Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-19-2018, 08:44 AM   #61
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
That's impressive. I don't think mine would last quite that long - it doesn't seem to, but I do the screen brighter than you so that may make the difference. I still need to officially test since I'm still curious.
The two biggest sources of continuous power drain on a Kindle are the frontlight and WiFi. To maximise battery life, keep WiFi turned off, and the light at the minimum level that allows you to clearly read the screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 12:05 PM   #62
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The two biggest sources of continuous power drain on a Kindle are the frontlight and WiFi. To maximise battery life, keep WiFi turned off, and the light at the minimum level that allows you to clearly read the screen.
I'm aware of this. I keep the Wi-Fi off unless I'm purchasing a book. My PW4 has a darker screen than the PW3, so I have to keep it turned up brighter for comfort level when indoors.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 05:26 AM   #63
mrnikt
mrnikt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Well I have similar problems with battery - PW3
1. Since one of firmware updates - battery is not reaching 100% after 8 hours of charging. Checked with different chargers and cables.
2. Reader in idle state (fully charged and hidden in a drawer) self discharged to 80% within one week It was not used, cover was closed all the time.
3. I made 2 or 3 factory resets ... but no success , battery is still wrong
WHAT THE HELL ????
Is the battery worn off and i need do replace it ???
Or maby this indexing bug ?? PLease I need an advice how to COMPLETELY clean my PW3.. I read some suggestion about deleting manually all books and some files in system folders... but which ones ???
mrnikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 10:09 AM   #64
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnikt View Post
Well I have similar problems with battery - PW3
1. Since one of firmware updates - battery is not reaching 100% after 8 hours of charging. Checked with different chargers and cables.
2. Reader in idle state (fully charged and hidden in a drawer) self discharged to 80% within one week It was not used, cover was closed all the time.
3. I made 2 or 3 factory resets ... but no success , battery is still wrong
WHAT THE HELL ????
Is the battery worn off and i need do replace it ???
Or maby this indexing bug ?? PLease I need an advice how to COMPLETELY clean my PW3.. I read some suggestion about deleting manually all books and some files in system folders... but which ones ???
Was airplane mode on when you experienced the massive battery drain? If airplane mode was on and it still drained quickly (even after multiple factory resets), that suggests battery might need replacing.

On the PW4, I think the major problem was the device was constantly calling home to do a firmware update if wifi was left enabled.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 05:45 AM   #65
mrnikt
mrnikt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Yes, Airplane mode was ON.
mrnikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 02:28 PM   #66
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
There is much to like about the new Kindle especially since I replaced an older one which was minus some of the new features. What is not to like is the poor battery life. I have done all the right things but no change. It goes down about 20% in a day or so with moderate reading and no wifi.
I looked at the product homepage on Amazon and searched user comments and there are many with the same issue.
I am not returning it yet, hoping there might be an update due to the high number of buyers with this problem. Also an early replacement might result in getting another K with the same issue.
There are some reviewers praising the battery but the critics outnumber them. I would appreciate any comments and feedback from others. I have not posted a review on Amazon but will soon. Thanks everyone.
I would be quite happy with five days of "moderate" reading on a charge. I'm 78-years old, my eyes are just darned near the same age, and my Paperwhite light is always on high and I don't bother to turn off WiFi. I don't turn off WiFi because I have two Paperwhites so one charges and waits while I read on the other one. If I knew how much quicker the PW4 is over it's predecessors for charging I'd probably have one.

I know people who consider themselves "moderate" readers who have trouble with their Kindle going to empty in the dresser drawer. My Kindles are good, I'm guessing, for 500 to 600 pages on a charge but I rarely let them go below 25%.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 04:45 PM   #67
WestCactus
Zealot
WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Oasis 1 & 3, Fire 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I would be quite happy with five days of "moderate" reading on a charge. I'm 78-years old, my eyes are just darned near the same age, and my Paperwhite light is always on high and I don't bother to turn off WiFi. I don't turn off WiFi because I have two Paperwhites so one charges and waits while I read on the other one. If I knew how much quicker the PW4 is over it's predecessors for charging I'd probably have one.

I know people who consider themselves "moderate" readers who have trouble with their Kindle going to empty in the dresser drawer. My Kindles are good, I'm guessing, for 500 to 600 pages on a charge but I rarely let them go below 25%.
Do you find them syncing well between them when you switch?
WestCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 11:16 AM   #68
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
I unregistered mine and usually turn off auto update if that’s an option. I also only have up to 10 books loaded at a time. My batteries on the 2018 PW last up to a month if reading very little or a week if reading a lot.
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote