Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 06-12-2014, 02:25 PM   #1
Book Reader
Book Reader began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Metadata on Device(s)

Is it possible to Edit metadata on the attached device(s)?

When I switch to a Device displaying its contents list, the Edit metadata is inactive (grayed out), and will not permit any change(s) to the books info on the Device.
Book Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:09 PM   #2
aleyx
Addict
aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Cybook Diva
Not as I know of. At least not if your device itself doesn't allow it.

Note that allowing this sort of thing would, in my (admittedly personal) view, be a Bad Thing: how would you know which metadata version would hold true? Especially after a few weeks (or even days), and you've forgotten even why you made the changes. Better to do all the work in Calibre, then update your device if necessary. This is, after all, what Calibre is for.
aleyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2014, 04:05 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The device view is a simple summary.
Each device has a unique way of (not ) handling metadata.
The tick shows that the record has been matched to the Library, but as far as I know, that is as far as it goes.

Kovid,would it be possible to have a right click: jump to this book in Library view or Library Metadata edit the book, with out the view switch-jump?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:54 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It's certainly possible to have a context menu action to jump to the matching book from the device list to the library view, but it will have to wait until I am a little less busy.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:08 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It's certainly possible to have a context menu action to jump to the matching book from the device list to the library view, but it will have to wait until I am a little less busy.

No rush. I was just tossing ideas out to see if it sank or flew.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2014, 11:43 AM   #6
Book Reader
Book Reader began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Editing the Device's metadata

Thank you all the information.

1) I perhaps described my problem poorly but of course I wanted to edit metadata using Calibre. Being pretty much ignorant of the file format, and metadata structure, I as a Calibre user would like to edit only some main properties. Title, Author, Title sort, Author sort, and possible adding (changing) a book Cover. At times error(s) are made during the initial entry of metadata (in the Calibre library), which then are noticed only after the book was Sent to the device. As far as knowing what metadata changes (versions) are true (!?)? The ones I want, and if I don't like them I would edit them to my preference until I'm content.

2) Allowing the editing the metadata is already implemented, but only of books in the Calibre library (Title list). To edit also the metadata of books in the Device list, the existing Edit metadata icon (if it would be active) would be perfect. Additional right-click context menu, while it may be preferred by some, wouldn't be necessary.

3)I think that the fact that "Each device has a unique way of (not ) handling metadata." is the answer to my question. My device is a Kindle DX (3G, 9.6") and it may store/handle metadata very differently from other devices.

In retrospect I've realized that not much would be gained by being able to edit the metadata directly in the device(s), since (to ensure that the metadata is synchronized) any change made on the device should also be reflected in the Calibre library. So the changes might as well be made in the Calibre library, then the revised book sent to the device again.

If I may ask one other question though. Being a novice to eBooks, what is the recommended procedure to edit metadata of books downloaded (purchased) from eBook sellers. If I buy an eBook from Amazon I can download it directly into my Kindle DX, (the method recommended by Amazon), without involving Calibre at all. But, as discussed above, since we can't edit the device's metadata how should I go about changing metadata for those books? Import it into Calibre, make the changes and send it back to the device? Or...? Thanks.

Regards
Book Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:31 AM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I download all books to my Kindle Touch, back them up (including the Real Page Numbers and Public Highlights and stuff) then import into calibre. I manually add the original filename to a custom column in calibre, then use that as the save template for the Kindle driver.

Then I edit metadata 'til I like it, and send the book from calibre to my Kindle. The previous steps allow the book to overwrite the old copy, rather than adding a new copy which doesn't match the sidecar files.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote