Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-06-2018, 11:54 AM   #1
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
install latest calibre - windows says NO - fix ?

Windows Defender SmartScreen prevented an unrecognised app from starting. Running this app might put your PC at risk.

Application:
calibre-64bit-3.27.1.msi
Publisher:
Kovid Goyal

windows 10 home v1803
i was able to force it by using run anyway.. would rather not have to to that every time though
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 12:14 PM   #2
mrbrimi
mrbrimi began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Arc
This is a Windows 10 "feature", Windows Defender doesn't recognize the program "yet".

As the day progresses and more users download the warning disappears.

If you are downloading from a reputable site then is safe force it, otherwise just wait it out.
mrbrimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 01:03 PM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbrimi View Post
This is a Windows 10 "feature", Windows Defender doesn't recognize the program "yet".

As the day progresses and more users download the warning disappears.

ok thanks - that could explain why I did not see a warning with the previous update. I was probably nearer the back of the queue that time around

the reason I did this update quickly is that a pop up announcing it it was was ruining my world cup live stream this afternoon. That's another feature I could do without. previously there was just an " update available" line in the calibre main window, not something that would appear on top of a live full screen video stream.
is there some recent calibre preference that controls agressive pop up announcements ?
Old 07-06-2018, 03:17 PM   #4
mrbrimi
mrbrimi began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Arc
You can turn the pop up off.
Go to "Preferences" choose "Behavior" then near the top righthand side uncheck "Notify when a new version is available"
mrbrimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 03:25 PM   #5
stumped
Wizard

Confused.
I thought That used to just control whether you saw update available as a blue line at food of main window,
Point is that I have not changed that setting for years but seeing a pop up appear front and centre over other display is new program behaviour ?

I guess I can turn that off and see what happens next Friday. I do want to be advised, but only within calibres own window. I don't want a big rectangular box to appear on top of full screen video stream that I am watching, in couch mode, which requires me to get up and walk to desktop pc to clear it
Old 07-06-2018, 03:43 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The solution is to turn off SmartScreen and leave it off. I have it off and I'm not at risk for whatever SmartA$$Screen is supposed to protect me against.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 03:51 PM   #7
stumped
Wizard

Not aware I had turned smart screen on, actually. maybe the big 1803 update helpfully did it for me.
I don't use Windows defender either, I use malware bytes instead, which should have disabled defender.

The notification pop up is the more annoying new issue
Old 07-06-2018, 03:59 PM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
Confused.
I thought That used to just control whether you saw update available as a blue line at food of main window,
Point is that I have not changed that setting for years but seeing a pop up appear front and centre over other display is new program behaviour ?

I guess I can turn that off and see what happens next Friday. I do want to be advised, but only within calibres own window. I don't want a big rectangular box to appear on top of full screen video stream that I am watching, in couch mode, which requires me to get up and walk to desktop pc to clear it
I've used Calibre since 0.6.xx and iirc, the pop-up update notification has always been there. I seem to recall there being a checkbox to disable it on the pop-up itself.

The blue line with the latest version available shows regardless of the notification setting.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:16 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
FWIW : you can get RSS notification of new versions, there's a link at the bottom of the calibre home page. The way I use RSS, I only see the notify message when I look at my RSS feed i.e. no interrupts. And the message will stay there until I open it or mark it as read. I have the calibre pop-up turned off.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:31 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
I don't use Windows defender either, I use malware bytes instead, which should have disabled defender.
I run Defender and MWB, I've never seen any indication that MWB does or even can disable Defender. One of the features of MWB is that it can be run alongside other AV products, most of them can't.

Defender has detected threats that MWB didn't - such as the malware that infected CCleaner shortly after it was acquired by Avast.

Added: I don't have anything excluded from Defender or MWB. I have MS's nanny state objects (UAC and Smartscreen) disabled.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-06-2018 at 07:38 PM.
Old 07-07-2018, 04:48 AM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I have [. . . ] Smartscreen disabled.

BR
No I don't - I just checked it, it must have changed in 1803. Pretty sure in an earlier release it could be On or Off, and I had it Off.

It now offers Block, Warn, and Off for Files and Desktop Apps, Microsoft Edge, and Store Apps. Each of which are set to Warn, given I've not had any Smartscreen interventions I'll leave it as is.

BR