Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 03-03-2010, 02:22 PM   #1
CoolDragon
Addict
CoolDragon doesn't litterCoolDragon doesn't litter

Device: none
Rotate direction

I am just wondering if the rotate direction (clockwise or counterclockwise) can be configured or set or hacked for the 800SG. The default way of rotating makes the flipbar access more difficult, if it rotates the other way, the flipbar would be more handy in landscape mode. Plus when the PDF zoom (auto fit width/view in landscape mode) is available in the upcoming firmware release, this rotation setting would make more sense.
CoolDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:41 PM   #2
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
rotate needs to be able to put any of the 4 sides at the bottom.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2010, 04:55 AM   #3
Matthijs
Groupie
Matthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enough

Device: iLiad, DR1000S, DR800SG
It's just a matter of changing dr.ini. But 'upside-down' is not supported.
Matthijs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:13 AM   #4
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
i want to use the flip bar with my left or right hand in the portrait orientation. that's the whole ergonomic design point of having the controls on the default "side" of the device. it's just one more baffling decision made by irex with this device.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:28 AM   #5
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthijs View Post
It's just a matter of changing dr.ini. But 'upside-down' is not supported.
Now it's 90° clockwise. How to change to counter-clockwise? Somebody tried the obvious (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=460) and it didn't work...
I'd prefer counter-clockwise, so the flipbar is on top.

Last edited by mgmueller; 03-08-2010 at 11:40 AM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2010, 12:24 PM   #6
Matthijs
Groupie
Matthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enough

Device: iLiad, DR1000S, DR800SG
I would expect
Code:
/apps/er/sys/display/rotation=clockwise
and
Code:
/apps/er/sys/display/rotation=anticlockwise
to work.

If it doesn't then the upcoming 2.0 release will fix that, because it does work on my development version...

See also ereader.schemas from the sysd sources.
Matthijs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:34 PM   #7
AlpGlide
Connoisseur
AlpGlide began at the beginning.

Device: dr900
will 2.0 support width fit landscape?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthijs View Post
I would expect
Code:
/apps/er/sys/display/rotation=clockwise
and
Code:
/apps/er/sys/display/rotation=anticlockwise
to work.

If it doesn't then the upcoming 2.0 release will fix that, because it does work on my development version...

See also ereader.schemas from the sysd sources.
will 2.0 support width fit landscape? if so, how will it do? divide one page to two, (is there any overlap) or slide? thanks
AlpGlide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:33 PM   #8
Mr. X
Connoisseur
Mr. X is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex DR800SG
Looking at the sysd source, would modifying system.c to support xrandr 'flip' and adjusting the wacom sensor mapping for the 4th orientation be all that's required, or is there other code I'm not seeing that makes hard-coded decisions based on the device being in portrait orientation? How about modifying sysd plus startup so that 'portrait' is always 'flip' (e.g. not adding a 4th "flip" state to the enum, just redefining the default to be flip)

holding the reader in my right hand is more natural and I would be fine with this being a must-swap-sysd-version-and-reboot kind of solution
Mr. X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:43 PM   #9
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
How about attacking this from the other direction. Instead of getting the device to flip the content, is there software that will take a PDF and save it with all of the pages "upside down" as images rather than text. That way, as far as the DR800 knows, it's just displaying a normal PDF.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:51 PM   #10
Mr. X
Connoisseur

not a bad idea for pdfs, but I also have a number of epubs and I'd like to read this way.

from the command line
Code:
pdftk in.pdf cat 1-endS output out.pdf
will do the trick for pdfs.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:47 PM   #11
Mr. X
Connoisseur

I'm having trouble recompiling sysd due to dependencies right now, but the attached program is a quick and dirty solution. Once I can get sysd built you'll be able to set a value in dr.ini for portrait to always be 'normal' or 'flipped'
  • From the normal portrait orientation run "Flip Screen"
  • To get back to "normal" rotate the screen twice from the menu
  • Don't run "Flip Screen" if in landscape mode, it won't properly alert programs to redraw
  • If something goes wrong just reboot (slide power switch over and hold for 5 seconds)
Attached Files
File Type: zip flip.zip (737 Bytes, 257 views)
Old 03-09-2010, 03:18 PM   #12
Mr. X
Connoisseur

Attached is a diff against the released sysd sources which adds a 'flip' mode to the DR800. I have only run it in the emulator thus far, and while the actual flip functionality works fine something with gconf is awry causing the falue specified in dr.ini to never get set in gconf/erconfig. Anyone more experienced than I at things gconf? What is needed to tell the system that the schema has changed?
Attached Files
File Type: txt ScreenFlip.diff.txt (13.4 KB, 233 views)
Old 03-09-2010, 03:38 PM   #13
Gertjan
ex-IRX developer
Gertjan doesn't litterGertjan doesn't litterGertjan doesn't litter

Device: Irex DR800S, DR1000S, iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. X View Post
Attached is a diff against the released sysd sources which adds a 'flip' mode to the DR800.
Nice job! I see that you've added a "flipped" keyword (line 257 of the diff) for the orientation sent to the micro driver (ionkdb). As that is not implemented, it won't have any effect. I don't know key mapping you'd like but you can find the receiving side of the command in the Linux source tree (/drivers/input/serial/ionkdb).
Quote:
What is needed to tell the system that the schema has changed?
Run this (via an install script) to import the schema change:
gconftool-2 --install-schema-file=/etc/gconf/schemas/ereader.schemas
Gertjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:21 PM   #14
Mr. X
Connoisseur

ah cool! I had tried that at one point, but I think that was before I realized that writes are very delayed in the simulator and just ^C-ing qemu was making my edits disappear. Appears to work beautifully in the simulator now.

So the big question before I install this on my $400 toy (and release a build others can try) is: does reflashing the firmware kick off from redboot or does linux need to successfully boot, or even more worrisome linux needs to boot and sysd need to be running? I'd like to not brick my reader before the credit card bill for it even arrives
Old 03-09-2010, 04:42 PM   #15
Mr. X
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertjan View Post
Nice job! I see that you've added a "flipped" keyword (line 257 of the diff) for the orientation sent to the micro driver (ionkdb). As that is not implemented, it won't have any effect. I don't know key mapping you'd like but you can find the receiving side of the command in the Linux source tree (/drivers/input/serial/ionkdb).
Ah right, the DR1000-only part I punted on 'cause I don't have one :-) Although reading the driver code I guess what left and right on the page bar means by default is controlled by the ionkbd orientation... Since there's already the direction flip for that I don't think the DR800 really needs a "flipped" mapping. When I feel like procrastinating and the 3.0 SDK for the DR1000 is out maybe I'll fix that part up for completeness.