Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-01-2024, 04:04 PM   #1
constantpraise
constantpraise began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Can I edit epubs and make it change mobi?

Hello all,

I just edited my first epub book in calibre, but found that I cannot download calibre books to my kindle paperwhite. When I tried converting my edited epub to mobi, none of the changes stuck. Is there a way to make the changes follow the conversion to mobi so I can read a nicely edited version on my kindle?

Thanks in advace!
constantpraise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 06:17 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
convert to AZW3. Mobi is an old version of HTML that is missing modern features
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 07:04 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I wonder if the issue is that the conversion to mobi is being done from the ORIGINAL_EPUB as opposed to the EPUB?

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 08:06 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I wonder if the issue is that the conversion to mobi is being done from the ORIGINAL_EPUB as opposed to the EPUB?

I turned that off just because I kept tripping over that bump
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 11:32 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I turned that off just because I kept tripping over that bump
Yep. But @constantpraise might not have.

PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 05:01 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
The issue is that mobi is very limited. An AZW3 will look much like a more complex epub2 because it's based on epub2. Mobi will only look like the epub2 if it's very simple, because there is only HTML3 with inline styles permitted on HTML3, no CSS or HTML5 like epub2 or azw3.

Only the K1, K2, DX and DXG need mobi any other old kindles without azw3 should be upgraded as mobi is terrible.
The K3 works well with azw3 after upgrade.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...MQC26VQQMM8XSW
Note there are three ranges of model the AZw3 update applies to and if your FW is really old earlier updates are needed first.

There is no reason to use ordinaly Mobi (KF7) on any version of Paperwhite, Oasis or a Voyage and Kindle Basic. It's only the 1st and 2nd Gen Kindles that have to use Mobi, which was already obsolete before the first Kindle was released!
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 05:50 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

I do wish that once the ORIGINAL_EPUB was written, it would not be used until you put it back. Fortunately, the Modify ePub plugin ignores ORIGINAL_EPUB so I can run it multiple times without an issue. Most time it takes two runs to say there's nothing left to modify.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre help, conversion to mobi