a mini iPad.
I think we'll see a thicker IPT with a bigger battery and a better camera. They wont be THAT much bigger or better, though. The key will be that the IPT's cheapest model must come in at $199 or below.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:36 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

Yes they definitely need to keep the price down to $199, especially since the Fire and the new Nexus 7 tablets are going for that price. I know they are designed for a different customer base, but it would be ridiculous to pay more for a 4" iPt5 than a 7" tablet. If they make the iPt5 more like the iPhone 4s with a thicker case and thus bigger battery, then I will be happy. I've never understood the mentality of designing iPod touches and iPads so that they feel like a wet bar of soap. From a practical perspective it is a sure fire way to have them squirt out of your hand and get broken. True most people probably use a case/cover, but still form should never be the main focus of a design for a device which is hand held. At the very least they should include a non-slip surface on the back side. I would like to hold my iPad 3 sans case, but that thing is so slippery that I've never felt comfortable doing that!

Last edited by jswinden; 07-24-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:49 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
They did add white to the lineup last year. I was so underwhelmed.

I hate the Twiggy look too. I believe it was one of the reasons an AF 3MP cam wasn't added. The module was too thick.

The battery life is weak; but since I always have my iPt4 docked, it's a non-issue for me. Still, a larger battery is in order for those who use it as a portable device.
Yes it is not a big issue when near an AC outlet. I do use my iPt4 outdoors for tracking satellites. I like to watch and photograph satellites when they pass overhead at night time. The only decent apps are iOS ones. Occasionally I'm out at a park for more than 3 hours and the battery will get too depleted. I had one of the recalled Mobic (sp?) cases which had another battery and provided a lot more thickness. However that case never performed well as far as the battery went, but it sure felt nice in my hand! It cost about $60 I think, so it was a huge disappointment. Hopefully if they use the same form factor for the iPt5 as the iPhone5 then more cases will be available. But Apple and a lot of other companies are notorious for making each new model different enough to cause older cases to no longer fit. That way they get us to buy accessories as well as a new device!

Last edited by jswinden; 07-24-2012 at 01:51 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:09 PM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Yes it is not a big issue when near an AC outlet. I do use my iPt4 outdoors for tracking satellites. I like to watch and photograph satellites when they pass overhead at night time. The only decent apps are iOS ones. Occasionally I'm out at a park for more than 3 hours and the battery will get too depleted. I had one of the recalled Mobic (sp?) cases which had another battery and provided a lot more thickness. However that case never performed well as far as the battery went, but it sure felt nice in my hand! It cost about $60 I think, so it was a huge disappointment. Hopefully if they use the same form factor for the iPt5 as the iPhone5 then more cases will be available. But Apple and a lot of other companies are notorious for making each new model different enough to cause older cases to no longer fit. That way they get us to buy accessories as well as a new device!
How do you track them?
Old 07-24-2012, 03:15 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
How do you track them?
There are databases which are maintained by various groups and agencies. These databases are updated very frequently. The databases contain the Keplerian elements data for various satellites. Keplerian elements are the inputs to a standard mathematical model of spacecraft orbits. As long as the data is current, an app can accurately track the orbits of a satellite. I use apps (listed below) which allow me to enter my location and then they display when specified satellites will be visible at my location, how bright they will appear in the sky, and some even show me where to look in the sky at any moment during the orbital pass to see the satellite. Pretty cool stuff.
  • GoSatWatch (this is my favorite)
  • Satellite Flybys (very simple but good for long range planning)
  • Satellite Watcher (really more for iPad with big screen, so so)

There are many more which I haven't tried yet.

I also use the PC apps Orbitron (freeware) and Starry Night (paid). With Starry Night I can simulate what the track will be and overlay the simulated night sky view with various camera lens FOVs (field of views). In this manner I can pre-plan which lens I want to use, where to point it in the night sky, and when to set the camera to start taking a series of photos or video. I use the iOS apps on my iPt4 in the field.

