Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-27-2015, 11:30 PM   #1
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Cover feedback please?

It's for my novel American Ballerina. Here's the blurb (that Rizla so skillfully tweaked--thanks Rizla!):

Lily Russell is a world-class ballerina. In her mind at least.

She’ll stop at nothing to join the prestigious Royal Ballet, and her jealous ex-lover is fueling her fantasies.

Then Lily meets a king, who is no fantasy.

Two loves, two cultures and two worlds collide to force a single choice, a choice that may cost Lily her dreams, her sanity and even her life.

A mind-bending clash between what’s real and what’s imagined, American Ballerina is a compulsively readable suspense ride that never stops.

Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:43 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I don't like the font used in the title and the yellow is a bit bright. I don't see the ferris wheel fitting in with the blurb. It looks OK, but just doesn't fit.

I would expect there to be a picture of a ballerina on the front cover to fit in with the blurb.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2015, 12:07 AM   #3
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
What the heck?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:03 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I don't mind the font/layout for the title/author, but the rest of the cover makes me think of a gray, dark, depressing day during a cold, cold winter in a strange and depressing culture.

But hey! That's just me!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 10:01 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Can you explain your choice of cover, Gregg? Like others, I see no obvious connection between the cover and either the title or the blurb. An image of a ballerina on the cover would seem more logical.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2015, 10:07 AM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
If you upload the cover as an attachment, I'll be able to see it. (One of my internet connections blocks mediafire.)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:45 PM   #7
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Isn't that a picture of the London Eye? I agree that the association isn't obvious.

I'm going to ask a question I've been wondering: Gregg, how well do you know London? And English English? Well enough to be convincing?
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:47 PM   #8
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I don't like the font used in the title and the yellow is a bit bright. I don't see the ferris wheel fitting in with the blurb. It looks OK, but just doesn't fit.

I would expect there to be a picture of a ballerina on the front cover to fit in with the blurb.
Thanks. Yeah, that was my concern (that it doesn't fit). The roundabout connection is that that is the London Eye Ferris Wheel and my protagonist is an American (wannabe) ballerina in London.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:48 PM   #9
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
What the heck?
Ha ha. Yeah.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:48 PM   #10
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I don't mind the font/layout for the title/author, but the rest of the cover makes me think of a gray, dark, depressing day during a cold, cold winter in a strange and depressing culture.

But hey! That's just me!
I agree. It's kind of gloomy. The smoke. Night. Back to the drawing board.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:50 PM   #11
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Can you explain your choice of cover, Gregg? Like others, I see no obvious connection between the cover and either the title or the blurb. An image of a ballerina on the cover would seem more logical.
Hi Harry. The photo is of the London Eye ferris wheel. That is my, granted very faint, connection to the story because the main character is a wannabe ballerina in London. I'm starting over.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:53 PM   #12
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
If you upload the cover as an attachment, I'll be able to see it. (One of my internet connections blocks mediafire.)
Hey Paul. Don't know that it's worth seeing but I'm attaching it. (I'm going to scrap it.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AmericanBallerina.JPG
Views:	326
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	143253  
Old 10-28-2015, 12:55 PM   #13
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Isn't that a picture of the London Eye? I agree that the association isn't obvious.

I'm going to ask a question I've been wondering: Gregg, how well do you know London? And English English? Well enough to be convincing?
Hi issy. Yes, the London Eye. And yes, don't know London well but my main character there is an American so she won't know London all that well either. I'm sure some Americanisms will creep into her English English but that is understandable because she's an American.
Old 10-28-2015, 01:05 PM   #14
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
Hi issy. Yes, the London Eye. And yes, don't know London well but my main character there is an American so she won't know London all that well either. I'm sure some Americanisms will creep into her English English but that is understandable because she's an American.
But she'll still have to navigate London and the people she speaks to will be English and there's all the minutiae of daily life which is quite different from America.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 01:11 PM   #15
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
I didn't know London had a ferris wheel. Perhaps something more iconic like Big Ben. Even then the cover would confuse me.
Title American Ballerina
Cover England
Do I bother reading the blurb?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote