Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-07-2018, 01:54 PM   #1306
Labarum
Enthusiast
Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Thanks Glister.

Libby has a simple if rather juvenile interface, but yes, it works.

I now have the KA1 syncing books selected on the laptop.

The solution is in your aside "you can log in instead using Overdrive (an option is provided to do this, rather than using one of your library accounts)."

You must log in on the KA1 using your Overdrive account ID (email address) and password and then enter your library card number.

That makes sense as the system must need both details to tie everything together.

I think sync is now working via overdrive.com in the browser and the SA1 now shows as a registered device even if it identifies itself as an iPad.

Thanks again, Gilster. You have solved my problem. Perhaps the Kobo instructions should be more explicit!

Last edited by Labarum; 03-07-2018 at 05:05 PM.
Labarum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 02:45 PM   #1307
gilster
Connoisseur
gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle
Glad to help! Once I got this working (with assistance from the good people in this forum), I've found checking out library books on the Aura One a real plus. I'm sure you'll enjoy it as well.
gilster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2018, 02:37 PM   #1308
Labarum
Enthusiast
Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
All working smoothly now, thanks.

So I tried sideloading some unlocked PDFs and ePubs.

Now, as noted above they go by default into the root of the KA1, but each book has three files - the book itself, the cover jpg and a metadata opf file.

If I copy them across in a zip, it doesn't work.

If I create a subfolder in the root of the KA1 and copy the three files into it, it doesn't work.

If I put all three files untidily in root, the KA1 recognises the new book.

But if I sideload lots into root it will become difficult to manage.

What is the solution?

Thanks.
Labarum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 04:58 PM   #1309
mr universum
mr universum began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura
I am new to this site. I have a KOBO aura (not aura one) so hope it's ok to post my query.
I have Calibre on my windows vista laptop and found that by having version 1.48 it worked fine and recognised my old KOBO Aura and everything was 'ticketty boo'. All was well until my aura developed a fault and was replaced under warranty (that's the good news). Although my laptop recognises the new reader Calibre won't - and there is no 'send to device' icon in the toolbar. I have uninstalled Calibre and reloaded. I have reset KOBO to factory settings and synced it again - but Calibre still refusing to see it.
mr universum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 05:53 PM   #1310
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labarum View Post
If I create a subfolder in the root of the KA1 and copy the three files into it, it doesn't work.
This should work unless it's inside a folder that starts with a period (i.e. ".folder").
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2018, 07:14 PM   #1311
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr universum View Post
I am new to this site. I have a KOBO aura (not aura one) so hope it's ok to post my query.
I have Calibre on my windows vista laptop and found that by having version 1.48 it worked fine and recognised my old KOBO Aura and everything was 'ticketty boo'. All was well until my aura developed a fault and was replaced under warranty (that's the good news). Although my laptop recognises the new reader Calibre won't - and there is no 'send to device' icon in the toolbar. I have uninstalled Calibre and reloaded. I have reset KOBO to factory settings and synced it again - but Calibre still refusing to see it.
You need to update calibre. As each device and firmware version is released, the KoboTouch driver is updated to recognise and support them. For the Aura ONE, you need at least calibre v2.67, but I would recommend going to the latest release.

There is a version of the KoboTouch driver that adds support for some of the newer devices, but, it cannot support anything that runs firmware later than 3.19.x.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:25 PM   #1312
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:

Now, as noted above they go by default into the root of the KA1, but each book has three files - the book itself, the cover jpg and a metadata opf file.

What is the solution?

Thanks.
Why are you copying the cover image and OPF file from the calibre library directory you are using? And why aren't you just using calibre to send the files to the device when it is connected? Calibre knows what to do to get the books into a place that the firmware understands and can use. Plus it can do a lot of other useful stuff.

Maybe you aren't using calibre, but that is the only reason I can think of to have the cover image and OPF file with the book file. If you have them for some other reason, just ignore them when putting the book onto the device.

As to using a subdirectory, it works perfectly here. But, as robko said, the directory's name cannot start with a dot. The firmware does not scan these looking for books. There are some other restrictions on the names, but avoiding unusual characters usually avoids this.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 01:44 PM   #1313
bagpiper1
Banned
bagpiper1 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura edition 2 and Kobo Aura ONE
Cool Still waiting for mine !

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagepack View Post
Well its here

Initial impressions? Great size and v. light and thin. I post back when its set up.
I am still waiting for the Kobo Aura One to come in the mail ! I am in the USA and the only way I could order it online for a reasonable price was from Kobo's own website store. Chapters.Indigo, Amazon, and Ebay had it but the price was too high. I heard of people getting it for cheap from before or around December from Indigo but it is currently 10 dollars more expensive, not potentially counting shipping, than buying it direct from Kobo.

Since, I ordered it yesterday and it is Saturday I doubt they even started packing and shipping it to me yet !

I have a Kobo Aura edition 2 to use in the meantime but I have a couple of light scratches on the screen that are mostly not that noticeable but in some light can be somewhat annoying.

