Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-08-2011, 08:35 AM   #1
inquiringmind
inquiringmind began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Best approach with more than one reader

First, I greet all of you on this forum. I am posting for the first time.

I recently purchased a Kindle 3 with wi-fi and am happy with the way it works. I'm not all excited about Amazon and the hold they have over you. Now that I have a reader my wife would like to have one, she has had catarac surgery and is not able to read unless she has lots of light. We understand that a colored reader with backlighting can even be read in the dark. It seems that Amazon is a long way from releasing their color reader. Another Kindle would I believe give us the ability to download books we have purhased to more than one device.

Does anyone know if Amazon will permit you to download from your archive to any device other than Kindle?

We are looking at a Nook or perhaps some android device.

I am even willing to say goodbye to my Kindle in favor of a product line that would make our readers compatible.

Any suggestions on which way to go?
inquiringmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:23 AM   #2
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
You can directly download to a Kindle application running on your tablet device, so you can easily combine Kindle plus iPad or one of the other Tablets out there. And when you do this, you can share books from your archive and download from within the application.

But honestly, I'm not sure a backlight screen is all that great a choice. I know my wife just had cataract surgery and she is quite happy with her Kindle. She used an external book light (See the Kindle forum for threads on book lights), and increased the font size quite a bit before her surgery. Coming out of it, however, she's actually seeing better than she has in years.

But if you really want backlighting, then an iPad, android tablet, or even Windows tablet, running the Kindle application, seems like a perfect solution.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2011, 09:26 AM   #3
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Also, just a comment on file format. Regardless of what you ultimately decide for a second device, I'd recommend using Calibre to keep a local eBook library you can use to format shift as required. Many eBooks will come with DRM, however, so you will need to google/bingle Apprentice Alf and get the Calibre plug-in.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:06 AM   #4
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
my wife and i share a kindle3 account and we have over 300 books that she can dload onto her kindle and iphone at ant time she wants and i dload the books on my kindle3 and my ipod touch , and whats nice is you dont have to put the books you dont wanna read on your device, while my wife and i read mostly the same books she does have a few sappy ones that i dont read, and she doesnt read some of my alternate history books.
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:14 PM   #5
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
You will not be able to download Amazon content to a Nook Color unless you have rooted the Nook Color and then downloaded the Kindle for Android App.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2011, 01:03 PM   #6
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Have her try a backlit device first, before you buy one. My eyes are not good, and I find the e-ink Kindle to be much more comfortable to read on than my iPad. Especially if you have floaters, backlighting is not as good. If she has great eyesight, then it might be fine.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:33 PM   #7
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I'm finding myself reading more and more of my Kindle books on my iPad vs. my Kindle. I find the experience quite pleasant, with the ease of tapping the screen to turn the page, and I really like the sepia color option. I have found the Kindle app is far easier to use than the Kindle when a book has footnotes, as with the app you can tap the footnote and the text appears, vs. having to use the five-way controller to move to the footnote on the Kindle.

I would definitely have her try a few different devices prior to making an expensive commitment, and try to stick with an iPad or an android device that has a native Kindle app, vs. trying to root the Nook Color.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote