Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-21-2013, 10:32 AM   #61
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KFire HD, KFire, KTD 3g, KT, K4B, K4S, K3g, K3g SO, K2, K1
Angry Update on the poetic covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SampleAndy View Post
Actually, the current poetic cover doesn't. For $4.95 and free shipping, I figured I couldn't beat it since I wasn't having much success with modifying this case with the magnets I had. It might be a newer model; the chrome sword and poetic instead if being horizontal are vertical up the outside edge. It protects the screen, turns the PW off and on, and it's dirt cheap. I don't know how much drop protection it gives since it's a hard polyethylene shell with no play, but since I don't plan to drop it...

I can use the tinfoil to make a hat so Amazon can't tell what I'm reading.
Update on the poetic cover.

I really liked the first one I got, so for the price, I got a second one. I figured that opening and closing the case would have to eventually wear out the "hinge" so to play it safe... Turns out poetic has real quality control issues. In the new one, the magnets that hold the cover closed actually stick out, instead of being flush, and you can feel the magnet inside the front cover. The second one DOES sleep when you fold the cover all the way back, and it doesn't fold square, either. Looks like I just got a good one the first time. As always, YMMV.
SampleAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:48 PM   #62
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: k1 - KAO2, ipads, h2o, KA1, inkBOOK, T80s, Mars, Nova Pro
Quote:
Update on the poetic cover.

I really liked the first one I got, so for the price, I got a second one. I figured that opening and closing the case would have to eventually wear out the "hinge" so to play it safe... Turns out poetic has real quality control issues. In the new one, the magnets that hold the cover closed actually stick out, instead of being flush, and you can feel the magnet inside the front cover. The second one DOES sleep when you fold the cover all the way back, and it doesn't fold square, either. Looks like I just got a good one the first time. As always, YMMV.
Definitely a difference in the individual covers and it sounds like my experience was the reverse of yours. I sent for a second one and it doesn't have the problem with folding back turning the PW off like my first one did (layers of foil mostly took care of that, but I know that didn't work for everyone). Also the newer one seems to fold back more squarely. Both mine have the logo up the side. The second one is definitely an improvement. I was hoping a change had been made, but your experience seems to negate that idea unless they're filling orders with ones that have been returned. They were out of stock yesterday. Back in stock today.
jscris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:30 PM   #63
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I really think it's in how carefully the pieces are assembled. It seems that the magnet on the second one is in exactly the wrong place; if I FORCE the cover to be square, instead of where it wants to be naturally, there's no problem. If it slides just a little bit out of square, the Kindle goes to sleep... sorta. It's not always a "clean" shutdown.

I think they may have just received a fresh shipment from the factory. The first one didn't really have any smell that I noticed, but the second one has a smell that I can smell on my hands, even with the cold that I'm fighting. It's not a plastic/resin smell, it almost seems like a leather smell, although I doubt there's any leather involved.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:21 PM   #64
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Quote:
I really think it's in how carefully the pieces are assembled. It seems that the magnet on the second one is in exactly the wrong place; if I FORCE the cover to be square, instead of where it wants to be naturally, there's no problem. If it slides just a little bit out of square, the Kindle goes to sleep... sorta. It's not always a "clean" shutdown.

I think they may have just received a fresh shipment from the factory. The first one didn't really have any smell that I noticed, but the second one has a smell that I can smell on my hands, even with the cold that I'm fighting. It's not a plastic/resin smell, it almost seems like a leather smell, although I doubt there's any leather involved.
I forgot to mention that. First one (like your second one, apparently) had a strong smell. It did go away in a day or two, but it was as you describe. Second one, like your first one, faintly smells, but not much and not unpleasantly. Second one was shipped on the 18th from Indiana. First one (the worst one) shipped from Kentucky.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:27 PM   #65
SampleAndy
Addict

I'm unsure of the significance, but the problematical one DID ship from Lexington, KY. According to tracking from Amazon, the good one came from San Francisco.

j, Did you say that you'd exchanged one? Or did you (like somebody else I know) just order a second one? For the price, I'm half tempted to just soak it in hot water and see if I can stretch it into shape.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:06 PM   #66
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie-Posie View Post
Whew, good!
Can't wait for both the PW and the cover to arrive... 10 days to go!
I ordered mine on a Wednesday evening and they were delivered, in the same box, Thursday morning. I was stunned.

Now, I live in A Major Metropolitan Area, but still....
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:09 PM   #67
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
As a guy, the color isn't critical but I'm glad the metal clasp is metallic and not black. My Kindle Basic cover is solid black and if I set the device down on my microwave or even my very dark brown occasional table it disappears. I've stuck a sticker on the Kindle Basic case to help me find it.
Yes. We are Guys. We only have - or need - about 8 colors in our vocabulary anyway, most of them "I dunno...blue?". Except for the Gay Guys, I suppose. But that's their problem...
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:41 AM   #68
kledor
dreamer
kledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it is

Device: Kindle PW
Just how strong are the magnets in the cover? I usually keep / carry my devices stacked, so my phone near my kindle, the kindle in front of the laptop in the bag. Can it do any harm?
kledor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:12 AM   #69
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kledor View Post
Just how strong are the magnets in the cover? I usually keep / carry my devices stacked, so my phone near my kindle, the kindle in front of the laptop in the bag. Can it do any harm?
No, it won't harm anything.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:48 AM   #70
kledor
dreamer
kledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it is

Great, thank you for the quick reply.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:57 AM   #71
jscris
Addict

Quote:
I'm unsure of the significance, but the problematical one DID ship from Lexington, KY. According to tracking from Amazon, the good one came from San Francisco.

j, Did you say that you'd exchanged one? Or did you (like somebody else I know) just order a second one? For the price, I'm half tempted to just soak it in hot water and see if I can stretch it into shape.
Kept the first one and used the foil. At the time didn't know there was that much difference between the individual cases. People were then saying theirs didn't have the magnet problem, so I ordered another, thinking they might have fixed the problem (and thought that was true until I saw your post). I have some other third-party covers, but like this one best now because of the magnets holding the cover shut. Interesting both our bad ones shipped from KY. Hot water?
Old 02-22-2013, 02:18 PM   #72
SampleAndy
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulboogaloo View Post
I bought this one http://www.mobilefun.fr/36644-housse...---pourpre.htm
for its quite cheap price and good looking, but I must say I'm facing the same issues as mentionned regarding the smart on/off switching
Many times flipping it off doesn't put the Kindle in standby, and moreover, I can't even switch off pressing the button, it switches the Kindle on again!
And stranger thing : sometimes when I open the cover, the Kindle is still showing the text, not screensaver... but the backlight is totally switched off! For those who absolutely want to be able to switch it off, can be interesting
More seriously, do you know guys where the magnet is supposed to be? I could try to remove it or something...
Thanks!
First, since nobody else seems to have answered, the sensor is somewhere in the lower right corner of the Kindle, so the magnet is somewhere in the lower left corner of the cover. The cover I'm having trouble with has what looks like a 3/8" (10mm") round magnet, centered 1" (28mm?) from the outside edge, and centered 1/2" (12mm?) from the bottom.

My Kindle is jail-broken with the screensaver hack that displays the cover of the last read book. Since I started playing with the defective cover, I've been experiencing weird problem with the Kindle, similar to what I think soulboogaloo was describing. Instead of showing the cover, it would show the text where I'd stopped reading. I was trying to read last night, and no matter what book I picked, it just didn't feel comfortable. It was set to the same font and size as before, but the text seemed too small and the lines were crammed too close together. I haven't changed any of those settings or the light settings since I found something comfortable, but I decided to check the light settings anyway. I've been sick, and figured maybe my eyes were more tired or something. The light was set on 7, just the way I like it, but I tried bumping it up to 8 to see if it would make a difference. There was this blinding flash (comparatively speaking) and I realized that the light had been turned OFF for an undetermined time.

I restarted the Kindle and everything seems to be fine today. Could the defective cover be blinking the Kindle off and on too fast for the screensaver process to be successfully completed, leaving the Kindle in an unstable state? Should I be concerned that there is some other problem just waiting to happen?

Thanks for reading.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #73
kledor
dreamer

SampleAndy, I'm - occasionally - having the same problem as you with the light and cover, though I don't have the official cover. I have noticed that the 'lights off but still showing text and not screensaver' problem occurs when I do the following:
- close the cover but open it almost immediately (the screen flashes when I do this, as if it was just bringing up the screensaver, but couldn't because I already opened the cover)
- close the cover and it doesn't line up perfectly with the sensor. I usually check this by gently peering under the cover at the top of the cover. Then I check the sides of the cover to see if they align perfectly, peer inside again, and if the sides are in place, the screen shows the screensaver.
Unfortunately, only restarting the Kindle, or using the physical button to unlock seems to help this problem.