Anyway, So I will be the proud owner of both a Kobo Aura One and Kobo Aura edition 2. I plan on using both but the Aura One will be used at home, mostly, and if I got to the beach or the pool there too. The Kobo Aura edition 2 will be used as a more portable device I can just throw in my pocket and read on the go, more, since I don't care about damaging it , losing it , or having it stolen and whatnot etc....

Anyway, my order is probably shipping from Canada and my receipt says ground shipping but does anyone know if that is UPS or Fedex etc... ?

Last edited by bagpiper1; 03-10-2018 at 01:46 PM.
bagpiper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 06:47 PM   #1314
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Too late for you now, but the Kobo store likely charged you in U.S. dollars whereas Indigo would have charged you in Canadian dollars and with the exchange rate it would likely have netted out cheaper (not always the case, especially if your credit card hammers you on exchange fees, but usually works out cheaper).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 09:08 PM   #1315
bagpiper1
Banned
bagpiper1 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura edition 2 and Kobo Aura ONE
Unhappy It was not clear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Too late for you now, but the Kobo store likely charged you in U.S. dollars whereas Indigo would have charged you in Canadian dollars and with the exchange rate it would likely have netted out cheaper (not always the case, especially if your credit card hammers you on exchange fees, but usually works out cheaper).
Oh, well, it wasn't apparent to me that such a thing might be the case because the Canadian price symbol was $ same as American symbol $ instead of USD$ or Can$ or C$ so I just thought the website, probably, recognized I was from America, via my IP address , and dynamically rendered the webpage on the fly to convert to American dollars or whatnot.

Last edited by bagpiper1; 03-10-2018 at 09:16 PM.
bagpiper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:52 PM   #1316
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

What is the solution?

Thanks.
I hate to make nasty assumptions but if you are seeing a .zip or .rar file with 3 files in it, say ebookname.epub, cover.jpg and metadata.opf, I'd would suggest that the files are not being obtained from a legitimate source. If you are seeing them in a directory on your computer, it seems rather likely you are attempting to manually copy from your calibre library to your ereader.

I've never had an ebook downloaded from a legitimate site that had anything other than the ebook file itself as a epub or pdf (not counting the .acsm file used to download Adobe DRMed files as epub or pdf). For now, I would suggest copying only the filename.epub or filename.pdf to your ereader. The other two would only be of interest to calibre.

For managing your ebooks and metadata plus handling the copying to your ereader, calibre is probably the best solution. Also note that copying a file to a directory with a '.' as the first character of the name will not work as that indicates a hidden directory to a Unix/Linux filesystem.

Last edited by DNSB; 03-11-2018 at 10:55 PM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:42 PM   #1317
RJAJ
RJAJ began at the beginning.

Device: KA1
Has the Comfortlight settings gone bad with the last update? I read at bedtime with the room lights off. The brightness is set to Auto and usually dims down to around 6%. Nowadays it stays at a bright 22%, with or without the lights on. The reader doesn't seem to auto sense the light being turned off and dim the screen. Anyone else in the same boat?
RJAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 01:50 AM   #1318
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJAJ View Post
Has the Comfortlight settings gone bad with the last update? I read at bedtime with the room lights off. The brightness is set to Auto and usually dims down to around 6%. Nowadays it stays at a bright 22%, with or without the lights on. The reader doesn't seem to auto sense the light being turned off and dim the screen. Anyone else in the same boat?
Not as far as I have noticed. I just tested by turning auto brightness on and flipping the room light off. The brightness went from 22% to 5% and when I flipped the light back on, it climbed back up to 20%.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:42 PM   #1319
mr universum
mr universum began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
You need to update calibre. As each device and firmware version is released, the KoboTouch driver is updated to recognise and support them. For the Aura ONE, you need at least calibre v2.67, but I would recommend going to the latest release.

There is a version of the KoboTouch driver that adds support for some of the newer devices, but, it cannot support anything that runs firmware later than 3.19.x.
Really appreciate your help. I have a windows vista home premium laptop. I downloaded your suggested version 2.37. When I then tried to open it up I got and on-screen' message saying it would not work with windows XP and I should revert to version 1.48.
From my original post you can see my Kobo aura worked well with 1.48. It was only when I got a new aura under warranty that it would not recognise the device - even though the computer shows it connected.
Any other ideas to help this idiot please.
mr universum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:40 PM   #1320
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr universum View Post
Really appreciate your help. I have a windows vista home premium laptop. I downloaded your suggested version 2.37. When I then tried to open it up I got and on-screen' message saying it would not work with windows XP and I should revert to version 1.48.
As that message says, your only choice is to update to Windows 7 or later, Mac OSX 10.8 or higher or a Linux release that supports Calibre's dependencies. After close to 17 years, it's time to retire Windows XP.

Last edited by DNSB; 03-18-2018 at 09:43 PM.