Last edited by jswinden; 07-24-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:13 PM   #9
LiquidGear
Zealot
LiquidGear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LiquidGear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LiquidGear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LiquidGear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LiquidGear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LiquidGear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LiquidGear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LiquidGear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LiquidGear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LiquidGear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LiquidGear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
i just wish that the battery would last longer... my itouch batt only last for 2 hours, i guess or maybe 2.5 when im using it (for gaming and browsing)...
LiquidGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:00 AM   #10
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Most important though is that they need a damn battery that won't deplete in 3 hours. The battery should last 6 to 8 hours.
You must be using the screen constantly?
For 'headless' operations like playing music and using the Nike+ app, I get much much more time from my 3rd gen than that, easily into the 6-8 hour range.
murraypaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:41 AM   #11
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
I'd like to see NFC capabilities on the iPod.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:39 AM   #12
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
You must be using the screen constantly?
For 'headless' operations like playing music and using the Nike+ app, I get much much more time from my 3rd gen than that, easily into the 6-8 hour range.
No screen usage equals longer battery charge. But if you turn on the LCD, which after all is what makes the iPt4 worth having, then the time goes down exponentially. I see that @LiquidGear has the same issue of short battery charge, as do lots of people judging from the huge numbers of complaints over the past two years. After all that Retina display requires a lot of energy, so they need to add a larger capacity battery.

And for the record, my iPad 3 battery runs down a heck of lot faster than the 6 to 8 hours advertised. I haven't run it down all the way to 20% yet, but it easily depletes to 50% in 2 hous or less when reading with the screen brightness at about 30% (somewhat dim).
Old 07-25-2012, 11:52 AM   #13
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
What features would you like to see added?
For me, a decent rear camera with auto-focus. Would also like longer battery life. With similar usage as my iPhone 4 (ebook reading), the iPT4 barely lasts a few hours while the iPhone lasts for a better part of the day. I dislike how Apple sacrificed battery life in order to make the iPT4 so thin. I had to get a case for it because without one, the iPT4 kept slipping from my hand.

It's a good thing I only got the iPT4 to supplement the iPhone (basically night usage when the iPhone is charging).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:19 PM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
For me, a decent rear camera with auto-focus. Would also like longer battery life. With similar usage as my iPhone 4 (ebook reading), the iPT4 barely lasts a few hours while the iPhone lasts for a better part of the day. I dislike how Apple sacrificed battery life in order to make the iPT4 so thin. I had to get a case for it because without one, the iPT4 kept slipping from my hand.
Battery Sizes
  • iPhone 4S -- 1432 mAH
  • iPhone 4 -- 1420 mAH
  • iPhone 3GS -- 1219 mAH
  • ------------------------------
  • iPod touch 4 -- 930 mAH
  • iPod touch 3 -- 789 mAH
  • iPod touch 2 -- 739 mAH
The battery in your iPhone 4 is 53% larger than the one in your iPod touch 4. You can thank Jobs and his obsession with the world of thin. Now that he's out of the picture, hopefully the iPod touch will bulk up to a normal size.

What gets me is why they waste time and money designing two different bodies. Why not use the phone body and stuff iPod parts in it?
Old 07-25-2012, 01:01 PM   #15
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
The word is that the iPod Touch didn't have auto focus because it was too thin. A better battery (thicker) might give it the room the auto focus mechanism needs.

Still with the WiFi Galaxy Players 4" and 5" and another (??4.2 or 3.6??) which includes GPS and all cost less than $200 there is a lot of pressure on Apple. The problem with the Galaxy's is 800 pixel width compared to about 950 pixel width on the iPod. Since the screen on the iPod is smaller, the image is sharper.

I have said this before. I hope Samsung spins off the Note into something like a Note Touch just leaving out the cellular part and maybe cutting some specs to get to $250. That is a good price for Kings and monkeys.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote