Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-18-2014, 06:36 PM   #106
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I got 336 out of 343 using Nook for PC though a couple never had downloaded and a few I didn't bother with as they were just sample chapters rather than the whole books.
I got 29 out of 990 or so
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:39 PM   #107
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
It worked for me. I used my office computer at my store. It automatically downloaded very book in my Nook account.
Apache
Ah. What I think mine did, was download everything *since my last download from nook for PC*. Since that was in July of last year, and the bulk of my nook purchases were 2009-2011, I guess I'm stuck downloading them individually.
Advert
Old 09-18-2014, 06:41 PM   #108
Joykins
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
How is this different from Amazon? I have to download my Amazon books to Kindle For PC and then load them into Calibre and convert them to epub.
Apache
You can download to desktop from Amazon, for sideloading.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:42 PM   #109
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I wonder if this is related to the new ebook sharing methods announced by Amazon en Apple (IOS8).
Are the publishers perhaps trying to end (or at least make more difficult) other ways of sharing ebooks than these new (publisher sanctioned?) methods?
Or is disabling these downloads perhaps a publisher requirement if B&N also wants to offer such a way to share ebooks?
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:43 PM   #110
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
I got 29 out of 990 or so
If you have archived books, you will have to unarchive them first before the Nook for PC app can download them.
Advert
Old 09-18-2014, 06:49 PM   #111
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfeuln View Post
Nook for Mac worked for me on Mavericks 10.9.5 (the very latest version, I'd updated earlier today).
Thanks. I'll try updating to 10.9.5 and see if that makes it work (didn't on 10.9.4 for me, but hopefully the promised "compatibility improvements" will take care of that).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
Ah. What I think mine did, was download everything *since my last download from nook for PC*. Since that was in July of last year, and the bulk of my nook purchases were 2009-2011, I guess I'm stuck downloading them individually.
Maybe you could back up your currently acquired ones and then reinstall and try again (unless that's what you already did)? Or try hitting the sync button a couple of times and see if that auto-magically fills in the gaps?

My fresh NOOK for PC install is still downloading, at 1026 of 3615 items now.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:49 PM   #112
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Just to reconfirm, if you have the Nook app for Android the book can be downloaded to your tablet/phone. You can then retrieve it via USB cable, a micro-SD card, etc.

It's a hassle, but it can be done.
I think this is the fastest method. I have like 700 books and all you do is keep hitting the download button on each cover.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:50 PM   #113
Joykins
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
If you have archived books, you will have to unarchive them first before the Nook for PC app can download them.
You'd think so, but I tried it today and I could download them without unarchiving.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:52 PM   #114
Joykins
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Maybe you could back up your currently acquired ones and then reinstall and try again (unless that's what you already did)? Or try hitting the sync button a couple of times and see if that auto-magically fills in the gaps?

My fresh NOOK for PC install is still downloading, at 1026 of 3615 items now.
I didn't try a reinstall but I've done all the archived ones and am pacing pretty well through the other ones. I find if I'm quick I can get them in batches of 4.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:54 PM   #115
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
I thought you could get a fresh download from Nook for PC by renaming the book folder and synching but that didn't work. I thought I had done that before.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:57 PM   #116
geertm
Guru

Quote:
I wonder if this is related to the new ebook sharing methods announced by Amazon en Apple (IOS8).
Are the publishers perhaps trying to end (or at least make more difficult) other ways of sharing ebooks than these new (publisher sanctioned?) methods?
Or is disabling these downloads perhaps a publisher requirement if B&N also wants to offer such a way to share ebooks?
Might this even be related to HarperCollins going to use a digital watermark as an extra layer of DRM? Is this the start of an offensive by the publishers to end ebook piracy? Have the publishers somehow become convinced that they can win such an offensive?
Read some info in the comments on the Dear Author website that some download buttons have also been removed at Kobo. So this seems to be something not limited to B&N.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:01 PM   #117
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
That's not true. There's a link on the left side menu to the archived stuff, and you can download it from there.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:01 PM   #118
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Might this even be related to HarperCollins going to use a digital watermark as an extra layer of DRM? Is this the start of an offensive by the publishers to end ebook piracy? Have the publishers somehow become convinced that they can win such an offensive?
Read some info in the comments on the Dear Author website that some download buttons have also been removed at Kobo. So this seems to be something not limited to B&N.
Well, except that when it comes to kobo, things disappear, change, come back and are generally chaotic for no good reason. That seems to be their identity.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:03 PM   #119
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
In what way? I can (and have) downloaded all of my books bought from Amazon with no problem at all. I know that there are some books on the Kobo store that can't be downloaded, but most of them can be.

Shari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Not exactly, since B&N haven't been updating their computer apps. If you read the thread you'll find that Nook for Mac doesn't work with Mavericks for instance. Also anyone with a Kindle device can download a backup directly to their computer, no need for a program.

Since I cannot download a backup from Nook, I will not be buying anything else from them. Fortunately I have already downloaded everything, including two books I bought last week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
I'd say B&N is actually worse for doing this the way they did. Kobo is a close second for their kepub nonsense. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the desktop apps for both disappear soon - they're already hiding Nook for PC, you have to search for it. The "reading apps" page only has mobile devices + the windows store app. Kobo has done the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I download kindle books, but I do own a kindle - I think that's required to do a straight download and always had been. But Amazon still maintains Kindle for PC and Nook for PC isn't maintained and is not available from B&N for download. Amazon isn't stupid enough to do something like this. Does B&N honestly wonder why the Nook business isn't doing well?
Thanks for your comments. I don't own a Kindle, Nook, Kobo or tablet. My only option is to side load from a PC to my PRS 650. B&N was the last major retailer that had direct downloads without a 3rd program. I downloaded directly into Calibre unto my 650.

Now I have to use another program. Kindle for PC is problematic when they update or discontinue a particular version. Nook for PC's future is uncertain and Kobo has kepubs. ADE is OK although can be fussy with registrations.

Since you still can side load from the B&N Android app, removing the download link makes little sense.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:07 PM   #120
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
I went through all 800 books at Kobo they all have downloads buttons.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote