Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-10-2018, 03:15 PM   #1
Darrell Conner
Darrell Conner began at the beginning.

Device: None
Epub Errors

Hi guys, new to the forum and hoping someone here knows how to address an error in a file for my book. I have it on Smashwords and there is an error keeping it from going into a premium catalog or something along those lines. When I ran a check on Epub Validator these came up:

ERROR OEBPS/content.opf Line-51 Position-111 Fragment identifier is not defined.

WARNING OEBPS/Images/conner ebook cover.jpg - - Filename contains spaces, therefore URI escaping is necessary. Consider removing spaces from filename.

I renamed the file but it's still getting the same warning, so I guess I need to rename it somewhere other than in Downloads with the prompts that come up by right clicking. Any help will be appreciated.
Darrell Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 03:50 PM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
What's the new filename? Probably simpler to just rename it to "cover.jpg".

What's on line 51 of content.opf? On Windows, you can install something like Notepad++ to make it easier to edit source code.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2018, 04:09 PM   #3
Darrell Conner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
What's the new filename? Probably simpler to just rename it to "cover.jpg".

What's on line 51 of content.opf? On Windows, you can install something like Notepad++ to make it easier to edit source code.
That's the problem, I don't know what line 51 is. In the Kindle version it numerically lists pages but not the Epub file. And for some reason I am not having the ability to edit. In renaming it, I removed all spaced and simply have MagnitudeoftheCrossEpub5, but that's not removing whatever is going on, so not sure what to think of that either. I went to properties but didn't see how file name might be changed there. I changed it simply by right-clicking and hitting the rename prompt.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:32 PM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell Conner View Post
That's the problem, I don't know what line 51 is. In the Kindle version it numerically lists pages but not the Epub file. And for some reason I am not having the ability to edit. In renaming it, I removed all spaced and simply have MagnitudeoftheCrossEpub5, but that's not removing whatever is going on, so not sure what to think of that either. I went to properties but didn't see how file name might be changed there. I changed it simply by right-clicking and hitting the rename prompt.
It is line 51 in the content.opf file

You would probably get better help in the EPUB forum:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=179
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 05:19 PM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
What did you use to create the epub?

An epub file is just a zip file with a specific structure. Unzip it, and you can open the content.opf using a text editor such as Notepad++.

Alternately, probably easiest to download and install Sigil and use that to inspect/edit the epub.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2018, 06:07 PM   #6
Darrell Conner

ePub Issues

I would also add that I used a publishing company to do this project so the files I have are what they sent me. I cannot find a way to even edit much less know what to do if I could figure that out.

Last edited by pdurrant; 10-11-2018 at 03:08 AM.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:14 PM   #7
Darrell Conner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
What did you use to create the epub?

An epub file is just a zip file with a specific structure. Unzip it, and you can open the content.opf using a text editor such as Notepad++.

Alternately, probably easiest to download and install Sigil and use that to inspect/edit the epub.
I used Word 2013.

I created a thread on ePub forum. I was able to find the file the publisher sent me and open it in Word but not sure how to progress from there.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:15 PM   #8
Darrell Conner

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
It is line 51 in the content.opf file

You would probably get better help in the EPUB forum:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=179
What is the content.opf file and how do I find that in the doc?
Old 10-10-2018, 06:46 PM   #9
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Hi Darrell - welcome to MR !

There's a couple things here:

1) If you've paid a publishing company to create these files and they aren't working, then you need to go back to them to have them fix it.

2) You will need to understand how to open the files up and make some minor corrections if you do not follow #1.

- The fragment identifier is found on line 51, at the 111th character position from the beginning of the line in your content.opf file. If you use an epub editor like Sigil or Calibre Editor then you can easily navigate to that point. Once there you are more than likely going to find some kind of reference to a link that no longer exists. eg 'href="index.html#SOMEPOINT" ' where SOMEPOINT is not actually marked with id="SOMEPOINT". You will either need to delete the "#SOMEPOINT" or go into the file and add the reference.

- If you use Sigil or Calibre Editor you can easily rename the file over on the left side (in the file browser area) and the editor will automatically update that filename everywhere in the ebook.

Cheers,
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:31 PM   #10
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
What is the content.opf file and how do I find that in the doc?
epub files are really zip files with some constraints on what must be in them.

Unzip the epub file and one of the files will be content.opf

It sounds like you need help from actual epub gurus.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:01 PM   #11
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Also, please don't double post... If you want to move this to a different forum, then just ask one of the moderators.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:27 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Download and install Sigil. Open the epub with Sigil, locate the content.opf file at the bottom of the file browser window and open it. Browse down to line 51.

At a WEG, you'll see a line similar to the following:

Code:
<reference type="text" title="Dedication" href="Text/part003.xhtml#aid-39"/>
where the #aid-39 is a fragment identifier which should match to an id="aid-39" somewhere in one of the text files. For the most part, you can remove the identifier since it has already been removed elsewhere.

You might want to take a look at ePub Error fragment identifier is not defined in OEBPS for more information.

Edit: Please do not double post. It's extremely annoying to read multiple posts with the same content.

Last edited by DNSB; 10-10-2018 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Complaint about double posting. EAB!
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 03:09 AM   #13
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Moderator Notice
Threads merged.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:56 AM   #14
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
I used Word 2013.

I created a thread on ePub forum. I was able to find the file the publisher sent me and open it in Word but not sure how to progress from there.
Darrell:

You can't edit an ePUB, using Word. Or your MOBI Kindle file.

Firstly, your conversion house should be able to fix this issue with the ePUB. They should have ensured that it would pass ePUBcheck, before they gave it to you. If they didn't, then you did not get what you paid for.

Ask them to fix it. If it's in the OPF, given your knowledge level--no offense--you really oughn't to mess with it, not until you have more under your belt than you do. It's probably something minor, but nonetheless, the OPF and the NCX should not be messed with cavalierly. Especially the OPF.

Please report back here and confirm when they've fixed it. If they're some fly-by-night or Fiverr that won't fix it, come back and one of us can help you more directly.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 11:56 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Download and install Sigil. Open the epub with Sigil, locate the content.opf file at the bottom of the file browser window and open it. Browse down to line 51.
Given that Sigil modifies ePub when opened, line 51 may not be line 51. if you have Calibre's eBook editor set to not diddle the metadata on open, that Calibre's eBook Editor would work to find line 51. But that means going into the editor changing to option to no longer diddle the metadata and then open the ePub and given the OP is a newbie, that's not going to happen either.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote