Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-20-2010, 10:59 AM   #1
hjongste
hjongste began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-300
Sony battery

Maybe good to summarise what has been said about the Sony battery in this and many other forums.

The Sony reader uses a small 3.7V Li-ion battery pack that can be charged with a 5 volt charger through the mini USB plug (bottom left) or via the barrel plug (bottom right)

Charging via the mini USB plug can only be done with a PC that has recognised the charger. External USB chargers don't work and will in fact deplete the battery further i.s.o. charge. If the PC goes on stand-by, charging is interrupted.

Charging via the barrel plug can only be done using an external charger. You can get one expensively as a Sony accessory or you can buy a charger for the PSP. The pocket PlayStation charger uses the same plug and charge voltage/current to charge the reader. Prices vary, but are well below the official Sony one. Charging through an external charger goes faster and according to some sources also deeper (i.e. higher charge)

Charging through a computer takes a lot longer and according to Sony's own documentation it can take 40 minutes before there is enough charge in the reader for the screen to refresh. So wait before you think that your reader has bricked up.

I have no experience yet about the 7000 page turns on a charge.
hjongste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:30 AM   #2
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Hi hjongste,

When we travel we use the object in the picture, we got it for 9 euros.

Last edited by beppe; 03-21-2010 at 05:19 PM.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:37 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What picture?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:37 AM   #4
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Not a bad summary.

There is enough evidence to say conclusively that Sony's 7K page turn rating is based on flipping pages constantly, like a machine. The background processes of the reader (not the E-ink screen) consume power and the combination is good for a limited combination of time and flips.

For example, if you're a fast reader and read for a whole day (as I did on an international flight) you will get thousands of page flips from one charge. But if you read twenty five pages a day you'll still find your charge depleted in a few weeks and a few hundred pages.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:46 AM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What picture?
Perhaps it's time for that eye Dr appointment?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 03:16 PM   #6
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Perhaps it's time for that eye Dr appointment?

BOb
I don't see a picture, either? I feel like I'm the butt of some kind of "in" joke.
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 03:23 PM   #7
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziegl027 View Post
I don't see a picture, either? I feel like I'm the butt of some kind of "in" joke.
I edited the post with a smaller picture
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:25 PM   #8
perost
Enthusiast
perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Good summary, hopefully this will clear up some confusion about the battery. I'd like to add some comments though.

First of all, with the PRS-900 you get an external charger included. I believe that is the only Sony Reader that includes a charger though (I guess you were talking about a specific reader, since not all of Sonys readers are rated for ~7k page turns).

And as Penforhire says, the page turns number only tells you how many page turns you get if you continuously flip pages until the battery is drained. This is to my knowledge true about all e-readers that specify page turns though, and not only the Sonys. It's a pretty stupid way of measuring battery time, but is perhaps usable as a relative measurement when comparing readers.
perost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 04:59 AM   #9
palo
Enthusiast
palo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony T2
I still don't see a picture...it must be really small!

p
palo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:49 AM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
I edited the post with a smaller picture
Now you're just being cruel to those folks who can't see the picture.

Of course no one can see the picture.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 06:42 AM   #11
roger the rabbit
Addict
roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T3, 650 Black, 505, Kobo Glo HD Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Now you're just being cruel to those folks who can't see the picture.

Of course no one can see the picture.

Naw!! everybody is looking at *the big picture* here
roger the rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:33 AM   #12
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook 302, Pocketbook 912, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by palo View Post
I still don't see a picture...it must be really small!

p
Does 1 pixel by 1 pixel count as small?
JimMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:36 PM   #13
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Ok, I didn't want to give my 2 cent here, but after reading all the "what picture" replies, I went to hjiongste's profile to see if he has uploaded pictures to an album. There weren't any.

So, pleeeeeeease, give us the picture
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 01:04 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The picture is at the right side of the post. Perhaps you need to scroll right to see it?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 02:36 PM   #15
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The picture is at the right side of the post. Perhaps you need to scroll right to see it?
Oh! That picture!
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote