Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-13-2011, 11:39 PM   #1
Mae.flood
Mae.flood began at the beginning.

Device: none
Red face I put this question out there, sorry if it's been answered, I couldn't find it...

I'm from Canada, and I've been wanting to purchase the N.C since xmas, however, I've heard everything from "you cant really get much out of it, if you're not from Canada.", (meaning the automatic downloads on the magazines from the B&N website), or, "absolutely get it and just use kobo to get your books", then as I was just about to buy it, I was told "you cant really use the NookColour unless you have an American credit card with an American mailing address".

So here I am, Nook-less because I'm just not sure what to do. So, I guess my question is those of you Canadians that MAY own a N.C, what did you do with it? Besides using the Wi-Fi feature, were you able to purchase books and download from the B&N website or Kobo?

Thanks in advance for the answers and your time.
Mae.flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:44 AM   #2
deborahjeanne
Zealot
deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook Color. Kobo Touch (died 2014). Kobo Glo.
You can absolutely buy from the nookstore. You have to create an account, and the account has to have a US address. The address does NOT have to be the address on your credit card. Some people just use the address of the Barnes and Noble they get the NC from.

Personally I am still buying most of my books from kobo because the prices are better (with the save25kobo code). Bit more of a hassle to put them on the nook, but I'm living with it so far.
deborahjeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:25 PM   #3
Mae.flood
Mae.flood began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for your reply. I am also attracted to the fact that you get automatic issues of magazines when the new one goes on shelves; however, i do not believe you can access that feature with kobo?!?!

If i were to go ahead and get a nook, and register it with an american address, would my Canadian credit card address affect the purchasing of books from the B&N website?

Have you purchased/tried to use the B&N website for books, mags, etc...??

Thanks again for your time,

I really appreciate it!
Mae.flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:34 PM   #4
deborahjeanne
Zealot
deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook Color. Kobo Touch (died 2014). Kobo Glo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae.flood View Post
Thanks for your reply. I am also attracted to the fact that you get automatic issues of magazines when the new one goes on shelves; however, i do not believe you can access that feature with kobo?!?!

If i were to go ahead and get a nook, and register it with an american address, would my Canadian credit card address affect the purchasing of books from the B&N website?

Have you purchased/tried to use the B&N website for books, mags, etc...??

Thanks again for your time,

I really appreciate it!
I use my canadian credit card with no probem. Kobo magazines won't be in colour. I tried a free sample magazine, no subsciptions tried. I "discovered" the nook magazine reader - button at top of magazine page - it made a world of difference.

Can't remember how kobo does magazine updates.
deborahjeanne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barnes & noble, canadians, nookcolour