Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-13-2009, 12:14 PM   #1
objectcentral
objectcentral began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Managing Converted Formats

Now that Calibre supports lrf, epub and has plugin support for others like lit, there needs to be a way to easily delete various converted versions from the Calibre library.

One can use the os file manager to delete from the Calibre directory, but what does this do to the database? But at least on the Mac version, I can't find a way to do this from within the software.

When you send to the device, which format is used? For example, I have both epub and lrf versions - which would be sent to a Sony 505? Seem like the lif, but would like control over that.

Seems like this is something that needs to be addressed if more output formats are supported.

I am a software developer with tons of UI experience, and may get more involved in coding, but for now just have the resources to make UI comments (and donate!).
objectcentral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:38 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by objectcentral View Post
One can use the os file manager to delete from the Calibre directory, but what does this do to the database? But at least on the Mac version, I can't find a way to do this from within the software.
The metadata editor allows you to add/remove various formats.

Quote:
When you send to the device, which format is used? For example, I have both epub and lrf versions - which would be sent to a Sony 505? Seem like the lif, but would like control over that.
You can set for the Sony weather it sends LRF or ePub by setting the "OUTPUT" setting... it is just to the right above the Search/Config buttons. I'm not sure what format gets sent to the CyBook. (This was just recently added.)

Quote:
Seems like this is something that needs to be addressed if more output formats are supported.
Yep, I think the "output" setting will have to become device type specific. But, I'll let Kovid comment on that.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2009, 12:38 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can delete formats using either the edit metadata or the bulk metadata edit dialogs. If you dont want LRF to be sent to your device, in the search box put in

format:lrf and format:epub

select all books, use the bulk metadata dialog to remove the LRF
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:12 AM   #4
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Diggin up an old thread. If I want mobi files to be sent to a new device, but have other format files from an old kindle in the same library, as long as I have "prefered output format" selected to Mobi, then that will be sent to the new kindle and not AZW files?
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:25 AM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Not necessarily.

There is a list of formats that the kindle supports in the Kindle Device Driver under Preferences->Plugins->Device Interface Plugins that is arranged in priority order, and if the format is on the list then it could be sent. If you have both mobi and azw enabled then whichever believe is higher up the list and would thus be sent in preference.

I believe that by default azw has the higher priority so you would want to change this and move mobi up above azw. However if there is no mobi format file then a lower priority format could be sent, so you should disable any formats you do not want sent.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2010, 09:42 AM   #6
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I thnk ythere is a send specific format to device selection in the send to device menu?
Reader is not plugged in so not 100% sure
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
multiple conversion