Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-13-2017, 07:53 AM   #1
vincegre
vincegre began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 2014
Management through NextCloud ??

Hi

Discovering Calibre to manage at least correctly all my ebooks and edocuments, I have a question about design with the Calibre server. This is what I was thinking to do:

-> Move through Calibre all my library to a folder stored on my NextCloud.
-> Connect my tablet and phone to that directory so it can access my library.
-> Access also that library from my laptop when I'm in travel and wants to modify my library.

Is it ok to do it this way ?? I heard Google Drive kills Calibre libraries, hope it's not the same with NextCloud/OwnCloud.

Thanks

Vincèn
vincegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:13 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Moderator Notice
This seems to be a calibre question, not a calibre companion question. I will move it to the calibre forum.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2017, 09:19 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Basic rule:
Nothing is allowed to change the filename of a book EXCEPT Calibre

When Calibre stores a book, it logs where it put it (relative to the Library DB path). If something tweaks the name, that linkage is now broken
GD tweaks file names (as part of version controls?)

This same operation is why putting the Working (not a shadow copy) on a Networke drive is fragile, if not broken. The name transactions must happen together in real time. Delays, can allow a second change to get lost (BREAKS THE LOCKSTEP)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:43 AM   #4
vincegre

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Basic rule:
Nothing is allowed to change the filename of a book EXCEPT Calibre
Sounds logical

Quote:
When Calibre stores a book, it logs where it put it (relative to the Library DB path). If something tweaks the name, that linkage is now broken
ah yep important the file path to books files but if I store the whole think (db + books all together it should keep references ok for Calibre !

Quote:
GD tweaks file names (as part of version controls?)
GD*the graphic library ??*what's the link with Nextcloud ??
Old 07-13-2017, 10:21 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincegre View Post
Sounds logical

GD*the graphic library ??*what's the link with Nextcloud ??
Google Drive

Network cache/delays are the (write) enemy . Read only is fine if the folder/file name is not modified
Advert
Old 07-16-2017, 04:06 AM   #6
vincegre

Quote:
Network cache/delays are the (write) enemy . Read only is fine if the folder/file name is not modified
Oki got it but if I access files only from one software at all time (Calibre on my laptop or desktop, or Calibre Companion on my Android device) it should be fine no ?

I'n still confused how Companion works as will it be able to update db on the shared folder even if Calibre is not running ??

Thanks
Old 07-16-2017, 04:38 AM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
I'n still confused how Companion works as will it be able to update db on the shared folder even if Calibre is not running ??

Thanks
CC never updates the calibre database or anything else in a calibre library. Its Cloud Connection reads the db (make a copy) then uses information in the copy to access books in the cloud. The other two connections, Wireless Device and Content Server, use calibre to access the db and library.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 04:15 AM   #8
vincegre

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
CC never updates the calibre database or anything else in a calibre library. Its Cloud Connection reads the db (make a copy) then uses information in the copy to access books in the cloud. The other two connections, Wireless Device and Content Server, use calibre to access the db and library.
Thanks a lot for explanation so I better understand how it works between Calibre, Calibre Server and Calibre Companion.
I guess the best is that I setup a Calibre server with my whole library on a server avalaible through Internet and access it from my different devices using Companion (it should allow me to retrieve any books I want and update read status or be able to update library remotely right ?

Thanks

Vincèn
Old 07-20-2017, 07:20 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Thanks a lot for explanation so I better understand how it works between Calibre, Calibre Server and Calibre Companion.
I guess the best is that I setup a Calibre server with my whole library on a server avalaible through Internet and access it from my different devices using Companion (it should allow me to retrieve any books I want and update read status or be able to update library remotely right ?

Thanks

Vincèn
The only remote 'Update the Library" item is Read status/date.
All else must follow the rules of Calibre use .

'Dropping" (FTP, whatever..) a COPY of file into in Calibres 'Auto-add folder" is the only thing I know that is doable today other than running a remote desktop session