Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-27-2010, 12:53 PM   #16
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
It depends how you define "impressive". OLPC sparked a round of low-cost classroom PC's, yes, but they themselves have supplied less than 5% of them, and the education philosophy they started pushing has been effectively abandoned.
They've also never come close to the price points they originally advertised, and last I saw the company was losing money and had laid off the majority of their employees. They were making grand announcements of a 2nd generation device, but ended up scrapping it completely.

IMO, the buzz surrounding Mary Lou Jepsen reminds me of Steve Jobs in many ways. There are lots of people out there who seem to worship every statement that comes out of her mouth. Unlike Apple though, OLPC and (especially) Pixel Qi have never proven that they can deliver on any of it.

If you want me to believe you're capable of succeeding, then show me. Don't expect me to get excited based on nothing more than PR. Personally, the more hype and PR I see from a company without a real product, the more suspicious I get.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:23 PM   #17
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Well, the third paragraph is one I can certainly agree wholeheartedly with

As the netbooks, ASUS have impressed me far more than OLPC, and that's where I'll leave that. The EeePad, well, I'm waiting patiently.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2010, 04:24 PM   #18
etienne66
Groupie
etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 2, PRS-600 Black, PRS-650 Red, Adam w/ Pixel Qi(pre-ordered)
I for one am looking forward to the Notion Ink Adam. There is nothing else coming out that I want. So if it doesn't come out I simply won't be buying any device and I'll make do with what I've got. I can't see buying a device, which I will mainly do a lot of reading on, that has a battery life of only 10 measly hours. Most of the time reading in black and white will be fine for me, and I like that I can turn on the back-light and get color when I need it.

In the article, "The Apple of Adam’s eye" Notion Ink mentions that they should "piggyback" on a company like Sony. Although the comment sounded more like speculation, it would give them more of a chance of beating Apple.

Until I see it, it is just vaporware. I won't be holding my breath. I have too many other things in my life that deserve more attention.

Etienne66
etienne66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 03:42 PM   #19
dreadcptflint
Enthusiast
dreadcptflint began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 950
I am also looking to see an Adam. It is good to see some information on that they have some apps done. I would rather see the hard ware produced. If they continue to wait for a big bang then they will never produce it because the competition will be too entrenched. I hope that they are adding someone with some business savvy to their team.
dreadcptflint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:29 AM   #20
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
As of yesterday there is a new post on their blog, http://notionink.wordpress.com/. He says he is "leaving for Taiwan and getting good news for all of you", not sure what that means but I'm assuming it has something to do with the screens. No mention though of flash compatibility which was what I though was the prime hold up.

The linked video (which compares the Pixel Qi to the iPad) is pretty impressive.

I'm not holding my breath but I am getting a bit more optimistic for it.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert